Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Hey Compellent, now that Java6 is EOL it'd be a great time to release controller firmware that doesn't require it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
You know you can get full VAAI support on series 40 controllers, right?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

KS posted:

We're on 30s. We got them right before they EOLed. Whoops. Turns out our VAR was garbage, and switching isn't easy. That's part of my motivation.

Wow, total garbage. We bought CML like 2 years ago and they were already hinting at the successor to the series 40. Have you priced out moving the 30s to replication targets where you don't care about VAAI, and buying the 8000s new?

Edit: not having been through it yet, what is making an upgrade from 30s to 8000s difficult?

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 2, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, this is where you escalate with your regional Dell storage guy, get whatever VAR you want and negotiate new customer pricing. They're loving/have hosed you pretty hard, it's not going to be hard to convince them you're about to walk down the street.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone using Force10 S4810Ps in production and have any love/hate comments? We're looking at moving to 10gig with redundant switches, finally. Our requirements are pretty light since we're running fine on a single 3560E right now.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

We've got a pair of them connecting our VMware cluster with our SAN. Any problems we've had I think stem from the fact that we're a Cisco shop and so our admin is really confused by them.

Anything in particular he's confused by? I've never used Force10 gear before, but I'm not particularly entrenched in IOS either.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

TCPIP posted:

We have about 30 users with 40-50GB Exchange mailboxes and the rest are all quota limited at 1GB but our CEO wants us to lift the limit due to too much user complaints. We want to 100% eliminate PST files so we need to account for all that junk that's sitting on their local hard drives as well. File server is small actually, about 1TB of data and it grows slow. Exchange is our biggest storage nightmare along with backups.

If your CEO really wants to keep your storage budget low, tell him to stop being a moron about mailbox size limits. Implement sane retention limits.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

adorai posted:

Spares from nimble are cheap, no idea if you can just newegg the parts or if there is nimble specific firmware at play.

How cheap is cheap? Like, I just quoted out a Compellent expansion shelf with 24x 200GB SSDs. $118k with software and services included :psyduck: Next time a Nimble rep calls me, I'm answering the damned phone.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
For a shop coming off a string of meh Compellent devices, who's worth comparing against these days? Nothing huge, current device is 100TB raw, file only, almost entirely VMware storage and some SQL we'll be getting rid of soon.

Obviously the vendor's pitching us on a PowerStore 1000T and some new S5224F-ON switches, but it's a Dell shop so of course they are. Raw space on their proposal is about half our current SAN, but all NVMe SSD as opposed to the SAS SSD / 7200 RPM mix we have, and relies on the PowerStore getting the stated 4:1 compression ratio they advertise as opposed the roughly 2:1 we get from the Compellent.

Any horror stories? Who else fits well in this space?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks guys, I'll take a fresh look at Pure and Nimble.

Our EMC vendor did say there's an agreement available to guarantee the 4:1, with some caveats that if you're storing a fuckload of video they won't honor it. If you don't get the stated ratio, they throw some free drives at you.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Dell's storage "strategy" is such a disaster that I wouldn't want to put my eggs in any of their baskets.

I haven't been following the storage industry for years - what's so terrible about the Dell/EMC strategy?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Weeks of back-and-forth with Pure support before we got a tech who pointed out that after we create our VIFs and assign them IP addresses, we have to assign them IP addresses. Please tell me this isn't normal support, and that Purity//FA isn't always this dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

We're using FC, so I can't speak to that side of things, but overall I have been quite happy with our Pure arrays. My only real gripe is that you can't do updates yourself, which seems weird to me in 2022.

Our FA shipped with 6.1.13 on it - that explains why there's no way to flash it to something newer. Does Pure reach out to you to coordinate an update?