Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

H110Hawk posted:

Normally when people quit they steal stuff, not alert others of what they find. In that sense, you failed at quitting.
Maybe he did that to distract you from the real loot. When was the last time you took a look at your core router? Are you sure it hasn't been replaced by a WRT54G? It could explain why my site is down. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

lilbean posted:

So the real question is, can I cheap out and use the 7200.11/7200.12 drives for the X4540 without any issue? They're literally half the cost of the ES.2 disks. Also, I'm not worried about support since we've confirmed that issues not caused by third-party disks are still supported.
Those 7200 series drives probably won't support TLER/ERC, so that may be a problem. See if you can find a way to enable it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Provided you can still get a support agreement from the primary vendor (Netapp/EMC/Whoever) I don't see the problem.

This is an important point. About a year ago we were in the process of purchasing new FC switches to our HP blade systems. Then one guy realized that the only thing that matters is that the blade chassis has a support contract and HP will swap any parts no questions asked. So instead of buying new switches for 4k a piece we could just eBay used switches for 1/10th the price.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Has anybody ever quoted out FreeNAS certified servers? I'm doing a little consulting with an academic lab who is looking to improve their setup from "~30TB of usable storage on a single RAID controller in a single SUSE server".

Would this be such a bad option? The performance requirements don't sound that high and it doesn't sound like you would need the advanced features Netapp and such could provide. At work I could get 10*8TB PowerEdge server for 5k. Buy a second for backup duties, everyone can just switch to using the backup server until the repair man shows up NBD. Hardware support from the manufacturer, software support from Red Hat/Microsoft.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Moey posted:

/COPYALL or /DATSOU (same result) have never failed me.

But it does require you to have high enough permissions on the destination to be able to set those information. It's a likely reason if copying security information fails.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have a good resource for end of life info for Nimble/HPE? We picked up a client that has CS215 arrays, the OG Nimble rep said they don't go end of support until 2021 but HPE is now pulling out "lol end of support at the end of 2019".

I'm feeling like this is likely slimey HPE rep shenanigans, but I'm trying to verify. Our OG Nimble rep left the company (shocking news).

ndyer39 posted:

if you head to Infosight->Documentation you'll find a section called Support Policies link. In there you should find the End of Availability notice of the CS200/CS400, as well as our overall Support Policy for hardware and software.

To summarise both documents, the policy is that we will allow customers to purchase another FIVE years of support from the day a system is made End of Availability, The CS220/240/260/420/440/460 was made End of Availability on Dec 11th 2014, so that means we will support them for hardware break/fix but also current and new software features, up to Dec 11th 2019.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Array-Setup-and-Networking/CS420-Lifecycle/m-p/6985593#M1763

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

In our latest Netapp purchase we got 150TB of SSD and 6PB of NL-SAS. I don't think Pure is our choice in the near future. At least this tender round was won by Netapp and it fit easily within our existing infrastructure. Previous tender was won by EMC and we decided not to purchase anything, we had just gotten rid of our last piece of EMC.