Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...
This seems like the logical place to leave this question:

Someone gave me an HP Storageworks 1000 and i'm trying to see if its even feasible to use this for a massive home storage unit. I'm not trying to use SAS drives, though I do have a few for it.

So what i'm getting at here is this: Do you think a SAS to SATA converter would work to get the unit to recognize 10 hard drives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

conntrack posted:

The link you gave is for a fibre channel device? You would need a FC HBA card and a FC cable. It has the potential to be a fast but LOUD device. Massive it will however never be, unless it's physical mass you are refering to.

I have 2 fibre cards in the expansion slot already, along with a fibre switch.

That's why i'm wondering about using the adapter, I have practically everything needed to get this running.

Edit: I'm running out for the night, but i'll post pics of the hardware when I get in.

Posts Only Secrets fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 16, 2011

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...
Alright, here's the pics of the hardware I have:

Storageworks 1000

SAN Switch 2/8-EL

Dual fibre ports on the Storageworks 1000

Prolient DL380

So using the hardware above, I'm looking to make a storage server. I wanted to know if I used a SAS to SATA adapter, that the SW1000 would still recognize the drives.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

Nomex posted:

The adapter wouldn't work. The drives that MSA uses have hot plug SCSI connections right on the drive system board, so you wouldn't be able to slide the drive cages in with an adapter installed. The only way you could really use it and be massive would be to get some 300 or 450 GB hot plug SCSI drives. Even then you won't be breaking 4TB, and 1 modern SSD on a SATA-3 controller will eclipse the maximum performance of it.

Would the only issue be that the cage won't fit with the adapter? We thought of that and were trying to think of a bay extender that would sit in front of the unit. That or a lot of the adapters we saw had 3-4 foot cables. We could custom fab a small rig to hold the drives in front of the unit.