Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: ↓↓ Sorry, I'm stupid. I was directed towards the NAS thread, saw this and thought "Oh hey, that's probably it!", not realizing that enterprise is a bit outside my requirements (and price, I suspect).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I'd say the biggest issue with top-load is that you have to pull the chassis out of the rack to replace a HDD. Yes I'm sure that if it is properly installed with the right rails and a suitable cable arm fitted you could do the procedure without powering-off the chassis. However compared to front-load the chance of something going wrong is much higher.

Regarding disk temperatures one would assume that a higher density would lead to higher temperatures however it's really hard to say for sure as it depends on the layout, air-flow and workload.
There's still the issue of gyroscopic precession causing wear and tear on the platters and motors when you're moving up to 90 disks at a time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

They'll still do that by paywalling the files you need
Only company I know of that doesn't do that is Supermicro.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've been out of the enterprise storage industry for a while, which I haven't been posting much ITT - but this 30TB 2.5" U.2 Kioxia drive did catch my attention, because 40PB/rack does sound pretty good, even if the 4KB QD64 and 16KB QD32 random IOPS aren't very good, the NVMe interface still offers 2^16 queues with 2^16B each, and the sequential IOPS is pretty alright.
Only real downside is that it's got a DWPD of only 1.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

in a well actually posted:

I think the PB/1RU density is for the ruler drives; I think supermicro u.2 servers top out at like 24 per U which leaves you at a paltry 30PB per rack.
Ah, well clearly it's complete poo poo then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Isn't TrueNAS still server-class hardware, such that OS updates require a brief downtime?
The amount of effort required to make kernel upgrade without reboots possible utterly dwarfs the amount of effort required to use gmultipath(8), ZFS, CARP, hastd(8), and ctld(8) to get high-available storage.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 7, 2023