Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

I'm not happy with Lefthands support. As soon as LH can identify the problem is not in relation to their software, you enter the bermuda triangle dealing with HP for the hardware side of things.

We had their 4 hr premium support, so LH calls up HP to dick around with them to get a tech sent out. I mean seriously, I was on the line listening to the HP rep give the same poo poo to our LH case manager that you or any other person calling for tech support would get.

Eventually, HP send us a technician the next day with the wrong parts and who knows absolutely nothing about the problem we are having with the software or the hardware. gently caress I don't care by this point who fixes the problem.

LH then plays the blame game with HP and it's going back and forth. I really wanted to tell our LH case manager, "No, listen you fucks we pay you for the support, therefore the burden is on you guys to fix our problems, quit loving around here like a smug rear end in a top hat."

After some calls to higher ups, we finally got the right hardware, a decent tech and the problem resolved... only two days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

GanjamonII posted:

Everyone who replied to my query - thank you. I haven't posted an update cause I can't post at work and my internet at home just got reconnected after moving.
We found that the servers/enclosure/network hadn't been configured as per the PTM. All traffic was going over the production network, not the storage vlan. We had purchased nics with hardware iscsi which are disabled and the correct cabling hadnt been run to the blade enclosure blah blah blah. All getting fixed this weekend hopefully. We also found Oracle was misconfigured in terms of some parameters and memory configuration which looks like it was slowing it down a bit anyway.

Also don't be afraid to open a case with NetApp, they don't mind these kind of cases if you think something is weird as long as you act like a reasonable human being.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Is there anywhere I can find, in plain English, the real-life implications, causes, and resolutions of common Brocade port errors like swFCPortTooManyRdys and swFCPortRxBadOs?

Brocade usually says replace or upgrade the firmware :)

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Anyone have experiences with filetek's storhouse product? They are winning bids by coming in the cheapest and taking the decision makers out to Ruth Cris.

How much should I start drinking since I will have to support this thing and all my experience in the SAN/NAS world is NetApp :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

ferrit posted:

Is there any way to increase the write performance on a NetApp FAS3140 running OnTap 7.2.6.1? It appears that our options, according to NetApp support, are:

1) Increase the number of spindles (we've got 4 fully populated ds14mk4 disk shelves attached to this head with a mix of 150 and 450 GB 15K FCAL drives) so that the NVRAM is able to flush the writes to disk faster without hitting back-to-back consistency points. This may be difficult as we might run into power issues with adding another shelf.
2) Setup a proper reallocate schedule for all volumes to ensure that the volumes aren't "fragmented" and that we're not running into a hot disk scenario. We've tried this and although it appears to help somewhat, there are several times when we still see latency rise due to the back-to-back consistency points.
3) Stop pushing so much drat data to the filers so drat quickly - this might not be achievable, as it's an Oracle database that the DBA's insist must be able to handle this type of load.
4) Buy a bigger filer head that has a larger NVRAM size to help mitigate the instances when it is pushing alot of data to the filer.

Are there any other bits of performance tuning that can be done? Have there been any significant changes in OnTap 7.3 as far as performance tuning is concerned? We're looking specifically for write performance, so I'm not sure if a PAM module would help us out (I had believed that they were meant for reads more than writes). We had recommended they go for a FAS3170 when it was specced out a couple of years ago, but they saw the cost and backed off.

Thanks!

I don't know the model number translation from IBM to NetApp but this doc has a pretty good explaination about the PAM module for you to decide yourself.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247129.html

The IBM redbooks are a really good source of netapp info.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Woohoo! I just made it through the third round of interviews for NetApp support. I asked them some areas of study to try and brush up on. The rep suggested looking into LUN's, mounting and configuring exchange, maybe a little mild SQL, but really stressed the LUN-NAS/SAN side. Any suggestions?

I've been reading wikipedia, read some of the IBM redbooks and some of NetApp's Technical resources( Thanks 1000101!!) but I'll be honest, some of them are a bit...chewy. I'm trying to step up into the world of enterprise level support, and want to at least have an idea since I sure as hell won't know everything. The client even stated that I won't know most of the answers for a good 4-6 months after starting. But any foundation I can build on is better than none.

Learn about the SnapX products, since those will be the ones hardest to troubleshoot because your hands-on is limited. The reason they give the 6-8 months bullshit is because you are thrown to the wolves within two weeks and actual training is pretty hard to get into. Your most valuable resource will be your co-workers so don't piss them off. Also if you are going night shift, I hope you can understand Indian accents on a grainy connection.

Which part of support are you getting into?

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 30, 2010

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Has anyone used OpenFiler before for an Enterprise enviroment? Our resident linux zealot thinks we should look at this since it's FREE, which now has the higher ups asking us to take a look.

I want to smack him.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ Great thanks!

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 10, 2010

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Just tried on mine and can confirm this. WTF HP.

Looks like I'll be keeping their mgt interface on an isolated network for awhile, which means we lose their phone home ability.

What version of the mgmt software do you have installed? We have 8.1 and I couldn't get the account to work, or it might because of older hardware.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I've been asked for a car analogy from my manager for any Snapmanager product for NetApp because the person who is signing the checks can't understand the justification for SQL/Exchange.

Spending lots of money to save our jobs when "OH poo poo" hits doesn't fly I guess.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

MEAT TREAT posted:

:lol: You should tell him he's at the wrong address.

