Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

bmoyles posted:

Say you need 100TB of storage, nothing super fast or expensive, but easily expandable and preferably managed as a single unit. Think archival-type storage, with content added frequently, but retrieved much less frequently, especially as time goes on. What do you go for these days?

HDS (the piece that used to be Archivas) makes a widget called HCAP that's designed for long-term data archiving. http://www.hds.com/products/storage-systems/content-archive-platform/index.html If you have any really specific questions about what it can do, I can get them answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

EscapeHere posted:

For this project the "fast" drives (FC or SATA) would be used for VMWare for Exchange, AD, etc while the SATA disks would be used for archiving of medical records. Can anyone give any advice or reasons why it might be worth (or not) spending the extra $s on the IBM?

What you get in performance for that 10-15% bump is going to be erased by the utter pain in the rear end that managing IBM kit is. IBM gear is great if your company is already an IBM dynasty.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

TobyObi posted:

Yes.

For bonus points, the enterprise line has a flash interface now.

That then can launch the old java interface in the right circumstances.

Guess what I've spent the last month or so setting up?

Oh, the career-limiting poo poo I could write about the 18 months I spent working on HiCommand :allears:

I think the most I can say is that the UI group, the sales/service group, the hardware design group, the management software group, and the group that built the underlying middleware to bridge the UI group and the management software group are all different companies. They all had names starting with "Hitachi", but all communications between them (down to "what does this checkbox do") had to be vetted by lawyers, because ~trade secrets~.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Misogynist posted:

Openfiler or FreeNAS isn't nearly as much of an issue as the fact that cramming a handful of SATA disks into some enclosure is not going to give you nearly enough IOPS to support even a lightly used vSphere environment.

How many spindles do you think would be necessary for about 50-60 lightly used VMs? Would an enclosure with 12 in raid6+hot spare cut it? I'm going to try to set it up as a science experiment anyway, but knowing whether I should be disappointed in advance would be helpful.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Never forget Mr. T shilling for HDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW1S2tsxVHg