Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

cheese-cube posted:

That's what we thought as well until we had a meeting with some QNAP reps today who took us through their product line and honestly it shits all over Netgear's offerings (Not sure about price though as we are still working on getting quotes).

Personally I think that when Netgear went to market far too early when they decided to break out from the consumer/prosumer market into the SMB/large business. All of the "new" features in the new ReadyDATA 5200 have already been available in QNAPs products for quite some time. Netgear really needed to let their product mature before making their marketing push.

I concur with what you have said. We were looking at the 5200s but I convinced QNAP to let me test drive one of their 2U units and I've not bothered to even consider anything else since. Amazingly easy to setup, fantastic interface and the drat thing just WORKS. Also, if you want rough pricing for QNAP, hit up CDW. They have most of their units in stock and their price isn't a long way off what you will pay, especially if you already have your pricing adjusted for you company. Also, Newegg has some QNAP stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

This is great to hear. Both myself and my colleague (The one who was driven to the brink of insanity from Netgear tech support) are extremely excited about the QNAP offerings. At the moment we are trying to get some proof-of-concept/demo units from them which may be difficult as they have limited market penetration in Western Australia. If you can offer any info or advice re distributors in the WA or AU region feel free to PM or e-mail me at cheeseDOTcubeATgmailDOTcom.

I will speak with my sales guy at QNAP and ask if he has any good advice for you.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I was recently told to build a wish list of changes for my office and one of them (in a long list) is to upgrade the vCenter cluster we run. Right now it runs two nodes (both active) and stores VMs on iSCSI LUNs held on a QNAP 459U. The first thing I am going to do is get rid of the lovely Trendnet 8-port GigE switch the cluster is using in favor of something else (potentially two switches in HA).

The other thing I want to do is HA the storage. Problem being, QNAP doesn't support iSCSI replication to another QNAP unit without taking the LUN offline. DRBD isn't supported on the units yet, nor does there appear to be plans to put in any kind of HA features in the immediate future.

Is there a cheap(ish) rackmount NAS device that can replicate iSCSI LUNs (in realtime as changes are made or daily at a scheduled time) between two identical units? Ideally, they'd have two (or more) GigE ports. The QNAP unit cost me ~$2000 for 4TB in RAID5 with a hot spare, for an example of the price point I'm looking at. I'm going to post this in the VM thread as well. Thanks.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Thanks for the info, guys. That was pretty much what I found when looking into it further today. I will just be getting a second QNAP and drives as a closet cold spare.