Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
I was working on one of the storage teams at a very large company, though not working directly on the technology (mostly just workflow improvements). Never had to get my hands dirty with this stuff, but one of the side projects that I would hear about occasionally was bringing in three DMX 4's to move 1.4 PB onto. Since each DMX 4 can handle 1 PB alone, what kind of factors would drive the decision to get three? Future capacity management seems like an odd answer to me, since the forecast was not anywhere near that in for the near future because other data centers were going up. Might this be for some kind of redundancy? Is it possible for one of those DMX's to completely fail? Is it seriously like one singular, monster storage array?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU