Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Long shot question:

Environment is
Site A:
EMC Clariion CX4-120 SAN
VM server cluster (3 physical hosts)
Site B:
EMC Clariion CX4-120 SAN, same hardware as one above. It's basically an exact copy, with the same LUNs allocated as at siteA.

In site A, all the VMs are stored in a "VM Storage LUN" at that SAN. Is it OK to set up an asynchronous mirror to SiteB? I'd like to set it up every 24 hours, from A to B.
The biggest concern in question is if reading these VM files in the "VM Storage LUN" for copying.
My guess is that no, because the VMs read the file from the storage once, and then don't touch that store while they're running... but I really don't want to just guess on this one. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

It's my boss's concern, I don't think there's anything to worry about, but since I can't find a straight answer anywhere, I can't go back to him and say I'm 100% sure we're doing the right thing.

The concern is: Would a VM that is stored in SiteA be in any way corrupted because the data is being accessed by mirrorview to copy to SiteB.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That's what I thought :) Now if only I could find an official document that said something like that.
Anyways, thanks. At least now I know what's right, and that's a good thing to be sure of.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

We took offline a pair of EMC CLARiiON CX4-120s, and will not be using it anymore. Any recommendations on what to do with the hardware?
I'm thinking of listing all the drives (about 50 total) for sale on eBay, kinda like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMC-CLARiiON-CX4-120-CX4-240-450GB-15K-CX-4G15-450-005048951-005048849-005049032-/150823481357 (on that note, any tips on where I can find the plastic enclosures to put the drives in safely? )

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

We got them straight from EMC, and they would have only bought them back if we replaced with a newer SAN from them... and we did not do that.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone going to NetApp insight next week?
I'm slowly taking on storage from my boss, but I've done so little administration that I don't feel that I really know NetApp yet. Gonna take the NCDA test because it's free, but other than that, not really sure what value to get out of the conference - aside from all the delicious dinners with reps and vendors each night :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

^ yep, I've at least done some of that, so the chances of me passing the NCDA are more than zero. We'll see!