Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I'm working on a homelab upgrade but I figured the technology involved would be better suited to this thread than the home NAS thread.

I want to upgrade an ESXi host with SSDs for the VMHD datastore, without buying a license for vSAN. It's been common knowledge that hardware RAID controllers don't support TRIM, but I was doing some research today and found this:

https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161496937/trim-and-sgunmap-support-for-lsi-hbas-and-raid-controllers

Does this mean that 94xx controllers with IR firmware support TRIM and sg_unmap on the underlying disks in an array? Does ESXi have support for this implementation? The language seems to indicate so, but this has been regarded as 'impossible' for so long I don't think it's really that simple.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Untrim support on esxi local storage is still unclear. There are some articles that suggests that if the storage is vmfs6 formatted and the controller supports it, it should works but I would still be wary of spending big bucks in materiel without a clear confirmation. If you just want a full ssd vmfs why not running the data store from a flash aware nas? Even QNAP is certified nowadays and supports 25/40g nics

A flash-aware NAS is way outside my homelab budget. I'm looking at ~$250 for a used 9440-8i, another $250 for a 4x2.5" U.2 hot swap bay, and $160 each for a pair of U.2 SSDs.

Flash-aware NAS chassis start around $5000, plus the drives and network hardware.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Any qnap with a x86 something is flash aware(even ones with atoms but those tends to be equipped with very few pcie lanes) and supports vStorage API. You can find chassis starting at 2 grand with ryzens (TS-877-1600-8G) or core i3 (TVS-872XU-i3-4G) if you want plenty of PCIe 3.0 lanes. I had plenty of bad experiences doing homelabs with ghettorigged storage so i now prefer to have storage on its own chassis, even if it's slightly more expensive than embedding it onto the esxi servers.

If you still want to go homegrown remember to check if the U.2 backplane/controller includes the cables. I've found u.2 cables to be hilariously expensive in my area.

Yeah, I'm going to be breaking out the storage into its own chassis in the future, this is an intermediate step until I have the money to build a second server just to run the hyp. Going to be passing through the HBA so I should be able to just move the disks over and restore the config onto the new setup, when I get to that point.