Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«98 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagand

Alagand is impressed by Coreladdabar, both by his obvious mastery of arcane knowledge and by his poetic language.

"Let's go then," he says, "but what are we gonna do with the horses while we're in there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Alagand focuses his thoughts and tunes out all inside and outside interference, attempting to open his mind to the arcane aura supposedly felt by Coreladdabar and Annetta. His training in the arts, though a little less substantial than that of these two, eventually does pay off: as one abruptly extinguishes a candle, the buzzing suddenly is gone, with nothing but the memory of it to assure him he ever felt it in the first place. It is replaced by a curious tingling experience, definitely magical in nature, although he does not get the impression that it is pulsating as such; rather, it appears to be very slowly welling and fading, like the ebb and tide of a vast arcane ocean. What's beyond doubt, however, is that it originates somewhere within the wood.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

Annetta looks at those suffering from the hum, a noise that she herself can't sense, thinking the likelihood of connection to be stupidly obvious. "Perhaps there is something wrong with the field, that to those who lack the ability to sense the Arcane normally it makes itself known. Like a bright flash of green would still be noticed and painful to one colorblind to the color," she mused, more airing her thoughts to the scrutiny of open air, before looking at the others and continuing. "But, I agree with Corel, prudence, caution and investigation in equal measures. This may not be directly relating to our task, but if what he says is true, if this is a portal to ... to somewhere elsewhere, then it is important that we find out who or what can do what no Mage of the Academy can. They might be a cause, a symptom, or simply unrelated, but I do not think they are unimportant. As to our horses, hmm... tie them together and or, if we can find a tree out of sight of the source of this, tie them to that instead."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

There are a few trees not far south that seem suitable enough for the purpose in question. Off the road, you find the ground to be surprisingly treacherous, easily surpassing the crude highway in muddiness; the rain has somehow done a masterful job of turning it into a nasty combination of wet grass and soft, squishy earth, complete with a few small pools of dirty water. If care is not taken, it's quite easy to slip and fall, getting mud all over one's clothes and armour.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

"We have a long trek through the wood, tying the beasts off is a death sentence. Best to unsaddle them when they can travel no more, cut them loose to run. They will find the way home, or find the great herds on the high plains."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel looks at the group and nods at Roland. "Very well," he addresses them, "if you all feel our investigation would benefit from looking into this light and hum," he tried not to rub his temples, "then let's make our way toward it, going as far as we can on the horses."

Taldrel hadn't expected a point of interest this early out of the Academy, and he wasn't sure it would help them find the man who was their only lead, but at the very least it should prove interesting. A shame they would be walking most of the rest of the way.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


I seem to be confused; are we approaching the heap big forest we will need to take the elf trails through on foot, or some other smaller intermediary patch of forest? I may be stupid.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

This is an unrelated, very small wood on the way to Farling, so small that it's not even on this particular map. See the dot on the map for your approximate location. Farling is about a day's ride away still. Sorry if anything was unclear.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

"Hopefully it will not come to loosing the horses, however. Let us hope this can be put paid to quickly."

Oh, we should probably keep the horses then. D'oh

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

Petra bows his head, clasps his holy symbol tightly and utters a quick, whispered prayer to Melora for guidance. "Great Mother of all things natural within this sphere, make me an instrument of thy will and point me where thou wouldst find me useful."

There's no response, but he still swears he can feel Melora's will in his head.

"I feel that we have been given signs from Melora," he states. "Let us see what we find." He turns his horse toward the small forest, setting off slowly.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

The party are agreed and leave the road behind to ride northward towards the wood. It is slow going, one misstep being all it'd take for one of the horses to break a leg, but for now luck remains on their side. The wood is about three hundred feet away; as you get closer, both the arcane emanation and the buzzing sound grow stronger, the latter continuing to rise in pitch, slowly turning into a whine of sorts that is definitely very unpleasant, if not mildly painful in one's head.

You're about one hundred feet from the edge of the copse when this all changes. The magical aura suddenly, almost violently swells in intensity, and Annetta and Coreladdabar just barely manage to keep hold of their reeling minds as arcane energy explosively batters down on them. Relief follows just as quickly, however: with the mental equivalent of a loud popping noise, the emanation is gone virtually entirely, only the faintest of afterimages remaining in their minds. It fades into nothingness even as they catch their breath and gather their senses.
Similarly, the whine present in the heads of most of the others bursts into a shrill whistling noise that lasts for the fraction of a second before stopping entirely and abruptly with the suddenness of a door slamming shut. Roland sees the light over the treetops flicker briefly, then go out altogether. It is a welcome silence, no doubt; the quiet makes you realise how aggravating the noises were in the first place.

It also is a silence that does not last very long. After a few moments, noises are heard coming from the wood. It is hard to put a finger on them initially, faint amidst the constant, soft murmur of the rain as they are, but as they come closer, you identify them: they are the sounds of trees being uprooted, of trees crashing to the ground and crushing the underbrush. Your horses seem suddenly uneasy, snorting loudly and stomping their hooves, and more than one of them needs to be actively restrained lest it simply bolt in the opposite direction. It is too dark now to make out anything beyond the outermost trees at the edge of the wood, but the noises themselves tell you enough: whatever is in the forest is big, and it's steadily making for the muddy field beyond the copse or for you.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel grabs his reins tightly and holds his horse from running off. The sudden, piercing whistle sound had startled him at first, but he was glad for the silence. Taldrel thought his horse was hearing the same thing he was and that the shriek had startled her, but then he noticed the sounds coming from the edge of the woods.

