Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Why can't I view the last page of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
this is a really good thread

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
im gay but thankfully nobody will ever read this

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
More blood for the blood god

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
THREADS BACK

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

bull3964 posted:

One of the crazier ratios I saw with our pure was a 2tb file server we had. It was mixed content, images, docs, zip files, PDFs. For a brief time I had it on the same volume as its redundant partner. So, two 2tb vmdk files, both 90% full, but the same data on each.

Actual volume size on storage was about 210gb.

At these crazy compression ratios, does that negatively affect read and write speeds? Does it matter if you're accessing 'sequential' blocks or a lot of different small files.

Also: how do things like filesystem indexing work when the underlying block storage is nothing at all like the logical filesystem or even filesystems that regularly attempt to defrag themselves.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 23, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder how many people got fired for buying IBM lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

I'm a little jealous of people who get to play with cool/large storage poo poo. Feel like that's easily my biggest technical blind spot. Somehow all of my jobs have been one of

1) No major storage needs beyond like a Synology NAS
2) Boss pathologically opposed to the concept of shared storage because it's a single point of failure or other weird excuses (running critical workloads on a single host with a big rear end disk array hanging off it is better because ????????)
3) Petabytes of NetApp but there was already a dedicated and awesome storage engineer so I never really had to deal with it

These days I'm entirely working in the cloud and the only interesting aspect of storage is explaining to management how the hell they racked up a 6 figure monthly S3 bill

My companies s3 bill is 7.5 figures.