Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

skipdogg posted:

Not to mention having to deal with Oracle. Nimble will probably be very responsive if you have issues. Oracle's bastard hardware division... probably a crap shoot.

Working with their support has been enjoyable. They also are very proactive if something is wrong and we ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Disregard.

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So Dilbert advised to look into DataDomain. Spoke with EMC and they pretty much advised to give them raw backups and let them compress.

Does anyone actually do this with a VM backup software like Veeam/PDH Virtual?

I think I rather have some raw storage and let my software do it for cheaper.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If you have Essentials plus or higher you own VDP, ask your reseller for the license if needed.

the VDP/VDP-A are avamar appliances they loving own. The VDP-Advanced supports replication. It's probably the best software backup platform you can get.

Balls. Never really looked into VDP and we purchased (and got a great deal on) PHD Virtual.

I'll have to spin up VDP in my lab and play with it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nimble has some pretty amazing stuff.

This.

If you want some raw block iscsi only storage, this is a great bet. Replication is amazing as well.

My only complaint is it so simple. Bores me.

Edit. FC rules this out.

Why do you prefer FC? A lot invested on the switching already?

Moey fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 22, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Caged posted:

If you have literally any other option then rolling your own FreeNAS thing that ends up being mission critical is not the path you want to go down.

On this note, what is advised for a software solution for a light shared storage load?

I am replacing a physical server at a remote site (with limited connectivity) with a pair of ESXi hosts. I have a handful of DL380 G6s laying around, and am hoping to setup one for their "production" shared storage, and one as a backup target for PHD Virtual.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

Cheap-rear end entry level RAID controller leads to poor storage performance, film at 11. I don't really see a VSAN-specific problem here, other than VMware's HCL being a bit "optimistic" ;). My main takeaway is that you should always test common failure modes in a controlled environment to see what will happen (such as how badly performance degrades during a rebuild) before you throw new tech into production.

This is exactly what I was thinking. They pushed their crap hardware too hard.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

yeah we're looking at nimble... what you're saying is basically what I know. I want to show him an article about it though.

Let me know if you have any questions about them. I am running a few of them here with a few expansion shelves.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

Yep, just going with iSCSI using the 1gb ports (4 onboard, 4 on card) and MPIO. The idea is to fairly closely mirror my existing VNXe's setup for simplicity. If I do that, I should be able to get it set up in a day or two max and move on to other things.

Out of curiosity, what kind is space and performance do you need, as well as what is that running you ballpark?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Was about to say the same thing. Could probably get a Nimble CS220 for around the same price. Dead simple to work with and good performance.

You will spend more time racking the thing (their rails suck) than you will deploying it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wicaeed posted:

How well does their replication work? Do they support any form of active fail over?

I just got a tentative approval from my boss to quote out a secondary SAN for our current planned MSSQL Billing environment, with a budget of 80k.

Right now we were thinking we want to purchase a second copy of our Equallogic SAN to act as a backup in case of a primary array failure, but I'm fairly certain that Equallogic can't seamlessly failover in any way. It also doesn't support a lot of advanced features such as compression or dedup, and has absolutely no flash to speak of.

Replication is a snap to setup and works fast. We are going over a 50meg connection to our other site.

Controllers run active-passive and you can fail over live without issues. I'm able to run firmware updates without any outage.

I am currently running 2xCS240 with expansion shelves and a CS240.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nitr0 posted:

Because you're trying to fit enterprise requirements into consumer hardware.

Don't do it.

How did you get consumer hardware out of that?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nitr0 posted:

Because most people will deploy a vsan with 7200RPM drives, a lovely raid controller and then wonder why their VDI infrastructure doesn't work.

For the cost of buying proper components (15k drives, ssd, dual raid controllers, etc) you may as well just buy a proper storage system.

Yeah, I guess I assumed if they are doing proper legwork looking at options, they would spec their servers properly as well. I also read consumer as home stuff.

I think vSAN is neat for real small loads for the SMB, but probably still has room for improvement. Also that story of the poo poo hardware on the HCL and everything locking up due to the load of expanding a node is hilarious.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that a real SAN with redundant everything is the way to go.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wicaeed posted:

So I got to sit down for an hour with Nimble and go through a webex presentation about their product.

If half of what they are claiming is true, this should be pretty simple sell to Management, as long as it doesn't break the bank ($80k)

What are you looking to get?