Something was moving in there. Something big. Taldrel readies his shield and spear, but his horse didn't look like she was the fighting sort. Taldrel yells for the group to hold, but he probably didn't have to. Whatever it was, it was coming for them. "Mages! In the back!" he yells to the group behind him. He wouldn't have to tell the others, but he didn't want the dandy and the girl in the way if it came to fighting. And it looked like it would.

Smoke monster from Lost, calling it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

The relief on her face is visible as the vibration abruptly vanishes like a snuffed candle, even when it's replaced by the crashing of tormented trees and disturbed soil. Somehow, a mystery taken physical form was more comforting than some uncanny arcane force of pure annoyance. Or at the very least easier to plan around. She tried to steady her uneasy horse and put on a calm face, as she turned to address the others between loud noises from the copse.

"The....sound stops, and this thing starts. We know it's big, and probably has some magic to it: the rest will reveal itself..." Another crash. "...quite soon, I'd say. Any new ideas on what it could be, or do we just wait for the grand unveiling?"

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Coreladdabar IV of Lockhaven

Coreladdabar is already near the back of the group. He knows how this game works. He mentally runs through his prepared spells, reminding himself of his options.

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagand

Alagand quickly slips out of his saddle, and gives his gelding a slight pat on the rump, sending it trotting back towards the road. His ability in the saddle was limited, and in this terrain he was far better off on foot.

"What just happened to the magic?" he asks the arcanists, swinging his glaive free and into a warding position.

He looks around, assessing the terrain.

is there any kind of rubble, or stump, or shrubbery, that could provide cover?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Alagand finds the terrain to be rather plain, lacking shelter for the most part. There are a few smaller trees as well as a number of man-high boulders strewn about behind which one could, in a pinch, take cover. How long said cover would last is another question, of course, given the circumstances.

Meanwhile, the cascade of crashes coming from the wood grows louder and closer. There is nothing to be seen still, but the horses do sense something coming quite clearly, something they want absolutely no part of. It now takes a good deal of effort to rein them in; some primal terror is taking hold of the equines, the natural fear of a nameless predator the beasts can smell, perhaps, and it doesn't look like they're going to resist the instinct to flee very much longer, no matter what their riders do. Alagand's horse needs no further encouraging in this regard; it has already left the group well behind, and it appears that reaching the road isn't going to stop it either.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2008 around 04:13

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Coreladdabar IV of Lockhaven

Sensing the discomfort in his mount, Coreladdabar dismounts before something unbecoming happens.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

Petra grunts somewhat angrily, or at least what passes for "angrily" with him, as he would rather have tried to rein in the horses for as long as possible. But there's no turning back now. and tries to spur his horse next to Taldrel. When this fails, he reluctantly dismounts, and utters a silent prayer for Melora for the animal's safety.

He readies his shield and draws his sword, steeling himself for the oncoming attack and standing slightly ahead of Taldrel. "Madam Tirsul, I do believe we'll be needing your services up here, as well."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

As the noises get closer and closer, Taldrel's horse becomes increasingly terrified. This was not a combat mount, he realizes. Taldrel quickly gathers his pack and dismounts, sending his horse toward the road. He didn't expect to see it again.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

Vaulting from the saddle, Roland's bow is out and a pair of arrows knocked before he lands.

Perception +16; Dung +14 and Nature +16 to know WTF it is

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

"I am here." Landra, being no cavalrywoman either, gives her horse a brief pat before vaulting off of it, landing neatly on her feet and drawing her blade. With a glance to her left arm to check that her buckler is still attached, she moves quickly to the front of the group, waiting for...whatever this is...to emerge.

The horses might well run all the way back to the Lake, she thought, in her pre-combat calm. So this will be a fight. Good. We can save the mystery for afterward.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Roland ponders all the strange and wonderful creatures he has heard of, if not encountered on his many travels, and considers which of them might suddenly turn up in a wood in the middle of nowhere following some sort of mysterious arcane occurrence, and then proceed to smash the trees aside with the greatest of ease on their way out. It can't be something wholly natural, that much he is certain of. Something from the Feywild, he muses, might fit the bill, if only because whatever this thing is seems little bewildered by its new arboreal surroundings; then again, if it hails from the Starless Beyond, as could also be the case, it might not even pause to consider its course of action, simply sensing the nearby presence of life, and moving to maim and drag it back into the dark coldness of the Far Realm. Who knows?