Don't do that because the technician following the part... wait, yes definitely do this.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Anyone know the dedupe limits for Netapp's ontap 8.01?

My access to the now site is non-existant :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

complex posted:

Looking for anyone with experience with HP's P4800 BladeSystem SAN.

Is that a Lefthand? I too, have been searching the world for an actual HP Engineer for my Lefthand problems for the last few days.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I hate our Lefthands so much. I'm having a heart attack when I do updates because of poo poo like, "installing updates,updating linux, formatting..." in the vague descriptions these prompts give.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Bitch Stewie posted:

Any of you P4000 folks updated to the current patch baseline for SAN/iQ 9.0?

I don't want to pull the trigger on 9.5 yet, but our 9.0 hasn't been patched for six months or so.

We did 8.0 to 9.5 in one run and it was painful. But that was really the 8.0 to 9.0 portion. 9.0 to 9.5 was 10 minutes pain free. I haven't checked on the thing since then since seeing the UI was now more bloated java poo poo and no one has contacted me about it being down for the past few months...

Anyone use IceWeb's 6XXX series? Comments?

Nimble keeps buying us lunch, but I dunno... maybe I could take one for the team and try it out for you guys.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

If you are in the DIY mood, buy one of these http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/sbb.cfm and slap nexenta/openfiler on it with some minor GUI changes. Tada you are now qualified to sell super low end NAS/SAN systems apparently.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

The only reason we didn't go with Nimble nearly two years ago is because you couldn't expand at all once you ran out of space. Do they even have disk shelves yet?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I wish I could find it but there was an IBM redbook which broke down the additional penalies with ONTAP, a few more % in additonal storage, with flexvolumes for instance.

By the way if you didn't know it, IBM's N series are really rebadged netapp filers. And there are a lot of useful documents.

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Red...ategory=Storage

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So I verified that the appliance in question is a Reldata 9400 12TB. Does anyone know about the performance of such a system (note in particular that I'm pretty sure it has 7200rpm drives) when used as a CIFS NAS? They are gradually getting the permissions issues fixed but as that happens the usage level of the appliance is also increasing and I'm wondering how long it will take before it self-destructs from the strain.

If it's like the Reldata I evaluated it's doing the following:

*Using three disks at least for OS and hot spare. Which of the disks are those? No idea!
*One side is active with no real load balancing, which means all your traffic is going out the same 1GB NIC
*None of the email notifications are because you changed the default admin password

I see all you guys complaining about EMC but at least they aren't these rebadged supermicro shitheel systems that I deal with. I would give my nuts for the worst in class EMC system at this point :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Lingering permissions issues continue.

"Yeah, we don't actually support auditing, mmmkay..."

They patched the loving kernel in their customized Linux OS on the appliance with custom code written just for us. :stare:

Oh, and it's a live patch. If the appliance reboots for any reason we're hosed. Weirdness like losing permissions that were already set continues. Every time I talk to him about it he digs himself into a deeper hole and there's no sign of a replacement that will be more reliable. Uh, the NAS, that is, not him. I have no idea about his status although I've heard that management isn't exactly happy and some people caught on to his responsibility in the matter and have been complaining.

The company is undergoing a huge PR crisis right now so fortunately for him, that has overshadowed things a bit. Supposedly a more permanent patch is coming but they keep finding new issues to add to it. Oh, and the patching is pretty loving stupid considering that the product was advertised as capable of doing all the things that it can't do.

TL;DR gently caress RELDATA/STARBOARD DO NOT BUY THEIR lovely PRODUCTS GET A REAL NAS (NETAPP).

I will never forgive you if my promised OS upgrade/fix from them is delayed because of this. I too would like to restart my NAS and not lose half their fixes.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

nuckingfuts posted:

Does anyone know what happens to a failed NetApp drive after it is returned? Is it sanitized / destroyed? We just had a drive fail and my boss asked, I haven't found an answer yet and thought someone here might now.

I know they sanitize it at least, but most of the time the paranoid bunch like banks just get new drives and keep the old ones.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Hey where did the other guy with a Starboard go? I want to hear how he's doing and if he's applied the new update yet?

:ssh: We haven't.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I don't know where my boss keeps finding these supermicro/nexenta vendors but it's like playing Bingo asking them about their short commings and they are like, "How do you know all of this???"

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

How is NFS with Windows these days? Going to be Server 2008 R2 writing to some random unix based NAS. I should mention about 20,000 directories with 30,000 files with NTFS permissions.

My first thought was to put a gun in my mouth when asked to look into this, which means someone has convinced my CTO this is viable.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Hey other guy that owns a starboard check this out. We are of course nervous with the systems we already have. :smith:

http://www.crn.com/news/storage/240150957/startup-starboard-storage-cuts-sales-staff-hangs-for-sale-sign.htm

At least my boss is seriously talking to NetApp about their e-series products which would be a perfect fit for our needs.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Has anyone bought Nexenta before along with their certified hardware? Want to share thoughts or how their support works?

I am extremely concerned about Nexenta vs Hardware vendor for support problems. It was real worrisome how the Nexenta sales rep we are working with already poo poo on the hardware vendor they recommended to us and it wasn't their fault when a series of benchmarks came up incredibly poor.

I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Got an email from Starboard Storage which says they are "winding down." Now I'm stuck with an unsupported piece of poo poo for the rest of my life. :smith:

They claim they will offshoot the remaining support to a third party but we all really know what that means.

Take a shot with me other Starboard goons, all 3 of you :smith: