Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M@
Jul 10, 2004
Wanted to chime in this thread and say that if anyone needs any used NAS/SAN hardware, I stock this stuff in my warehouse. Mostly Netapp, low to mid-high end equipment (960s, 980s, 3020s, and I've got one 6080 :monocle: ) and HP, and Sun, although we do get the occasional EMC system in. I stock used disk shelves and individual drives too, so if you're looking for a cheap spare or something, let me know.

I've worked with a bunch of goons in the past and no one's ever said anything bad about me to my face :) Just shoot me an IM/PM if you need help with anything, I don't care if it's just to see if your current vendor is screwing you over or if you just want to talk about feelings. Because I do.

fake edit: Sorry if this sounds spammy. There's not really any way to say "HEY I CAN HELP YOU! DO BUSINESS WITH ME" without doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M@
Jul 10, 2004

Misogynist posted:

I need a handful of IBM GNS300C3 drives, since in spite of me having 4-hour replacement on these IBM cannot direct me to a single one anywhere in the country

Sent you an IM, but I'll post here just in case you missed it...

I've never heard of those drives. What machine are you putting them in?

M@
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Sorry about that 6080. :(

No problem. I have a feeling if you ever want/need one it will be here waiting for you, with open arms. :)

M@
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think the 720 is too monstrous. Unless, well, they wanted a 270 in the first place.

M@
Jul 10, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Unfortunately the only good source is the NOW support site. What would you like to know?

Ah yes, that great resource. :bang:

I have to say, Netapp's website is the worst website ever for finding information on anything.

Mierdaan posted:

Is there a good online resource for finding out what Netapp's different software licenses actually allow you to do? Their online doc on SnapDrive is horrible, horrible marketing garbage.

I have a pretty good handle on the licensing mumbo jumbo. If you want, shoot me an IM tomorrow.

M@
Jul 10, 2004

1000101 posted:

I'd also like to point out that the 6070 doesn't exist.

Fairly sure you're wrong on this. Might be EOL but I've seen them before.

M@
Jul 10, 2004

1000101 posted:

Oh wait you're right. Replaced by the 6040 and 6080.

Doesn't invalidate the rest of my post though.

Agreed. I'd like to get a copy of that report that was linked and see what kind of comparisons they're using.

(Related: I've got a pair of used 6080s sitting on the shelf if anyone wants them, relatively cheap. I really don't want them anymore)

M@
Jul 10, 2004

Corvettefisher posted:

Hooray just got some funding for some more storage! Not too terribly much, 20k, but still happy nonetheless. Now time to versus with Netapp, Dell, and EMC

Not to be overly spammy, but if you can use refurb equipment, my company deals in all 3 of those product lines. I'd be happy to quote out some gear for you if you're interested.

M@
Jul 10, 2004

Moey posted:

We have been dabbling in more used/refurb equiptment. It hasn't bitten us in the rear end...yet.

All of our storage stuff is still new, but switches and servers have been refurbs lately.

Refurb gear is pretty reliable. I offer 1 year NBD replacement on everything I sell and I replace maybe 3-4 drives a month.

If you guys ever want to kick around new vs used on anything, just shoot me a PM. Happy to assist fellow goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M@
Jul 10, 2004

Nahrix posted:

I'm looking for a smaller solution like the VNXe, but after reading a bit over this thread, I've seen a lot of complaints about it. Can anyone offer a solution that fits the following:

[*] Reliable. Having this never go down is the single most important factor.
[*] Performance to handle ~2TB backups nightly, file sharing for 200 users that save exclusively on network shares, and hosting the images of 4 virtual servers (2 domain controllers, 2 application servers)
[*] In the sub-$10,000 range.

Is this feasible?

Used FAS2050A with "eBay parts"
20x 300GB 15K $7950
20x 450GB 15K $10,950

But, yeah, this is just a pot shot. No idea if this will work for you. Also have VNXe line but the FAS20x0s are much more popular these days.