Sometimes, such questions handily answer themselves, however. The far-sighted among you spy shadows moving near the edge of the forest; massive shadows, and more than one of them, as well. Another two trees are swept aside casually by huge claws, and then the invaders emerge from the wood for all to see; even as they do so, the remaining horses, wisely unmounted, bolt at the sight. There are two large ursines, looking considerably meaner than your average cave bear, their claws almost twice as big as a human head. Great plates of what appears to be bone protrude from their bodies, forming a kind of natural armour. One of them stands on its hind legs, sniffing the evening air with a low, rumbling growl; the beast stands well over twelve feet tall for a few moments before it settles back on all fours, its forelegs making an audible thud as they slam into the ground.
Next to the creature they are flanking, however, even these hulking bears appear of moderate size at best. Amidst them stands a huge owlbear, its claws eagerly scratching at the wet earth as the beast towers over its escort. Its feathers have a silvery, almost white sheen to them, and Roland recalls that this is a special subspecies of owlbear, one that lives in the ever-frozen northern tundras of its native Feywild. It's said that its claws rake wounds which immediately turn blue with an inhuman cold, freezing the flesh and, eventually, the mind. The massive owlbear gives an angry screech, its yellow eyes burning into yours even at this distance.
Awed by the appearance of these three imposing beasts, it would be fairly easy to miss the two small humanoids that accompany them. They're about halfling-sized and grey of skin, each wielding what looks to be a shortsword. These quicklings, as they're aptly called in Noremien, are a rare sight indeed; some say it's because they traditionally prefer living in the Feywild, while others claim it's because they move so fast that they can actually vanish from sight altogether. Even now, they look ready to burst into action, and in fact they would, were it not for Landra's almost preternatural senses while her companions are still busy taking in the whole picture, the eladrin swordswoman gets the drop on her opponents, all of them, her battle-honed instincts serving her well. She is a veteran of the Great War for a reason, after all.

A single crack of thunder ominously rings out somewhere in the distance. Still the rain keeps falling, dripping quietly off armour and unsheathed blades and forming thousands of little drops on the fur of your opponents. The ground underneath is not without dangers of its own and may just give way when one least expects it to. Everything considered, this is unlikely to be a battle of legend, with shining armour and gracefully dispatched foes; it's probably going to be ugly and dirty and bloody.


Statblocks as usual, please. Since many of you have abilities, powers, items etc. that can go off when it's not your turn, please also specify these in your statblocks, along with the conditions under which you'd like to use them. Again, whenever you do something that involves numbers, please include all relevant figures, outside your statblocks. I'll do my best to keep track of things, but since combat at paragon tier can get fairly complicated at times, we'll all benefit from keeping things as clear as possible.


Dark brown squares are extraordinarily muddy and considered difficult terrain, though with a successful DC 20 Acrobatics check, they cost only one square of movement to enter. Failing the check means you fall prone in the square you were trying to enter the difficult terrain from. Light brown and grey squares contain the aforementioned trees and rocks, respectively, and grant cover.


code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
|[b]-->[/b]| [b]Landra[/b]                | [b]37[/b] |                        |
|   | Quickling Zephyrs     | 34 |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #1 |    |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #2 |    |                        |
|   | Alagand               | 32 |                        |
|   | Roland                | 27 |                        |
|   | Taldrel               | 22 |                        |
|   | Annetta               | 22 |                        |
|   | Coreladdabar          | 21 |                        |
|   | Petra                 | 16 |                        |
|   | Winterclaw Owlbear    | 14 |                        |
|   | Dire Bears            | 14 |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #1        |    |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #2        |    |                        |
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

She watches as the monsters emerge from the copse, her breaths steadying in the calm before the storm, eyes narrowing as she spots something...there.

"Anyone having a flash of recognition? Now's the time to speak up." And with that, she breaks into a run, sprinting across the field towards one of the quicklings: they might be fast, but now they took the field with a truefey, and she would show them fast.

Move -> S11 -> N11, then Charge to H5, mark and attack Quickling 1 with Tide of Iron: if it hits, I'll knock it into F6 and not shift. If the Dire Bears or Owlbear hit me this turn (unlikely: only one of the DBs should even be able to reach me, and the owlbear has a tree in the way that would slow it down at least a little), I'll use Unbreakable to reduce the damage by 6.

Tide of Iron: 1 melee target
Standard: +16 v. AC, 1d8+9 dmg, push target 1 square, can shift into target's previous square


code:
Landra
--------------
HP: 87/87			AC: 26 
Healing Surge: 10/10 (heal 21) 	Fort: 24 
Speed: 6 			Refl: 24 
Initiative: +14	 		Will: 21 
Action Points: 1/1 		Perc: +7 (passive 17)
				Inst: +12 (passive 22)
Features: Resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic (Black Iron Armor)
+4 to OAs, hit enemies stop moving. (Combat Superiority, Blade Opportunist)
Adjacent marked enemies provoke melee basic attack (Combat Superiority)
5 damage on misses with scimitars (Scimitar Dance)
 
At-Will: Combat Challenge, Cleave, Tide of Iron
Encounter: Fey Step, Covering Attack, Dance of Steel,
Come and Get It, Into The Fray, Precision Cut, Unbreakable
Daily: Comeback Strike, Boundless Endurance, Crack The Shell, 
Defensive Training, Thicket of Blades

Basic Attacks:

Melee: Vicious Scimitar (+15 v. AC, 1d8+9 dmg, +2d8+3d12 crit)
Thrown: Thunderburst (+15 v. AC, 1d4+6 dmg, +1d6 thunder crit)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2008 around 19:56

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

Roland's bow comes up, and out. Today was a fine day to die.

For them, that was. Roland had no intention of dying. He was looking forward to seeing his companions fight, their mettle was as yet untested after all.

