Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I'm thinking about replacing my nonprofit's file server. I was going to just upgrade it from Windows Server 2003 to 2008 R2, but it seems like I should probably do something about the hardware as well.

My situation now:

The file server is a Poweredge 2950 with dual Xeon Woodcrest 5140s, 2 GB of RAM, and four 146 GB 10k SAS drives in one big RAID 5 volume on a PERC5i. The amount of RAM seems pitifully low, and the storage volume is near capacity. It lives on a 100 megabit network, but I'm hoping that will change sometime in the future.

I'm looking at buying through Dell again as I get a modest nonprofit incentive from them, but I'm not sure how I should play this. The server would only handle SMB file sharing, antivirus, and printing for 30-50 users, who would mostly work directly with office documents on the server.

There are four other servers in the organization. A newer domain controller and inventory application server (we're a food bank), an Exchange server, and a backup domain controller.

My questions for you:

Should I get one processor or two? Dual core or quad core?

Is it worth investing in hard drives as SSDs continue to evolve and come down in price?

Would I really need SAS drives for this kind of use, or could I get away with SATA?

The options I see myself having:

1) Max out RAM to 8 GB, see if I can shoe horn two more SAS drives in similar to the four in now (not sure if the controller supports 6 drives, but there are connectors for them). Hope that we do not run out of space. ($500)

2) Buy a new SATA loaded server. Don't worry about space, do worry about speed. ($3000-4000 list)

3) Buy a new SAS loaded server. Don't worry about space or speed. ($4000-6000 list)

The added complication is that I have pressure to spend money now when we have it, rather than in the future. I have access to funds from a recent donation until the end of the fiscal year (June/July). The subsequent years look ugly as federal funding for hunger relief has essentially disappeared (tragic considering that we can feed three healthy meals for a dollar - more efficient than most social services, let alone any government agencies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU