Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foobat
Nov 25, 2008

question to the emc guys

I inherited a cx3, mirrored with 52tb of storage about a year ago and setup by the guy before me. We've got a setup where each of the luns is basically exported as an nfs share on a rhel5 box. So

emcpowera -> home01
emcpowerb -> home02
emcpower? -> home09

This of course is becomes a pain for adding users, or having to shuffle them around if a lun runs out of space. I'd like to just use the volume manager to make them "homes" or something appropriate but I have no idea whether this is best practice or just retarted.

Ofc, i'd like to setup some sort of failover for our nfs service but that's another story.

Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobat
Nov 25, 2008

paperchaseguy posted:

You want one home directory instead of three? Sure, that's possible with a logical volume manager. Or you could merge the three LUNs into one large metavolume. The problem is then you have a 52TB filesystem. What happens when you reboot and have to do a fsck? Or a crash of the host where you certainly will have to clean it? I haven't seen a lot of large Linux / ext3 filesystems so I can't say for sure, but I would think that the fscks would take a large amount of time. What happens now when you reboot, how large is your biggest filesystem? The largest filesystem in my memory was a 10TB NTFS that was a bear after a crash. They eventually cut it down to ten 1TB filesystems.

sorry didn't make it clear, i have about 20 luns, each is about a terrabyte, and i'm just wondering what other guys do.

I'm getting to a point where a group of users have generated more than a couple terrabytes of actual data and i'd rather not have to tell them, "well you now how 3 or 4 groups spaces for your data" as that is a good way to get data replication and for them to constantly bitch and moan.