For that matter, so was his.

code:
AC: 25          Fort 20        Ref 25           Will 22
HP: 75/75       Surges/Day: 8  Surge: 19        Init: +13
Acrobatics +18  Athletics +12  Perception +16   Stealth +20
Uncanny Dodge; Defensive Mobility; Secret Stride; Light Step

If engaged in Melee: Weave Through the Fray
If a bogus power is used on myself or an ally: Disruptive Strike

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

The eladrin weaves through the rain swiftly and gracefully, looking for the ideal vantage point from which to launch her attack. Picking one of the quicklings as her target, Landra then charges forward, weapon raised high, every bit as relentless and terrible as her epithet might suggest. As a result, the diminuitive fey creature is caught completely off guard, the swordswoman landing a devastating blow that almost severs one of its arms. The quickling staggers back, its large, black eyes fixed on its attacker in surprise and wrath, and subjects the eladrin to a torrent of words that is over as quickly as it began, what with it chattering angrily at mindboggling speeds. Landra manages to identify the language as Elven, or some fey dialect thereof, but cannot make out what exactly the quickling is saying; it simply talks too fast for her to parse its words without some effort.
Glaring at her one last time, the small fey humanoid darts past her, taking care not to venture anywhere near her cruel blade again. From the corner of her eye, Landra notices its companion doing much the same, also heading southwards towards the others. At some point, their movement simply becomes too fast to keep up with, both for Landra's eyes and those of her comrades-in-arms; the quicklings quite literally vanish into thin air, leaving no trace of their passing.


Landra claims first blood and crits on the hapless quickling, dealing 46 damage and bloodying it with one fell blow. The quicklings use Blinding Speed and turn invisible. Everybody is up.



code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
|   | Landra                | 37 |                        |
|   | Quickling Zephyrs     | 34 |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #1 |    |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #2 |    |                        |
|[b]-->[/b]| [b]Alagand[/b]               | [b]32[/b] |                        |
|   | Roland                | 27 |                        |
|   | Taldrel               | 22 |                        |
|   | Annetta               | 22 |                        |
|   | Coreladdabar          | 21 |                        |
|   | Petra                 | 16 |                        |
|   | Winterclaw Owlbear    | 14 |                        |
|   | Dire Bears            | 14 |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #1        |    |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #2        |    |                        |
-----------------------------------------------------------

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

Annetta looks on at the beasts, chewing on her lip for the briefest of moments in decision, before holding her wand out, cursing the Owlbeast and the nearest bear, the magics in the rod amplifying her curse to the point where it stung. Not much, not yet, she had not truly begun to work her magic. But for now, position! Find herself a good spot from which to shatter the minds of her enemies. Glancing at the bears and the owlbeast...thing... she wasn't entirely sure how much mind there was. Advancing to a spot behind a particularly thick patch of mud, she could almost feel the shadows she passed clinging to her, hiding her from careless sight.

Cursing Owlbear and Dire Bear 1, dealing 2 damage to each. Moving to Q12, assuming no one beats me there. If someone does, then eh, will move to a square adjacent to it as close as I can to the beasties.

code:
AC: 24       Fort: 21     Refl: 24     Will: 26
HP: 77/77    Surges: 8    Value: 19    Init: +6
Per: +13     Ins: +11     Stealth: +9  Arcana: +14
Resists: 5 Radiant

Special Abilities
  Slashing Wake: Deal 4 damage to all adjacent enemies on teleports.
  Misty Step: When a cursed enemy falls below 0 HP, can teleport up to 
    5 squares.
  Alertness: No combat advantage during surprise rounds.
  Rod of Reaving: 2 damage to curse recipients.
Generic Reactions
  Sacrifice to Caiphon: If all targets of an encounter spell are
    missed and HP>25, deal damage equal to spell level and recover it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

Roland scurries behind a rock, hunkering. He takes his first shot carefully; he would not get a second chance to make a first impression on this monster. Moving behind the rock at X16, using Stealth +20 as part of the action to gain CA on WO if possible. Free action to QUARRY every visible foe. Excruciating Shot on the WO, will use ELVEN ACCURACY if I miss.

code:
AC: 25          Fort 20        Ref 25           Will 22
HP: 75/75       Surges/Day: 8  Surge: 19        Init: +13
Acrobatics +18  Athletics +12  Perception +16   Stealth +20
Uncanny Dodge; Defensive Mobility; Secret Stride; Light Step

If engaged in Melee: Weave Through the Fray
If a bogus power is used on myself or an ally: Disruptive Strike

Excruciating Shot (Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon)
    * Standard Action Ranged weapon
    * Target: One creature
    * Attack: +17 vs. AC (+19 with CA)
    * Crit: +3d6
    * Hit: 3d10+2d6+9 damage, and the target is weakened (save ends).
    * Miss: Half damage, and the target is not weakened.

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagand

This looks bad. Those things are huge. Landra's up there on her own. Can't quite make it that close. Gotta back her up.

Alagand takes off towards the monsters, his hand outstretched. Suddenly, the air around the owlbear's head becomes painful to look at. There is no perceptible change in color, except for perhaps a slight violet tinge to the air, but the sensation of brightness is overwhelming.

move to P8, darklight blast on the owlbear

code:
[b][u]Status[/u]				[u]Defenses[/u]
HP:[/b] 76/76			[b]AC:[/b] 25
[b]Surges:[/b] 9/9 (19hp)		[b]Fortitude:[/b] 21
[b]Action Points:[/b] 1		[b]Reflex:[/b] 19
[b]Second Wind:[/b] 1			[b]Will:[/b] 24
[b]Channel Divinity:[/b] 1		[b]Senses:[/b] Low-light, perception +12
[b]Healing Word:[/b] 2

[b]At-Will[/b] Unholy Brand, Profane Scorch
[b]Encounter[/b] Wrathful Thunder, Command, Bastion of Health, [s]Darklight Blast[/s],
          Distracting Wound, Elven Accuracy, Sneak Attack
[b]Daily[/b] Hellfire Vengeance, Shield of Faith, Spiritual Weapon, Divine Power,
      Mass Cure Light Wounds
						
[b]Darklight Blast:[/b] Range 10, +12 vs. Reflex (2d6+7 Radiant) - Target
                 is blinded until end of next turn.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

Petra steps cautiously forward, calling out in Elven in case the fey can hear. His booming voice echoes powerfully, and the others can see why Petra is known as a speaker: "I am Petra M'orderial, the reaping blade of Melora. I swear you no harm if you surrender to me immediately!"

