Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
If you already planned on buying a 5300, why not buy one at a fire sale price? If you need something bigger, I was told that EMC is currently taking STEEP cuts on the new 5400 since the 5200 won't be done available for two or three months.

I wish MCx would come to the existing VNX line. We see a drop of maybe 1-2 pings when a LUN is trespassed and I'm hoping the new architecture would fix that. Totally kills me that it's a forklift upgrade. I'm not even sure they'll let us keep our existing shelves right now, which I think is a Q4 / Q1 next year approval.

I got a Pure Storage briefing a month ago, and man, it's like seeing the future compared to what EMC is doing. Non-disruptive storage controller upgrades. (Yeah, you lose a path but better than a total outage.) Too bad they've got zero features right now. No FCoE, no array based replication, no iSCSI, etc.

VSPEX looks to me like EMC is preparing for the imminent collapse of VCE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Given that the 5400 is the equivalent of a 5500, that's a good deal. Twice the iSCSI / FC ports, twice the drives. If you're worried about expansion on the 5300, you just solved that problem.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

madsushi posted:

The Optimization/Migration is only for VMs that might be misaligned (read: Windows 2003 or earlier). I would just turn it off altogether.

So wait, Windows 2008+ are all good with alignment and stripe size even including SQL DBs? I thought making sure your SQL tables are aligned and the stripe sizes are right is a whole big thing.

SAN -> VMware VMFS -> Guest OS -> SQL DB are the layers I'm picturing that all need properly alignment and stripe size.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 2, 2013

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
HORRIBLE VNX2 bug ETA 175619 https://support.emc.com/docu50194_V...e=en_US
SPA and SPB panic within minutes of each other, and their associated LUNs and DMs go offline. This problem occurs every 90-99 days in the following systems: VNX5200 VNX5400 VNX5600 VNX5800 VNX7600 This problem occurs in a VNX8000 system every 80 days.

I got a call from my EMC rep and immediately filed an SR to get RCM to upgrade us. This is totally fresh off the presses, they don't have a KB article for it. It's only in the release notes for the new version. Thank god I heard today, our new VNX is just about at the 90 day mark.

Edit: Oh AND apparently there's a memory leak fix that was causing SP panics with RecoverPoint or SAN Copy.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 13, 2014

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

demonachizer posted:

What is the general opinion of Nimble with you guys? We are considering them for a project and like what we see so far but just are wondering about real world experiences also.

You check out PureStorage? It's a bunch of ex-EMC and ex-Veritas guys, EMC is actually suing them.
They're pretty drat impressive but weren't going to be landing things like replication, iSCSI / NFS, and a few other checkbox features for six months when I saw them last, but they appear to have some of it now according to their site.
Non-disruptive hardware upgrades is a pretty killer feature, plus 512B sectors that kill any alignment issues.

Violin Memory, Texas Memory Systems (Now IBM), Whiptail (Now Cisco), the flash SAN market is really overflowing with potential options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

KennyG posted:

Can we steer this train back to backups?

Dell has some amazingly cheap dedupe appliances the DR4000 / DR4100 but I should warn you they're not very pleasant to use. I had a lot of issues with replication, cleanup, storage space displayed and used. We're using it as basically a CIFS dump, not NDMP because no one bought the dedupe option for BackupExec2012. (Which is itself a huge piece of crap. Baby's first backup for sure. If you've got more than the smallest of small business environments, it'll make you miserable. I wouldn't use it with more than 10 servers.) I think the Dell software is maturing though.

I suspect Dell is going to jump into backups in a huge way now that they own Quest and Quest owned NetVault, vRanger, and LiteSpeed. Litespeed for SQL + vRanger for all VMs + NetVault for any physical boxes left + a cheap dedupe appliance like the DR4000 / 4100 is a decent combo. That is, assuming the integration works well and they continue rock bottom pricing. If not, go buy the NetBackup appliances from Symantec and call it a day.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 4, 2014