Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wedge of Lime
Sep 4, 2003

I lack indie hair superpowers.

H110Hawk posted:

They seem to not be making a big deal of it. The X4500 shipped with a broken sata driver, which they consider low priority, even though the box is 6x8 sata cards with some cpu and memory stuffed in the back. We had to install IDR137601 (or higher) for Solaris 10u4 to fix it. The thumpers all ship wih u3, so first you have to do a very tedious upgrade process.

Sorry, I don't have a bug ID. OpenSolaris suffers as well, google "solaris sata disconnect bug" or "solaris marvell" and you will find some people who hit it. It's pretty much anyone who puts any kind of load on a thumper. Or in my case, 29 thumpers.

The 'Marvell bugs' have now been fixed as part of an official patch, the following patches:

127128-11 : Solaris 10 U5 Kernel Feature patch
138053-02 : marvell88sx driver patch

supersede any of the older IDRs that may be available through your official support channel, that is: (IDR136658-01, IDR137601-02, IDR137889-04 and T138053-01). Please ensure that the IDR is removed prior to patching, that you read the patch README and patch in single user mode.

That being said, you may hit the following bug after moving to 138053-02..

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do;jsessionid=b3ba1097bf63c68b29efdc3c5c03?bug_id=6723520

If you're running an X4500 I would recommend moving to these over the IDR. Sun does take this issue seriously, its just getting this thing fixed has not been easy :(

Thank you.

Also, before doing anything with ZFS please read this:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide

Wedge of Lime fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU