Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
We're primarily using hosts with local storage but I'd like to farm off our WSUS database drive to an iSCSI NAS (synology 1010) would I be better off using the windows server's iSCSI target connect directly to the NAS or should I be looking at having the storage allocated to a VMWare datastore then having VWWare present a drive to the Windows Server. I intend to allocate some of the storage to VMWare datastores, I just don't know if it's better to present the drive directly to windows when possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
This falls somewhat between the consumer and the enterprise as it's an SMB type question.

Environment:
4 server SBS 2008 network running on 3 hosts with ESXi. ~20 workstations.

I'm looking at picking up a QNAP 859 or 879 (which allows for a 10GBe card) as an upgrade for a synology which I use for a backup target fileshares/and to keep live backup/test copies of VMs (via iSCSI.)

with the new box I'm looking at running a couple low utilization VMs via ESX. I'd probably config the disks for RAID 6.

Is it worth putting 10GBe in seeing as it would cost a lot too add the cards to the servers and pick up a switch OR would the bandwidth of 6-8 SATA3 drives in RAID-6 not saturate it anyway?

Are there other brands i should be considering?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
I'm trying to work out a SAN storage agreement with another organization, and i'm not quite sure what the typical usable amount of a SAN is.

The SAN is a Nimble 260 so there's 36 TB raw, which they show as 25-50 TB usable the > 25 TB part is based on compression so I'll say 25 TB usable storage, what I don't know is how much typically gets used up by snapshots and whatever else is needed.

What's a reasonable amount of that 25 TB can be used by VM's?