Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehzorg
May 31, 2011

all in all, just another sheet in the roll
Hey good storage peoples, advise me please.

I've recently been hired as the first and only dedicated IT support person in an medical R&D firm of about 100 employees in Switzerland. The current corporate mass storage needs are met by about a hundred external USB hard drives, mostly chained up to everybody's workstations by USB hubs. Oh, and they've got a ~4TB linux based fileserver managed by externally contracted IT. It's a loving mess. As the IT department, I'm expected to make it all better.

I'd like to push for a centralized storage solution. The problem is that I'm pretty far out of my experience envelope here. I'll explain our situation, usage characteristics, and desired features - if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful.

We're going to be storing mostly simulation results - no databases or virtual machines. These are huge files created and accessed by typically not more than 10 people at a time over 1Gb ethernet via SMB (so, high bandwidth - low IOPS... right?) We currently have at least 30TB of poo-poo that needs storing, but the ability to grow to 100TB+ within the next 3-5 years is probably needed. Would be nice to also have this data backed up to another location in house, but right now any kind of fault-tolerance is better than what we've got.

Budget concerns.... well, since up until now management hasn't been convinced about the necessity of upgrading past 2TB USB external hard drives, this may be a concern. I'm pretty sure I can get 15k eurobux approved, possibly 25k if I can make a solid argument and pretty powerpoint slides. More than that is unlikely to be approved.

What should I be looking at? Gigantic prosumer level NAS devices (Synology / QNAP)? Small business level storage (NetApp / Dell)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehzorg
May 31, 2011

all in all, just another sheet in the roll

Erwin posted:

You know you can say gently caress and poo poo around here, right?

Yep.

So I have a feeling that any solution I choose is going to be "OMFG" so much better than what they've got... do you think there's a significant reason to push for a real enterprise level solution over say, a big 'ol NAS with enough storage? I can't see more than 10 simultaneous users accessing this thing at once at any point.

My biggest fear is recommending a solution which ends up underperforming - second only to recommending a solution which is so loving expensive it gets me laughed out of a job.

As you recommended I'll see what vendors I can get a hold of here in die Schweiz. It would be nice to hear someone else second my plea for basic IT necessities around here.