Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Methanar posted:

I wonder how many people got fired for buying IBM lmao

I mean, it's a meme in IT and also absolutely true. The same could really be said for other vendors, like EMC etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is that not just what I said? I feel like I'm going insane here. If you just wanna post about war stories then poo poo do it no need to talk it into the convo we all love to read that poo poo :justpost:

Yes, I was affirming what you posted.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I got some quotes to replace some old IBM Unified filers. Mixed use - some PACS cache, home directories, random apps, database backups, etc.

One of the quotes was for a NetApp C250 with about 200TB. (And another for replication)

I can find no reason to get anything else, the price/performance ratio on this thing seems too good to be true.

Edit - The other arrays were a NetApp FAS 8300, and EMC Unity 380. Both with mixed disk, ie. not all flash.

Edit 2 - I was leaning EMC Unity until this NetApp came along.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 18, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

Have you gotten a quote on some qumulo archive tier storage? Even that'll do 1GB/sec per node. I'm on my second cluster and the product and support are stellar.

Never even heard of it but I'll check it out!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

I think the products are fine, but the rituals you have to perfom to get access to the firmware updates...

I just went through this with HDS supported Brocade directors and it was a nightmare getting the code.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Welp, just bought a NetApp c250. I haven't used Ontap in like....10 years. Looks like there's been a few changes! Learning about LUN configuration and what a SVM even is like a little baby.

Edit - Looks like I need to manually enable space_alloc if I'm going to thin provision, thanks admin guide!

Any Ontap gurus here have any tips for an Ontap newbie? This will be 90% Windows client general use.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 1, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is there any training/professional services hours or something included in your support agreement? Does the outfit that sold it to you provide anything like that? I'd look into that tbh. I'd hope your employer woulda factored this in when purchasing the thing.

Ha, no there was not. We don't usually get training for stuff like this. It's happened like twice in my career.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Up your max inodes. By a lot.

Will do, learned this same lesson when dealing with IBM Unified. I'm guessing any *nix based file is the same.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

kzersatz posted:

Been doing Ontap off and on for the last 12 years or so, currently support 4.5 PB of it :)

My little 100TiB C250 is chugging along nicely. Things have (obviously) changed a lot since the N-Series days.

Unrelated, I'll be going to Spectrum Protect (TSM) training and taking over all backup administration. Not looking forward to it.

We're probably going to transition to something like Veam over the next 3-5 years. In my entire time with my company, I don't remember a time when there wasn't an issue with TSM.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

LMAO it takes a 50% consulting FTE to keep ours from eating itself. And there's like 12 people in the (admittedly small) country who can competently manage it. When they hired another tech they had to get a fully remote icelandic guy :eng99:

Replication hasn't been working for at least 6 months, despite bringing in outside help to get it running again. Supposedly there is an APAR to fix this, but I don't know what it's for. Our current backup admin isn't bothering to do decoms etc, they just need someone to at least do the the day maintenance. It also runs on AIX, which I'm not super familiar with so. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone have experience with Dell PowerFlex?

I haven't seen pricing yet but I'm going to guess it's extremely expensive?

I'm considering it for a couple of remote hospital sites with aging infrastructure as well as a replication target to a disaster recovery site.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 16, 2024