Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
I might be posting in the wrong thread here so forgive me in advance. I'm sure you guys will point me in the right direction though.

I'm currently setting up a new file server/backup system for a small video production company. They're currently using a bunch of USB 2.0 external drives (!!) for production and archival purposes and sneaker-netting them to the two production machines in the office.

The requirements aren't really intensive compared to the "enterprise" level stuff you guys are playing with. I'd like to set up a main file server running Server 2k8 Foundation (I need to build an intranet site that works across the office LAN) and have it host the archival footage and work files. The transfer rates don't have to be high - though they're working with 1080p footage, the plan is to have the workstations pull the footage over the network and do the actual manipulation on the workstation and put the completed products back onto the file server.

They have no backup/disaster recovery plan right now except for duplication of the footage across different external drives which are kept in the office and the original DVPro tapes.

I want to build 3 identical file servers and have 2 in the office and one doing off-site replication from the CEO's home using Crashplan. I'll also recommend they start keeping the original footage and the finished product tapes off-site.

The amount of storage is minimal by enterprise standards (6-10 Tb) and there will only be a maximum of 2 people accessing the server on a heavy basis (the two production workstations). Cost is a big issue. They have an IT staffer on hand who can deal with any issues with the hardware should problems arise.

I'd appreciate recommendations for the server enclosure, raid controller (I'm thinking of RAID 6, 5 or 1+0 for this type of application), and anything else that I've forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

adorai posted:

I don't know what crashplan is, but windows server can replicate data all on it's own, transferring only block level changes (and looking for already existing blocks it can copy before putting it on the wire) to keep any number of file shares in sync.

Something like that. Crashplan is supposed to do an rsync type backup dealie over the LAN or through the internet to a remote server. I'm looking for something simple so that the CEO can operate it himself and not be overwhelmed with command lines and .conf files.

Bottom line: What's the best RAID type to put in place? What about the controller type? The more I've been reading, it seems like Raid 1+0 is preferred over Raid 5 in any case. Would an i7 quad with 8 gb be overkill for the main file server? Especially since it's not particularly i/o intensive.