Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

My company has had great success with Isilon's offerings. Every time we need more space in our production system we just throw another node at it, easy peasy. I think we're somewhere near 16TB now. Isilon always sends a guy to install every node that we buy, even though the work involved in adding another node takes maybe a few minutes after you get it racked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

I came in this morning to find my Solaris box had crashed, and when I brought it backup it threw this at me:
code:
-bash-3.00# zpool status -v
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: [url]http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A[/url]
 scrub: scrub in progress for 0h1m, 38.26% done, 0h1m to go
config:

NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t8d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

//dev/dsk/c1t8d0s0
        //dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0
The linked URL says that these types of errors are unrecoverable, but my OS is still chugging along and after the scrub finished the error disappeared. Am I in the clear or should I still be wary?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

The filesystem is now suspect, because you don't know if a block had data changed and then re-checksummed to appear valid. I would check your logs for information about the crash itself, versus just what zpool is telling you about your pool.

The logs aren't entirely clear, but I think this might have occurred at the same time as a scheduled scrub.

Could assigning s0 to the pool instead of the disk without any slice specified lead to this kind of a problem?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

Sock on a Fish posted:

The logs aren't entirely clear, but I think this might have occurred at the same time as a scheduled scrub.

Could assigning s0 to the pool instead of the disk without any slice specified lead to this kind of a problem?

Say I took the mirror pool containing c1t0d0s0 and c1t8d0s0, and then one at a time removed each device from the pool and then added back as c1t(0|8)d0, allowing the pool to resilver in between moves. Also, let's say I rebooted the machine only to discover that I'd wiped out my boot sector.

How would I go about getting that back? I'm not finding any kind of recovery disks for Solaris 10.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

Sock on a Fish posted:

Say I took the mirror pool containing c1t0d0s0 and c1t8d0s0, and then one at a time removed each device from the pool and then added back as c1t(0|8)d0, allowing the pool to resilver in between moves. Also, let's say I rebooted the machine only to discover that I'd wiped out my boot sector.

How would I go about getting that back? I'm not finding any kind of recovery disks for Solaris 10.

So, I discovered that you can modify boot options in grub on the Solaris installer and was able to drop myself into single user mode where I could mount my original filesystem. I'm thinking that I should be able to remove one of the disks from the pool, then go through a reinstallation of Solaris in the disk that I did not remove from the pool, and then I can use single user mode to mount both disks and copy the contents of the old root partition on to the new one, leaving the boot partition intact.

Thoughts?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Whoops. In theory you can just dd the boot sector from one of your old disks on to a new one. If they're in the mirror the worst you'll do is hose one of them. Remember to do it to the disk device itself (c1t0d0) or the whole disk partition (c1t0d0s2).

grub-install or what not *should* work, googling around found this untested bit:

http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=179529

As for what to dd on and off, the boot sector is a set size, and from there it should be enough to get you reading ZFS. Google dd grub gave this:

http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/grubrestore/

You will want to use the stage1 loader first and see what happens. I don't know where they switch from raw disk reading to actually being bootstrapped.

I took the same actions for all disks in the pool.

I'm trying to do an installgrub like this:
code:
installgrub /a/boot/grub/stage1 /a/boot/grub/stage2 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0
When I do, it comes back with a cannot open/stat for /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2. I've verified that this is true, I get an I/O error if I try a 'head /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2', whereas with s0 I get actual output.

What does it all mean?! How is it possible that I can address s0 but not s2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

FYI, I just created a new thread for this issue, since it's more of a Solaris thing than a SAN thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127366