Doing some fancy contingency stuff:

I'm assuming Petra doesn't know the quicklings will reappear if they attack someone, but that he
does know to attack them if they do appear.

First, free action to set his sword aflame.

If someone ahead of Petra in the initiative order is AoOed by the fey, and Petra can reach them, move: walk adjacent to the fey, but as far north as possible, minor: issue Divine Challenge, and standard: use Shielding Smite, giving the +2 AC bonus to the attacked ally:

Petra charges forward relentlessly and without hesitation, stabbing downward with the blade.

If they're AoOed and Petra cannot reach them, but the attacker is within 11 squares, move: walk to within 5 squares, minor: issue Divine Challenge, standard: Radiant Delirium against them, and:

Petra holds out his sword hand. His holy symbol, hanging from his wrist, glows bright green, and searing light emanates from it toward the fey.

If no one ahead of Petra is AoOed by the fey, or they're more than 11 squares away, move: step forward to N15. If Petra is AoOed by the fey along the way, immediately stop and minor: issue Divine Challenge, and standard: Shielding Smite, giving AC bonus to nearest ally. Flavor text as above. If Petra is NOT AoOed by the fey, standard: Eyebite against Winterclaw Owlbear, and:

Petra points his sword at the Owlbear, his holy symbol hanging from his hand. His eyes glow bright green for just a second as he releases a psychic assault on the monster, and he issues a booming roar to get the creature's attention. "Face me, fel creature!"

Shielding Smite: +15 vs. AC, hit: 2d8+9 fire damage (crit: 25+2d6 fire damage), effect: +2 AC to chosen ally.
Radiant Delirium: +10 vs. Reflex, hit: 3d8+7 radiant damage (crit: 31 radiant damage) and target is dazed until the end of my next turn and suffers a -2 AC penalty, miss: half damage and target is dazed.
Eyebite: +10 vs. Will, hit: 1d6+5 psychic damage (crit: 11 psychic damage) and turn invisible to the target until start of my next turn.
Divine Challenge: Target suffers -2 attack roll penalty for attacks that don't include me as a target and takes 11 radiant damage if it doesn't attack me before the start of my next turn.

Petra always AoOs marked targets with Enfeebling Strike: +17 vs. AC, hit: 1d8+9 fire damage (crit: 17+2d6 fire damage) and target suffers a -2 attack roll penalty until the end of my next turn.
He AoOs nonmarked targets with Bolstering Strike: +17 vs. AC, hit: 1d8+9 fire damage (crit: 17+2d6 fire damage) and gain 2 temporary hit points.


code:
Petra M'orderial
--------------
HP: 90/90			AC: 26 
Healing Surge: 12/12 (heal 22) 	Fort: 21 
Speed: 6 			Refl: 22 
Initiative: +7	 		Will: 24 
Action Points: 1 		Perc: +9 (passive 19)
				Inst: +16 (passive 26)
Features: Resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic (Black Iron Armor)
Ally attacked by marked opponent regains 7 hit points, whether the attack hits or
misses (Hospitaler's Blessing)
+2 to OAs, use at-will powers (Blade Opportunist, Heavy Blade Opportunity)
 
At-Will: Divine Challenge, Lay on Hands (2 remaning), Bolstering Strike, Enfeebling Strike
Encounter: Shielding Smite, Eyebite, Invigorating Smite, Divine Reverence,
Cleansing Spirit, Warding Blow, Channel Divinity (Divine Strength, Divine Mettle,
or Melora's Tide)
Daily: Radiant Delirium, Astral Speech, Sign of Vulnerability, Wrath of the Gods,
Crown of Glory

Basic Attacks:

Melee: Flaming Longsword (+12 v. AC, 1d8+4 fire dmg, +2d6 fire crit)
Thrown: Handaxe (+9 v. AC, 1d6+2 dmg, +2d6 crit)

Opportunity Attacks:

Vs. marked foe: Enfeebling Strike (+17 vs. AC, 1d8+9 fire damage, +2d6 fire crit,
and target suffers a -2 attack roll penalty until the end of my next turn)
Vs. unmarked foe: Bolstering Strike (+17 vs. AC, 1d8+9 fire damage, +2d6 fire crit,
and gain 2 temporary hit points)
oh god i hope i did this right

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Coreladdabar IV of Lockhaven

Coreladdabar surveys the positions of his enemies. Summoning arcane energy, he casts Storm Cage upon the Owlbear. A crackling wall of lightning forms around the beast, and the sounds of thunder can be heard from within. The half-elf's face bears a smug expression as he watches the creature being enveloped in the power of a storm. Fitting, considering how the night has gone thus far ...

