Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

underlig posted:

Thank you for a top-notch reply, i checked around for newer firmware and there has been a few, some mention fixing issues that sounds to be atleast in the same ballpark as mine. I'll see if i can get a longer service window during the summer holidays, and make sure i have a reasonable plan B before trying anything.

Keep a full backup at hand, i had multiple controllers poo poo themself on my p2000 g3(same dothill kit of yours, just slightly older) during firmware updates. Also try extracting the firmware package from the hpe executable and deploy it via web rather than use the self-extracting firmware upgrader, even hpe support suggested me to do so when i got a partial update failure(a was updated, b was hosed on the older version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another MDS question, we might have to decommission our MDS9124 and upgrade to a more modern 9148S. Am I going to need to redo the configuration/zoning from scratch or could i import the config from the old switch to the new one?

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 7, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Thanks everyone, the current settings are a combo of fcaliases(with pwwn)->zones->single zoneset so it sounds like it should do doable. First time setting up a mds from scratch (our 9124 were set up by a MSP, we just ship of theseused the conf to the current status) so I'm a tad apprehensive about ripping and replace our prod FC cores

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 7, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Untrim support on esxi local storage is still unclear. There are some articles that suggests that if the storage is vmfs6 formatted and the controller supports it, it should works but I would still be wary of spending big bucks in materiel without a clear confirmation. If you just want a full ssd vmfs why not running the data store from a flash aware nas? Even QNAP is certified nowadays and supports 25/40g nics

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fatman1683 posted:

A flash-aware NAS is way outside my homelab budget. I'm looking at ~$250 for a used 9440-8i, another $250 for a 4x2.5" U.2 hot swap bay, and $160 each for a pair of U.2 SSDs.

Flash-aware NAS chassis start around $5000, plus the drives and network hardware.

Any qnap with a x86 something is flash aware(even ones with atoms but those tends to be equipped with very few pcie lanes) and supports vStorage API. You can find chassis starting at 2 grand with ryzens (TS-877-1600-8G) or core i3 (TVS-872XU-i3-4G) if you want plenty of PCIe 3.0 lanes. I had plenty of bad experiences doing homelabs with ghettorigged storage so i now prefer to have storage on its own chassis, even if it's slightly more expensive than embedding it onto the esxi servers.

If you still want to go homegrown remember to check if the U.2 backplane/controller includes the cables. I've found u.2 cables to be hilariously expensive in my area.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Axe-man posted:

I just imagine some sales man is asking their support staff if they can run hyper v in VMware right this minute. :eng99:

You actually can(but not the other way around)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mistikman posted:

I am building a new computer using an SFF case.

My current computer has 2 4TB drives in RAID 1 for data storage.

They won't fit inside my new computer, but I am still looking for access to storage, so I was thinking of an external enclosure, but after thinking about it some more, I was thinking I might have better results using a cheap personal use NAS solution.

Does anyone have experience with this who would know if tossing those 2 HDDs into this would be reasonable for file storage needs?

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-DS220j-Diskless-2-Bay/dp/B0855LMP81/ref=sr_1_4

The 2 drives I currently have are a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HNYV8I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't specified to be NAS drives, and they are about a year and a half old. Could I expect them to last for awhile in a NAS enclosure that would be running 24/7? Since they are in a RAID, if one fails, I won't lose my data, so even if I could probably get a couple years out of them that should be plenty.

That's a question for the nas thread but i'll answer it anyway. WD Blue are poo poo for raid purposes(they are what it was once called greens, a lot of nas appliances will throw issues when the disks go to sleep), i would not use them for 24/7 setups like a nas. There are standalone disk chassis like the QNAP TR-004/TR-002 that might fit your disks better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

abelwingnut posted:

hopefully this is the right thread.

starting to think i should upgrade the hard drives in my 4-bay synology nas. would like to have each drive be at least 4tb, but am willing to go more if it's worth it. what are the best drives these days? i think most of these are wd reds, except for one i had to replace in an emergency.

If you go WD red check VERY accurately the part number, small sizes are now shingled(which means performance is poo poo). I have fitted my QNAP with seagate ironwolf pros and (knock on wood) they work fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah just buy a synology. I'm not kidding. You don't have any useful requirements. Put it on a ups and back it up regularly.

This plus QNAP sells HA twin controller setups if zero downtime is an hard requirement. Also if you can shift your protocol requirement to iscsi+fc(there is vfiio for nfs but I never used it) you could make a datacore storage pool with just a couple of generic servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pile Of Garbage posted:

What's the go with QNAP these days? Are they still a good option or have they gone to the trash? Thinking of getting one of their higher-end tower NAS devices.

They are decent on the low end home to mid smb market, high end units are sorta overpriced.