Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is there any resale value in a Dell MD3000 (bare, or with 15 176G 10K SAS drives inside)? I inherited this from a company buyout, and it's honestly more a hassle than it's worth in our environment. I checked ebay and there appears to tons of them not selling at $2500 or higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is it cool to ask about SMB storage here?

We're looking to move into NAS here - small environment but we need something more robust than the "prosumer" units. My initial goal is ~1TB for file storage and potentially up to 5 iSCSI targets (VM dev environment, additional dedicated storage on individual servers). I want an 8-bay unit to accommodate potential growth.

Budget is ~$5000 (including disks), which pretty much keeps me out of even the entry-level netapp stuff. Right now it looks like my best option is a QNAP TS-879U. Is there any serious competitors in that price range?

Also, SAS disks - any recommendations for brands/models? Looking at the 300GB range.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm trying to get access to Netapp's site and holy poo poo I have NEVER seen a process so hosed up. Initial registration says wait 24 hours for approval. Okay, I'll wait 24 hours, nevermind I can't even remember the last time I had to wait that long for account creation. Whoops, account creation failed, spent an hour on the phone getting it resolved, then the account is guest status - so gently caress YOU if you want to actually do anything on the site! Request authorization upgrade and hope it gets processed in 24-48 hours.

EDIT: Christ, googling show people complaining about this process back in 2008.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 14, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

evil_bunnY posted:

Their website has been a loving disaster forever.

More than anything I'm shocked that a tech company in 2013 thinks waiting 3-4 days for access to vital software is acceptable. All the tech support people were just like "that's how it is, homie", and even my reseller contact was being a poo poo about it.

No, I'm not just excited to play with my new toy, I have a project timeline. I didn't expect to factor in 3 days for downloading software. :negative:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

NippleFloss posted:

P.S. Crackbone: I'm sorry your NetApp experience has sucked so far. If you want to PM me your NetApp support site account information I can see if I can get things sped up. No promises, but I can at least see what I can do.

Appreciate the offer, but it should be resolved shortly. About 2 hours on the phone today, hassling support/reseller, and they're claiming the account should be ready by tonight.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Silly question - several of the license keys on my unit that were preinstalled (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI) are not the same as the ones listed in my license documents. Not only that, under the CLI they display with the word site in front of the key.

What's up with that? Should I be entering in the keys listed on our documentation?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Looking to do our aggregate setup on a 2220 (12 600GB disks, dual controllers). Looking to maximize space without totally taking a total dump on best practices, but small budget/environment, so something has to give. We've got 4 hour onsite support but the unit is going to be a SPOF and so I need to make sure I'm not hanging our dick out in the wind or creating something Netapp won't touch in the event of a problem.

Current idea is active/active, controller A with aggregate of 8(maybe more) disks, 1 hot spare, with both the root volume and storage volumes on it. This would host our vmware datastores. Controller B would be active but relegated a small amount of non-critical storage (isos, etc), but primarily for failover.

With that in mind, is it sane to convert the controller 2 aggregate to RAID4 with no hot spare? Even in that config it would be a huge step up in our protection; we'll have storage on raid, with hot spare, with failover controller, with 4 hour response time on part replacement.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yes 3 is more than 2.

When I ordered the last bunch of disks I got 13 so I could have 2 raid groups and a spare. Surely you can find some budget for 1 drat disk?

Not when the shelf only holds 12. I guess you mean having a spare available sitting in a box somewhere?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Existing infrastructure is a linux cluster. One of the problems is that we have space constraints at the server location so we wouldn't be able to keep the backups attached to the servers.

Ballpark budget is not very high: 2-4k.

That's completely unrealistic budget unless you buy some sort of Synology/QNap rack unit and fill it with consumer SATA drives. And that's not something anybody in here would likely recommend.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Moey posted:

Ugh. Do you know my old environment? My boss thought he was a loving IT god by taking a QNAP 1679 and filling it with SSDs. Initial performance was good, but once that thing blows up and takes down everything I will be dying laughing. Also laughing all the way to the bank as I am doing hourly contract work for them still.

I work in a tiny environment where budgeting is the owner deciding what something is worth. I briefly flirted with that kind of idea but told the boss I'd rather we kept what we had rather than putting our entire production environment on a "prosumer" setup. I managed to keep the storage costs at about $18k, and that was with cutting corners. I probably could have gotten it a bit lower but certainly not down to $5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Edit: Wrong thread.