Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Aquila posted:

Oh god what have I done:

HUS 150 with SSD Tier is what I've done :getin:

Mine's just a baby. All 10k SAS, unfortunately. :mad:

Edit: lol, I can't read, apparently.

NullPtr4Lunch fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Langolas posted:

If its for a customer, ditch the 3750s and find switches that have larger buffers on them so you don't deal with disconnects to your storage.

^^^^^ This. ^^^^^

I just got rid of a pair of Cisco 2960S-24G's we had for storage that were dropping output packets all over the place because they have a 384kb per-asic buffer. That's 12 ports sharing a 384kb buffer at 1gbps with jumbo frames. Bad Juju!

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Docjowles posted:

VAR's always quote you for installation it seems like whether it's necessary or not. If you're comfortable setting it up just tell them to knock that off the quote.

I was told this was mandatory for warranty reasons for my Hitachi HUS110. Seemed kind of skeezy...

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

AtomD posted:

... I've got a real bad feeling about trusting Windows to not screw something up eventually.

Yeah this ^

I'd sooner trust FreeNAS and ZFS than anything they cooked up over at Microsoft.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
Not to mention, IronMountain makes even the simplest of tasks way to drat complicated. I hate their SecureSync website.

You can't just be like: "Take this container and keep it for a week. Do that every week as long as we keep paying you..."

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Bitch Stewie posted:

Direct connect over FC for 3 hosts so no FC switching needed and it can do all the funky stuff like tiering and flash if and when you need it.

Yeah, which is exactly what I ended up doing with my HUS110 after months of headaches, troubleshooting, and thousands of dollars in switches couldn't resolve our mysterious latency spikes on the VMware datastores when hooked up via iSCSI...

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Bitch Stewie posted:

We're probably about to go for a HUS 110.

Feedback so far is that they're dull boring fuckers with a slightly nasty management interface but they just work with no real fuss - any feedback would be great thanks :)

I've got a HUS110, and yeah, basically everything Aquila said. Make sure you're getting the features you want/need and read all of the catches and caveats. Lots of poo poo is licensed separately and they don't make it simple.

Mine's backing a 3-host VMware cluster, and on iSCSI the hosts would throw up latency warnings every 3 hours like clockwork. Nobody at VMware support, Hitachi, or the VAR could come up with *why* this happens. It's only in VMware's logs, and none of the VMs or applications seem to suffer when it happens. We switched to FC direct connected to the hosts and it just sorta went away... usually... I hate "fixing" poo poo like that.

It does just work though, and was a good bit cheaper than the bids we got from NetApp and EMC.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Bitch Stewie posted:

Still leading with the HUS 110. Hitachi seem deathly honest but it would be useful to know if you consider there to be any "must have" license options?

Well, given my weirdo latency problems, I wish we'd bought the Tuning Manager.

Bitch Stewie posted:

We're planning on doing FC direct connect so other than tiering and the performance analyser license I don't see much else that jumps off the page as something we'd need?

In retrospect, I honestly wish we'd done FC direct to begin with. It would have been cheaper. Not even considering the extra set of switches I had to buy because the ones the VAR recommended were wholly inadequate.

Bitch Stewie posted:

Incidentally do you have VAAI? I'm still a little hazy on how the zero reclaim works depending if you have it enabled or not (we're cheap scum so only have vSphere Standard licenses).

I didn't install their vSphere integration stuff, so I can't really speak for them.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
Here's a funny one. My old EMC AX-100i (that's been out of production for a long time but still burns coal in the rack b/c I'm lazy) sent this message:

quote:

Event 2086 has occurred on storage system N/A for device N/A at 09/02/14 17:42:32
The event description is: Unable to read events from the Windows System log. I/O will be able to proceed normally. Call your service provider.

You'd never know anything was wrong by the lights on the box. Logging in shows that it's in crybaby mode about it's pet UPS which has been dead for years. Not that I need any more reasons to hate this machine, but does it really run Windows? :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Aquila posted:

This is why I bought a Hitachi SAN. In many ways it's been a nightmare, but it keeps serving my data, keeping the company up, and helps me keep my job.

I'm actually pretty happy with mine for the same reason. It's sort of a pain in the rear end, but ultimately none of that pain in the rear end ends up affecting business (except for occupying more of my limited time). poo poo runs and runs smoothly.