I have found them very reasonable in terms of pricing. Bigmandan's price there seems a lot higher than what we paid for our CS220 even after converting it to USD.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Richard Noggin posted:

See, that changes the game. You said earlier that you needed the storage for 30 infrequently used VMs that were basically jumpboxes. Without knowing the rest of your environment, I'd be inclined to tell you to put the workstation VMs on local storage and your servers on the SAN, but at least get 10K drives. Speaking to general cluster design, our standard practice is 2 host clusters, and add more RAM or a second processor if need be, before adding a third host.

I still prefer a minimum of 3 hosts. That way of I I put one into maintenance mode, I can still have another host randomly fail and poo poo will still restart. Not too likely but servers are pretty cheap now a days.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

cheese-cube posted:

Have you factored in the cost of 10Gb Ethernet HBAs?

It's an aging card, but I have been very happy with the price and performance of the Emulex oce11102-nm in my hosts. It also comes with the optics for the card side.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Richard Noggin posted:

The amount of time that a host spends in maintenance mode is very, very small. Wouldn't you rather take that other $5k that you would have spent on a server and put it into better storage/networking?

Just to give everyone an idea, here's our "standard" two host cluster:

- 2x Dell R610, 64GB RAM, 1 CPU, 2x quad-port NICs, ESXi on redundant SD cards
- 2x Cisco 3750-X 24 port IP Base switches
- EMC VNXe3150, drive config varies, but generally at least 6x600 10k SAS on dual SPs
- vSphere Essentials Plus

How many small clusters do you have running essentials plus? Can you add those hosts to a Standard vCenter server or are you running a vCenter server per cluster?

We are not too strapped for budget here (or at my old place) so that hasn't been a problem. What if one of your hosts blows a motherboard? Putting all that faith in the remaining host?

Edit: Also Zephirus, I will never complain about storage again.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pretty interesting, but I am curious how their software behind everything is.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Seconding Nimble for the dead simple storage to manage. It is loving boring.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Erwin posted:

Wait, that's the PHD Virtual people? Guess they're off my list of products I've heard good things about.

Unitrends bought PHD Virtual like 8 months ago or something, just finished releasing their re-branded version of it.

I am using it (and have been using it through their beta) and it works great. Our rep at Unitrends couldn't answer my question about why they have a catgirl mascot.

I have been strictly running straight iSCSI for a years now and have no issues. I honestly prefer to throw a VM infront of file shares vs having a storage unit that can share out CIFS.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

If you want to play around with storage
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5379860#!tab%3Dspecs
+ some 2TB drives, 16GB ram, and FreeNas(or nexenta) and blammo.

This thing will pump out a bunch of IOPS, fairly low power and quite

Meh, that will give you shared storage for your home/lab environment, but won't give you any "real world" type practice.

Netapp has that their virtual appliance you can much around with so you learn their interface.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Shaocaholica posted:

What are yous guys thoughts on companies (size/industry/management/etc) that either need enterprise storage solutions but are using SMB/consumer or the other way around where enterprise storage is implemented but not really needed?

My old places solution (my old boss was a bit out there) was to buy the high end QNAP boxes and fill them with consumer hdd/sdd. The boxes would randomly lock up in the middle of the day.

Get an enterprise solution, even entry level is 10x better then prosumer/smb stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Nimble has some "new" product lines. CS300 and CS500. Looks like they are dropping most of the 1GbE connections with the option of 10GbE copper or fiber.

I wonder if the actual hardware has changed much, or just the controllers.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

Just new CPUs basically. My sales rep told me last week not to make any decisions until Tuesday of this week.

Hopefully I can shove those new controllers into my existing CS240s. Minimizing from 12x Copper Cables to 4x fibers would be nice (and give more bandwidth.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nitr0 posted:

You don't need to upgrade your controllers to get 10Gb. It's just a nic card that goes into your existing controller.

I knew the controllers are just little blade type computers, but didn't know throwing my own NIC in there would be supported. I know they whitelist disk serial numbers so you can't upgrade your own cache.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Had a fun little support story with Nimble today. Was doing an update on an array for 1.4.x to 2.x and the said array didn't have autosupport communication for a good chunk of time. This array was blocked from said update until support did a "fix". They had some bug where the firmware needed to be at a minimum level before it was updated to the latest. Their fix was to ssh into the array and run a touch command on a random rear end file. Without either this file or a recent timestamp, the pre-update check would fail.

Not the most fancy way to do it, but seemed to work. They really don't trust their customers to handle poo poo on their own, and rather their support to handle it. Not a bad thing for a lot of people, but it does kinda suck when I can read and do a tiered update.

