Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I'm not exactly looking for enterprise storage, but I suspect this is the best place to ask this question.

Amongst other things, I'm responsible for keeping our development network humming. And right now it is in need of an upgrade off of a single Hyper-V box with local storage to something more modern and NAS-like. Now, it is a development network so we don't have as strict uptime or reliability requirements as one would have in a more production oriented network. Nor do I have the budget to spend the kind of money one would on a more permenant fixture.

Anyhow, we realized the best thing would be to get our hands on an economical, iSCSI based SAN solution. And we've found two options that sound at least somewhat appealing. First would be an el-cheapo dedicated NAS box; we were looking at the Sans Digital AN4L [no, that isn't anal]. The other option on the table would be to use OpenFiler to build a beige-box SAN as we've got the bulk of the parts lying around to make that happen.

Anyone have any experience with either of the two, or have recommendations for a sub $1000 delivered solution to get me ~1TB of iSCSI NAS space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

So, I finally got around to setting up my video encoding and editing workstation. Which consists of a mac mini and a free NAS box for mass storage. They are connected via ethernet and iSCSI using a dedicated cable.

Storage layout on the NAS is a RAID-Z2 w/ 4 2tb drives plus a 36gb 10k drive setup to cache.

Reading from the NAS is great and the speeds feel "right". But writing isn't so pretty -- it seems to write a chunk, pause and wait for the NAS to write, then write another chunk to the disks before taking another chunk.

I'm not even sure where to start looking. None of the typical system logs are reporting any issues.

Any advice?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

devmd01 posted:

What kind of 36gb 10k drive? If it's a raptor, lol.

lol.