Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

quackquackquack posted:

I'm looking at an EMC VNX 5300. Being a relatively new product, however, I can't find much in the way of details. For example, I can't seem to find one massive PDF explaining everything I could ever want to know about the SAN.

Step-by-step guides to most of the things you'd want to do:

http://www.emc.com/vnxsupport

The Related Documents section gets pretty thorough.

Pantology fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Regex posted:

We're finally starting to meet with vendors and quote out SANs/blades.

For background, we're a relatively small company (low initial capital) expanding into hosted offerings (needs to be scalable), including public cloud and hosted VDI solutions (relatively high IOPS).

Met with Dell/Compellant today, and I've got meetings lined up with EMC, NetApp, and HP. Anyone else I should make sure to talk to over the next couple months?

I'm hearing some buzz around Nutanix for scale-out VDI. And if money were no object, I'd echo Vanilla's Vblock recommendation--30 days from PO to production is pretty cool.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

I will never buy from EMC because of this tragedy of a failed marketing attempt. It's not even funny.

To be fair, it's an internal cheerleading video made for EMCWorld, not a real marketing campaign. Doesn't make it any less terrible, though.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

So, I've just been told by someone on my team we'll be working on Avamar tomorrow, on a client's premises. I want to be prepared, what do you suggest I watch/download/read? Preferably something free, since I'm a poor bastard. I've watched the proven professionals video on youtube, but it's too short to really learn anything. Something that skims functionalities and how to work with those functionalities would be nice.

Are you an EMC partner? If so, give the vLabs a look: https://emc.demoemc.com/portal

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sudo rm -rf posted:

Storage - This is what I can't really get internally. Right now everything is running off the local storage of our single ESXi server, which is using 8 900GB 10k drives in RAID 10.

I'm surprised Cisco's Invicta hasn't been mentioned as a comedy-option. Way, way overkill (and lists for like 10x that Dell build), but it has a Cisco faceplate, and if the internal discount makes it cheap enough...