Coreladdabar casts Storm Cage to F-11. +12 Int vs Reflex, 4d6+7 damage. 10 damage to any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the wall or moves through it. Movement through costs 1 extra square. No position change.

code:
[b]HP:[/b] 73/73			[b]AC:[/b] 21
[b]Surges:[/b] 7/7 (16hp)		[b]Fortitude:[/b] 17
[b]Action Points:[/b] 1/1		[b]Will:[/b] 22
[b]Speed:[/b] 6			[b]Reflex:[/b] 20

[b]At-Will:[/b] Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Scorching Blast, Cloud of Daggers
[b]Encounter:[/b] Icy Terrain, Color Spray, Enemies Abound, [s]Storm Cage[/s], Jump, Illusory Wall
[b]Daily:[/b] Phantom Chasm, Web, Ice Storm, Invisibility

Stormtrooper fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2008 around 20:53

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel wasn't surprised at what came out of the woods - 2 grey halflings and a few wild animals. What did surprise him was both the size of the animals and the 2 halflings disappearing act. Landra surprised him as well, reacting lightning fast and gorging one of them before he vanished. While Taldrel wished the group would stay more or less together, he had to admit, it was impressive.

Taldrel wasn't fast enough to take a slice at one of the animals before they could react, and to be honest he didn't want to distance himself so far from the group. Roland fell back to cover them, and Taldrel looks to Annetta and Alagand and decides to move up with them, yelling for the group to stay close.

Moving to P11, taking no action. (should have bought a crossbow)

code:
[b]HP:[/b] 78/78                        [b]AC  :[/b] 25
[b]Surges:[/b] 11/11 (22hp)             [b]Fort:[/b] 20
[b]Action Points:[/b] 1	         [b]Will:[/b] 18
[b]Speed:[/b] 5	                 [b]Refl:[/b] 18

Basic Melee Attack: +15 vs AC, 1d8+8 damage (+3d6 on crit)

[b]At-Will: [/b]Commander's Strike, Wolf-pack Tactics 
[b]Encounter:[/b] Cleave, Inspiring Word 2/2 (minor action), Hammer and Anvil, 
   Aid the Injured, Steel Monsoon, Guide the Charge (immediate interrupt), 
   Surprise Attack, Skirmish Ploy 
[b]Daily: [/b]Lead the Attack, Villain's Nightmare, Knock Them Down, 
   [s]Tactical Shift (immediate interrupt, ally hit by enemy can shift up to 4 squares)[/s],
   Healing Surge (free action), Healing Surge (immediate reaction after being crit), 
   Gauntlets of Ogre STR (free action, +5 damage on melee attack)

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2008 around 03:24

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

While he did his grim work, Roland's eyes drank in the others. This was their first chance to fight as one. He would mark well the strengths of each.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

Annetta could feel the magic welling up in her, clawing at her soul to break free and scourge her enemies. It was an age old feeling for her now, one she had learned to not give in to however. Control. Restraint. Calculation. These were what set her apart from the maddened practitioners of her art. She would wait until the opportunity to strike, and would then do so with guile and finesse, rather then raw, searing hate. Calmly, she stood there in the rain, watching, waiting for the beasts to approach.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

The former cleric of Tiamat slogs through the mud, his eyes on the huge form of the owlbear. From his hand springs some dark divine curse that envelopes the beast's head in terrible radiance, and for a moment, it almost looks like it's going to take effect; with an exasperated screech, however, the owlbear swats at its head, and somehow the supernatural brightness evaporates harmlessly, leaving the owlbear no worse for wear. It has less luck swatting aside Roland's arrow, though; none at all, in fact. Stealthily crouching behind a boulder, the archer lets loose a projectile that catches the owlbear entirely unawares, driving deep into its flank. Again the monster screeches, in pain this time; the arrow must have struck a nerve centre or some other important part of the owlbear's anatomy, as the beast suddenly seems a good deal less lively.
Taldrel moves into position, choosing, perhaps wisely, not to wander too close to the hulking beasts. Annetta bestows her curse upon them, which bothers the creatures little; the wall of raging lightning which Coreladdabar then proceeds to conjure up, however, most definitely does. It strikes the owlbear particularly hard, though the other bears find merely being in its vicinity to be painful enough. Petra's attempt at resolving the situation diplomatically goes entirely unheeded, meanwhile. It is doubtful the bears understand him at all in the first place, and the quicklings either aren't in a debating mood or simply don't choose to give away their locations by responding to the paladin; most likely, the fact that his companions have been showering the beasts with arrow and spell isn't helping either. As such, the paladin instead strides forward and hurls a mind-wrecking spell of his own at the owlbear, which appears to work marvelously: the beast recoils in pain and stares in Petra's direction or, rather, the direction it last saw the armoured half-elf in, because he is now inexplicably gone from its sight. While the monster's brain attempts to make sense of this, the dire bears at last burst into action, no doubt spurned on by the electrical proximity of Coreladdabar's arcane enclosure. One of them rears up and almost lands a crushing blow on Landra; Taldrel, however, somehow anticipates the bear's attack and shouts a warning at the eladrin, who neatly manages to duck under the claw swipe and move out of the creature's reach for the time being. It swiftly moves after her and attempts to smash the offending swordswoman again, but this time, its blows go wide. Petra has less luck, finding the other bear taking some interest in him, and suffers two mighty claw strikes that hurt a good deal even through his armour.
The offending paladin gone from its sight, the owlbear finally begins to move, shouldering its way through the wall of lightning with a number of pained, angry screeches. Seeing the feyborn that almost slew one of its quickling companions and eluded the attacks of the dire bear, it bears down on her with furious swings. Its efforts are in vain, though: between Roland's arrow still doing its job, Landra mustering some renowed resolve of her own, and Petra's divine abilities, the eladrin actually emerges from the owlbear's torrent of attacks entirely unscathed, while the beast is blasted with holy light for ignoring the paladin's challenge. Landra does, however, feel her limbs responding more slowly, while at the same time the owlbear appears to get over the hindering effects of Roland's arrow.


