Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Be amazed at SMB where +70% is still not virtual

This. Most SMB's I've done work for are still not doing any Virtualization.

Hell, I just took on a client running an NT 4.0 server. Guess what my first priority is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

The first priority is always "it can't cost anything". The vast majority of SMB's will flatly bury their heads about operational risk and value.

Yep. Their other five 'servers' are Compaq or whitebox PC's running illegal copies of everything from Windows Vista to Server 2008 R2 Web Server.

Good times ahoy.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

AtomD posted:

I'm sorry if this was discussed before, but does anybody have experience with a Windows 2012 Storage Spaces solution? MS is pushing using a JBOD SAS array attached to a physical Windows Server cluster. It should allow scaling out and storage tiering (between platter and SSD only) at a much lower cost than a good SAN solution, but I've got a real bad feeling about trusting Windows to not screw something up eventually.

I was recently at a Microsoft Camp for a one day Server 2012 lab they hosted at their campus. I was always taught that when it comes to RAID to rely on specialized hardware creating/running/managing for it as opposed to software control of it, and I've never had an experience that has lead me to think that isn't correct. I brought this up to the presenter and he pretty much focused on it being cheaper this way (which yeah, it is) than paying for hardware that'll handle the RAID functions.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd NEVER trust my RAID to a software solution.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

There are a bunch of enterprise software vendors that use software raid. There's nothing inherently wrong with software raid and it has a lot of flexibility over hardware raid solutions as you can integrate it more tightly with the volume manager and filesystem to make smarter choices about where to place data. Modern CPUs are also significantly faster than they used to be so there is little need to worry about offloading that work.

There are a ton of great reasons to use software raid (generally speaking, this depends on the implementation) and very few left to use dedicated hardware raid cards for anything other than, say, root disks on a server.

I appreciate the info. I work in the small business world, so enterprise level stuff doesn't trickle down my way too often. Probably should have kept my mouth shut here, but maybe someone else with the same mindset will read all this and learn as well. Thanks for the free lesson!

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

Syano posted:

What do you guys see being used most in the SMB space for backup storage? Are people storing their backups on the same SAN as their production data? Or do you see folks adding secondary storage or maybe even local storage for backups?

We're just in the process of setting up an Exagrid unit to be the D in our B2D2T setup.

I can't get them to spring for replication offsite....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

parid posted:

Anyone have recommendations for backup storage target systems? Commvault's software dedupe and compression tech continues its march to mediocrity. I'm getting real tired of them moving the goal posts for dedupe database's system requirements (it's now: just put it on FusionIO). Their storage efficiency has been poor. Including compression were seeing worse than 4:1, 420TB stored in 116TB of disk. Throughput has also been abysmal. If you add in the FusionIO cards, Commvault's very high support costs (we have capacity base licensing), and the cost of FAS2240's that we currently use, this environment has become very expensive and performs poorly in just about every measure.

I had a positive experience with DataDomain in the past (2+ years ago). I got decent throughput but excellent compression ratios (>10:1). I hear that EMC is messing with their backup products and the future is mirky for the DataDomain product line. They are trying to integrate all these disparate products they purchased and drive people into their complete data protection stack. Considering were a NetApp\Commvault shop right now that would lead to many complications for us.

Anyone know whats going to happen with DataDomain? Are there other similar products (inline dedupe storage) out there worth considering?

Really happy with ExaGrid at the moment personally. Not cheap though.