Still loving these things.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

gallop w/a boner posted:

Thanks for the input guys. It's always nice to have some advice from a neutral. Budget for the SAN is about 70K GBP so I don't think we can swing the all-flash array unfortunately.

Niiiimmmmmbbbblllleeeee

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

The HP MSA 2000 line is super entry level, comparable to Dell's md3200. I wouldn't be surprised if the SAS ports are for host connectivity (in addition to expansion shelves).

With the Dell units, the i after denotes iSCSI (MD3200i MD3220i). Their controllers have ethernet ports for iSCSI an one for management. Their SAS ports are used for adding on disk shelves (MD1200, MD1220). The units without the i (MD3200, MD3220) are DAS units. Instead of the iSCSI ports, they have SAS ports to connect directly to hosts.

I don't use HP storage really, but it looks like they have similar options.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wicaeed posted:

Woo!

I have twins!!

edit: oh god tables

Nice! Now please order some faceplates for those Dell servers on the right.

Are you doing scale out or just separate arrays?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

Spares from nimble are cheap, no idea if you can just newegg the parts or if there is nimble specific firmware at play.

From what our SE told me, they whitelist serial numbers so you have to go through them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Can you elaborate a little more on your technical requirements? I have never worked a project to that scale but am very interested.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bigmandan posted:

I just got a notification that our two Compellent SC4020's (among other hardware) should be arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to get these suckers racked and running. It'll be a few days before Dell sends their rep for install though.

Are you required to have them do the config, or just prefer it?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Vanilla posted:

I see a lot of Nimble users here. I have an opportunity to work for them.

How do you find the kit? The people? Any bad things you've seen as a customer?

Who would you consider their competitors? Did you look at Pure?

Thanks

People have been super nice. Their techs have been responsive and proactive. We hear from our account rep all the time, she uses us a lot to answer questions for new clients. Nothing bad from a customer prospective.

Nimble was a lot cheaper for us to get into. We also only require iSCSI block storage, Pure's flexibility was overkill. I also see Nimble sticking around more than Pure, as they seem to be gaining traction a lot faster.

Out of curiosity, what state/area and roll you looking at taking?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Are your hosts just connecting 1 gig? What kind of switches does do you currently use? You will probably want to keep these a similar brand just so working on them is similar. Make sure to budget for two switches so you have redundancy as well.

You will be able to find something from each vendor, so it really boils down to personal preference. I am really liking working with Juniper's stuff for the past year and a half.

A pair of the 24 port Juniper EX3300 would probably fit the bill (with 1gbe connections). Throw them into a virtual chassis and then you can manage both units as one logical switch.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KS posted:

That guy singlehandedly makes Spiceworks a terrible place.

Seriously, every idiot over there wants to blow him. It makes my blood boil reading threads that come up on google.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Sounds like a law firm, last one I worked at had some really strict data encryption requirements. Better solution was encrypted on site storage and don't let them store crap locally.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Chiming in as someone with 3 Nimble arrays. They are so simple and reliable it's boring.

Feel free to ask me any specifics. Most people have said anything I would have said already.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bigmandan posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for networked backup storage? Does not have to be really fast, but needs to have 16TB+ and do CIFS, NFS and/or SFTP (NVSD, DDB or RDA are also an option) for use with vRanger. We're entertaining reusing some old servers and adding new controllers and disks, but I'd like to explore new options as well.

Can you throw a VM in front of it? I thought vRanger ran off Windows Server?

For my on site backups, I went with some Dell MD3200i filled with 12x4tb disks. After setting up a Dynamic Disk Pool with all of them, I have just over 28tb usable. Others have mentioned getting EqualLogic for cheaper than the PowerVaults lately.

Here is a paper about Dynamic Disk Pools.
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~dynamic_disk_pooling_technical_report.pdf

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I found that the purpose built backup appliances all want you to turn off any compression your backup software is using (so they can do their own compression/dedup). Since I had been happy with PHD Virtual/Unitrends, I ended up going with a big dumb array just for block storage, and let my backup software handle the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Richard Noggin posted:

What are people using for storage switches in very small deployments (2-3 hosts, 5-15 VMs, iSCSI SAN, vSphere)? We've been using Catalyst 3750-Xs stacked, but only because they've been solid.

Are you only 1gbe? At a small remote site with a poo poo internet connection I am running a pair of Juniper EX3300 in a virtual chassis, it's been humming along fine.