Alagand misses. Roland lands his Excruciating Shot on the owlbear for 35 damage, weakening it. Annetta curses WO and DB#1, dealing 2 damage to each. Coreladdabar hits with Storm Cage for 27 damage. Petra hits with Eyebite for 11 damage. The owlbear delays until after the dire bears, but takes 10 damage from Storm Cage. Bear number one also takes 10 damage from Storm Cage; it then attacks Landra and would hit if it weren't for Taldrel's Tactical Shift interrupt, which lets Landra avoid a critical hit and shift towards the rest of the party. It moves after her and attacks some more, but misses. The second dire bear takes 10 damage as well before moving towards Petra and mauling him for 26 damage. The owlbear moves closer to Landra, taking another 10 damage in the process, and hits her twice, but between her Unbreakable power and Petra's Hospitaler's Blessing ability, she doesn't actually take any damage. She is slowed until she saves, at least. The owlbear saves against being weakened.

Dallan: you weren't around when this went down, and in the interest of not holding the game up I decided you would take Taldrel's interrupt and move away from your secluded position. The joys of PbP in 4E.


The coloured corners on the monster tokens indicate curse/quarry, while coloured outlines represent marks being in place.


code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
|[b]-->[/b]| [b]Landra[/b]                | [b]37[/b] | Slowed                 |
|   | Quickling Zephyrs     | 34 |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #1 |    |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #2 |    |                        |
|   | Alagand               | 32 |                        |
|   | Roland                | 27 |                        |
|   | Taldrel               | 22 |                        |
|   | Annetta               | 22 |                        |
|   | Coreladdabar          | 21 |                        |
|   | Petra                 | 16 |                        |
|   | Dire Bears            | 14 |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #1        |    |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #2        |    |                        |
|   | Winterclaw Owlbear    | 13 |                        |
-----------------------------------------------------------

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2008 around 16:59

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

Maele, I wish you were still alive right now. So I could kick you. Hearing the paladin try and negotiate with the pack of bears and barely coherent fey was a bit of a shock to be sure, but as the bears rush forward, Landra is left too busy to even be critical in her head. They rapidly drive her backward, and leaves her momentarily panting and slowed down, but miraculously unwounded and able to take the initiative back.

Sizing up the situation, she glances back over her shoulder to see the wizard standing alone, shouting back through the rain. "Corel! Move up, they'll be going for you!" Then, she retreats a bit further, sidestepping nearly into the owlbear's path with a flourish of her blade, and lashing out at its massive leg.

Moving to M10, then hitting the owlbear with Dance of Steel (no mark this time).

Dance of Steel: 1 melee target
Standard: +15 v. AC, 2d8+9 dmg, target slowed until end of next turn.


code:
Landra
--------------
HP: 87/87			AC: 26 
Healing Surge: 10/10 (heal 21) 	Fort: 24 
Speed: 6 			Refl: 24 
Initiative: +14	 		Will: 21 
Action Points: 1/1 		Perc: +7 (passive 17)
				Inst: +12 (passive 22)
Features: Resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic (Black Iron Armor)
+4 to OAs, hit enemies stop moving. (Combat Superiority, Blade Opportunist)
Adjacent marked enemies provoke melee basic attack (Combat Superiority)
5 damage on misses with scimitars (Scimitar Dance)

Standard Interrupts: If Precision Cut is unused, use it for OAs.
 
At-Will: Combat Challenge, Cleave, Tide of Iron
Encounter: Fey Step, Covering Attack, [s]Dance of Steel[/s],
Come and Get It, Into The Fray, Precision Cut, [s]Unbreakable[/s]
Daily: Comeback Strike, Boundless Endurance, Crack The Shell, 
Defensive Training, Thicket of Blades

Basic Attacks:

Melee: Vicious Scimitar (+15 v. AC, 1d8+9 dmg, +2d8+3d12 crit)
Thrown: Thunderburst (+15 v. AC, 1d4+6 dmg, +1d6 thunder crit)

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagand

A decisive move early on can often dramatically affect the fortunes of a battle, Alagand has found. He springs forward, and a dark sheen seems to spread over the blade of his glaive as it slashes at the monstrous owlbear. As the blade connects, a bit of the creature's fur seems to wither and turn black, forming a sigil that stands out on its hide. Landra feels that her blade could find that mark more easily...

