Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

I am trying to register support to emcs powerlink website and i am thinking of banging my head on my desk until i die or just pass out to make the pain stop.

What the gently caress are they thinking? This page is designed like a 1998 geocities page made by some 14 yo girl living in the projects.

Instead of just having a link to enter serial numbers/contract numbers and an adress and be done with it you have to do some sort of running man game to register on one million places, get other companies "site numbers" added to your account.

EMC hates their customers and i will actively avoid buying EMC poo poo unless they arrange a live streaming of them shooting all the developers of powerlink in the neck.

gently caress paying $100k in support and having to deal with this poo poo.

Edit: i guess i nerd raged about this before? it fill me with a hatred more powerful than a thousand suns to have to deal with lovely portals.

conntrack fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

I guess the EMC gods heard me pissing on their name. Just got a double disk error in a clariion raid5. This array is going to be put down like an unwanted dog.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

Posts Only Secrets posted:

This seems like the logical place to leave this question:

Someone gave me an HP Storageworks 1000 and i'm trying to see if its even feasible to use this for a massive home storage unit. I'm not trying to use SAS drives, though I do have a few for it.

So what i'm getting at here is this: Do you think a SAS to SATA converter would work to get the unit to recognize 10 hard drives?

The link you gave is for a fibre channel device? You would need a FC HBA card and a FC cable. It has the potential to be a fast but LOUD device. Massive it will however never be, unless it's physical mass you are refering to.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

zapateria posted:

EVA4400 with 60x400GB 10k FC disks here. What kind of vRaid should we use for:

Random vmware application servers
Exchange database files
Smaller Oracle/MSSQL (~2GB express editions) servers
Fileservers

We're having some performance issues, where creating a new VM (Win 2008 R2) takes ~25 minutes (the "expanding" part during the initial install), and we see Write Latency going to 1-4k ms.

We're mostly using vRaid5 except for the bigger database servers. Should we convert most VMFS disks to vRaid1?

Has anyone here gotten a performance analysis from HP on a EVA system? Was it worth the money, or did you just get obvious results like "add more disks, use faster disks"?

So you are now in the EVA hell where HP refuses to tell how the secret sauce works and how to get predictable performance. Some people we talked to got the solution from HP, "buy a new EVA and migrate some apps to it".

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

I have just bought simpana and have yet to put it in production. Is there a reason you choose dedupe in the store instead of doing it in software on the media agent?

I have limited targets to test to but using a netap FAS dedupe system as a target was worse than plain hardware compression on tapes. Is probably som blocksize settings in simpana or something?

Setting up dedupe in simpana got much better numbers and we can use some random san disk as storage. With the pricing on disk from DD or netapp it just makes a lot more sense to dedupe in software?

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

vomit-orchestra posted:

oh SH/SC goons, help me for you are my only hope!

We've been having issues with our dc recently due to their chillers, they had a tech doing some work on one of them today and swapping load between their two chillers. This caused water to heat up and essentially turn the fans off in our racs :(
Being new to netapps, I'm not sure if there are logs to track how hot it got during that time. I'm guessing probably not, so I think my question is how hard is it to put it into zenoss?
I had a quick gander and we have the community netapp zenpack installed but not sure where I am to go from here.

:blush:

sincerely embarrassed backups monkey

If you have NOW access you can look up the diag codes for your system. There is a chapter on environmental alarms such as temp and voltage. I don't know if they list the exact temp but it's a start. If no alarms were logged i guess you were safe during the incident, unless you crashed of course....

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

Spamtron7000 posted:

Simpana is great. You won't regret choosing it as a backup solution. But for de-dupe, neither CommVault or NetApp is in the same category as Data Domain. Data Domain is one of only a couple of solutions that do variable block-length deduplication on write (no post-process maintenance jobs). If you are happy with the capacity you'll need on your NetApp to do backups then maybe you don't need to look at the Data Domain but they are awesome products for backup.

At one point last year, we were getting 28x compression on our Data Domains. Data Domains can ONLY do this though - they like static data that doesn't change much (especially if you're replicating).

Read up on variable block-length deduplication to see why it's almost always better FOR BACKUP DATA (not for everything).

You have some very good points. I had forgotten the variable vs fixed issue. It's a good thing i read up on that again, it makes it hard to compare the targets we have available at my site. It also explains why netapp FAS systems dedupe like poo poo, simpana stores container files that are never aligned the same way twise with the underlaying filesystem. I will have to ask netapp about their marketing crap they spewed on us on how the FAS systems would dedupe it to hell and back.

It just won't work as they claim unless there is some tweaks to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

You also lose half your processing performance.