The momentum of the polearm carries it around and back at the beast, and this time when the blade connects, the owlbear is limned with multi-hued flame.

move to N10, unholy brand the owlbear, giving the bonus to Landra (Petra's already got CA from eyebite), then spend an action point and Hellfire Vengeance the owlbear. Using Elven Accuracy if Hellfire Vengeance misses. Warlord bonuses are included in stat block.

code:
[b][u]Status[/u]				[u]Defenses[/u]
HP:[/b] 76/76			[b]AC:[/b] 25
[b]Surges:[/b] 9/9 (19hp)		[b]Fortitude:[/b] 21
[b]Action Points:[/b] 0		[b]Reflex:[/b] 19
[b]Second Wind:[/b] 1			[b]Will:[/b] 24
[b]Channel Divinity:[/b] 1		[b]Senses:[/b] Low-light, perception +12
[b]Healing Word:[/b] 2

[b]At-Will[/b] Unholy Brand, Profane Scorch
[b]Encounter[/b] Wrathful Thunder, Command, Bastion of Health, [s]Darklight Blast[/s],
          Distracting Wound, Elven Accuracy, Sneak Attack
[b]Daily[/b] [s]Hellfire Vengeance[/s], Shield of Faith, Spiritual Weapon, Divine Power,
      Mass Cure Light Wounds
						
[b]Unholy Brand:[/b] Melee, +14 vs. AC (2d4+7) - One ally within 5 squares gains
              a +4 power bonus on attack rolls against the target until
              end of next turn.

[b]Hellfire Vengeance:[/b] Melee, +15 vs. AC (4d4+10) - Target takes ongoing
                    5 Fire damage.  If target attacks on its turn, it
                    can't save.
                    Miss: Half damage, no ongoing damage.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Despite her legs feeling like they're made of lead, Landra closes in on the owlbear and swings her scimitar in a graceful arc. The beast moves its leg just in time, however, and the blade only causes a shallow cut. At least the attack seems to have a reinvigorating effect on her, though, as she feels much more mobile again. Her warning to the wizard, on the other hand, while perfectly sensible, comes too late. Literally out of nowhere, a small grey shape slams into Coreladdabar, its blade scoring a nasty gash in his side; an injury like this can only be inflicted with cunning and maliciousness, and the sheer agony dazes the half-elf. It is the fey so grievously wounded by Landra earlier that caused it; pure hatred gleams in its dark eyes as it cackles evilly. A little further to the north, Petra doesn't fare much better: the other quickling's sword-like weapon, appearing out of thin air, finds a gap in his armour and stabs into the flesh, the rush of pain exploding in his head almost knocking the paladin senseless.
Alagand moved forward to engage the wintry beast. Today apparently is not his day, however, as each of his attacks fails to affect the creature in any significant way, even taking into the account the legendary accuracy of elves. The wrathful flame of his second swing scorches the owlbear a little, but does not leave any lasting marks.


Landra misses the owlbear, but deals 5 damage thanks to Scimitar Dance. She makes her save against being slowed. One quickling charges Coreladdabar, hitting him for 19 damage and dazing him (save ends). The other quickling attacks Petra and hits as well, dealing 20 damage and dazing him (save ends). He's (barely) bloodied. Alagand misses the owlbear with amazing consistency, dealing only 9 damage when Hellfire Vengeance whiffs (even after the reroll).



code:
-----------------------------------------------------------
|   | Landra                | 37 |                        |
|   | Quickling Zephyrs     | 34 |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #1 |    |                        |
|   |   Quickling Zephyr #2 |    |                        |
|   | Alagand               | 32 |                        |
|[b]-->[/b]| [b]Roland[/b]                | [b]27[/b] |                        |
|   | Taldrel               | 22 |                        |
|   | Annetta               | 22 |                        |
|   | Coreladdabar          | 21 | Dazed                  |
|   | Petra                 | 16 | Dazed                  |
|   | Dire Bears            | 14 |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #1        |    |                        |
|   |   Dire Bear #2        |    |                        |
|   | Winterclaw Owlbear    | 13 |                        |
-----------------------------------------------------------

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


awww, that sucked!

Since the quickling bloodied Petra before my turn, I'd like to throw a healing word his way for a healing surge +3d6+5.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

OK. Petra heals surge + 8 + 5, which I think comes out to 35 hitpoints altogether. Simply pretend he's not in fact bloodied on the map above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Ah, the fight is joined. Taldrel enjoyed the brief moment just before engaging the enemy, when his force connects with the enemy in a dance of death. He didn't linger long - he wouldn't let them have all the fun.

Taldrel seizes the opportunity of Coreladdabar's lingering spell, charging the owlbear trying to push it back into the wall of lightning.

Moving to M12, using Skirmish Ploy to push the owlbear into the lightning spell.
+15 vs Reflex, 1d8+5 (+3d6 crit), slides the target 2 squares back, target dazed until end of my next turn, 1 ally within 2 squares (i.e. Landra) can shift 1 square nearer to the target.

code:
[b]HP:[/b] 78/78                        [b]AC  :[/b] 25
[b]Surges:[/b] 11/11 (22hp)             [b]Fort:[/b] 20
[b]Action Points:[/b] 1	         [b]Will:[/b] 18
[b]Speed:[/b] 5	                 [b]Refl:[/b] 18

Basic Melee Attack: +15 vs AC, 1d8+8 damage (+3d6 on crit)

[b]At-Will: [/b]Commander's Strike, Wolf-pack Tactics 
[b]Encounter:[/b] Cleave, Inspiring Word 2/2 (minor action), Hammer and Anvil, 
   Aid the Injured, Steel Monsoon, Guide the Charge (immediate interrupt), 
   Surprise Attack, [s]Skirmish Ploy[/s] 
[b]Daily: [/b]Lead the Attack, Villain's Nightmare, Knock Them Down, 
   [s]Tactical Shift (immediate interrupt, ally hit by enemy can shift up to 4 squares)[/s],
   Healing Surge (free action), Healing Surge (immediate reaction after being crit), 
   Gauntlets of Ogre STR (free action, +5 damage on melee attack), Helm of Heroes

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«98 »