Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«98 »
  • Post
  • Reply
The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

Annetta shrugs, giving up on trying to figure out the providence of the broach. There are other mysteries, and this one is not providing any clues anyways. "I could use some rest, and not stumbling over everything in the gloom here. Setting up camp, somewhere not near here would be most welcome. Also, I think while we are down here that someone with some wilderness experience should perhaps take lead, Roland seems a good call in this. I might be quite comfortably at home in the towns and cities, but I am afraid I have few useful suggestions for the forests and open spaces. The night sky at least is nice to look at."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

She walks over as Petra offers a look at the brooch, wincing from some lingering pain as she bent to take it from beside the seated paladin. It was a beautiful thing, and powerfully enchanted, but at length she shook her head and handed it back to him. "No, I think someone else could put it to better use."

Straightening up, she looks around, beckoning to the others. A brief glance goes back towards the road, before she shrugs: the horses are a lost cause. Instead she speaks up. "Come, we need to move into the forest and make camp, before it gets too dark or the skies decide to open up on us again. Not to mention the stitches we'll need to break out. We can theorise when we get there."

As Annetta echoes her sentiment, she turns to Roland to look him over, frankly appraising him before giving a nod. "You're right, Annetta: our best tracker should take the lead while we're out here, and that's surely Roland. I know the cities, and I remember the Feywild, but the mundane dangers of the wilderness aren't my strong point."

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2008 around 19:09

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagand

Alagand smiles at Petra. "It suits you," he says, "by all means put it on."

He takes a deep breath, leaning on his glaive, and gathers himself for a moment, recovering from the battle and allowing his heart to slow its pace. After a few minutes, he looks up. "All right then, let's go."

spending a healing surge to bring me to full. The party goes a little way into the woods and sets up camp for the night.

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Coreladdabar IV of Lockhaven

The wizard watches idly as his fellow adventurers squabble over the newly-found trinkets. Sighing to himself, he wonders when they'll be able to set camp for the night. He was tired and he'd had enough of running around the woods. Plus, his favorite tunic had a tear in it now. What a day.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

"Hearing no complaints..." Petra removes the simple, silver clasp on his cloak and replaces it with the new brooch. He can sense the brooch's enchantment overriding the one on his cloak.

"And by all means, Roland, lead on."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

"All right," Roland says trying out the quickling blades. "Let's get a mile or two from the scene, find some tree cover. Build a fire." He gigs his horse around, starts in for a likely site.

I guess we go find camp!

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Coreladdabar IV of Lockhaven

Coreladdbar agrees with Roland's no-nonsense attitude, and follows him away from the site of the battle.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


I will lead if no one else wants to, but I am bad at it, just sayin! I am a good player for leading because I spam with posts but Roland is half modeled on Zap Brannigan and I am unclear if that would be good for business as far as leading goes.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm not too sure about being led by a man half mad. Taldrel would make a logical choice for leader, being a guard captain and whatnot, but he's out of his element in the forest. I'd be okay with making decisions on what to do, but Taldrel would be asking the other characters a lot as to the best course of action. I'm not a very experienced player, but I'd be willing to give it a go. Up to you guys I guess.

Either way, can we please pitch camp and start out in the morning?

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra's pretty much out of the running. If the last eight years have taught us anything it's that religious fanatics should not lead anything ever. oh snap

I guess he could do it since he'll be decisive but I'd lean toward Landra, Roland, or Taldrel. Also we could always just pick a new leader once we're in a different situation.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Alternatively, have Roland be leader in wilderness situations on the understanding that he is never to lead anywhere near a brothel/bar/pub/anything of that like.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Transhumanist posted:

Alternatively, have Roland be leader in wilderness situations on the understanding that he is never to lead anywhere near a brothel/bar/pub/anything of that like.

This. I'm willing to lead, and Landra does decisive well enough, but she knows (assumes, really, but it's a safe one) that Roland's a better tracker than she is, so suggested him right now. Even if the rest of you picked her, she'd probably defer to him out in the wilderness (if nowhere else).

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm not too sure about being led by a man half mad. Taldrel would make a logical choice for leader, being a guard captain and whatnot, but he's out of his element in the forest. I'd be okay with making decisions on what to do, but Taldrel would be asking the other characters a lot as to the best course of action. I'm not a very experienced player, but I'd be willing to give it a go. Up to you guys I guess.

Either way, can we please pitch camp and start out in the morning?



Fine with me. I am waiting on MMA really.

OK so, we can rotate the leader spot for IC dealings; say Roland is in charge if it involves shooting something or going through a forest, Taldrel or Landra can boss people in the cities, and Petra can be in charge if there are some dishes to be done or whatever.

Who wants the OOC "caller" spot that MMA seems to be requesting? Someone to say WE ARE DOIN THIS as a final thing MMA can act on. I would rather NOT.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Winson_Paine posted:

Who wants the OOC "caller" spot that MMA seems to be requesting? Someone to say WE ARE DOIN THIS as a final thing MMA can act on. I would rather NOT.

I'll do it, if nobody else minds or wants to step up.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Dallan Invictus posted:

I'll do it, if nobody else minds or wants to step up.

You seem upstanding, I vote YOU.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra's Charisma gives him a +10 to all dishwashing rolls

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Having claimed the quicklings' possessions as their own, the party set off into the forest. Viewed up close, the path the fey monsters so crudely created for themselves is even more impressive; some thirty feet wide and almost perfectly straight, it nevertheless doesn't make for comfortable travel as such most of the underbrush still remains, and the path is riddled with both the remainders of once-tall tree trunks, difficult to spot among the brush sometimes, and numerous natural pitfalls where entire trees were ripped out of the ground, roots and all. Thankfully, no further injuries are sustained while navigating this trail, and after a short time, a small clearing a few hundred feet off this road of sorts, suitable for settling down for the night, is found. After the strenuous battle earlier, little encouragement is required to set up camp and go to sleep.

No further disturbances arise this night, the forest lying dark and quiet as the hours pass. Come morning, some rare streaks of blue can be seen in the grey clouds above. It looks to be a slightly more agreeable day than the last; while still cold and windy, it appears that you will at least be spared the rain this time. A bit less than half the journey to Farling lies behind you now; if you make decent time today, you may be able to reach it early the next morning.

That is assuming, of course, that the horses haven't run off to the gods know where.


Pretty lovely day yesterday. I hope to be more or less back in the proverbial saddle now.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel slept soundly after yesterday's fight and woke with the sun. Or, bright clouds, since he couldn't see the sun. After a small breakfast, Tadlrel asks, "So, shall we continue on to the mystery forest light?" to nobody in particular. "Best get an early start if we're to reach Farling in good time."

Hope you feel better, MMA

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

Looking to the skies and horizon, Roland comes to some conclusions. "It looks like we will at least be spared the rain this time. A bit less than half the journey to Farling lies behind us; if we make decent time we may reach it my morning. Let's ride."

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

Petra arise from his sleep reluctantly, albeit without complaint. He's still exhausted from the battle yesterday, but it's a glorious morning. He takes the time before putting his armor and cloak back on to check his wounds and remove some of his stitches.

"Speaking of riding... Do you suppose we can find our horses again? I must confess, abandoning the horses yesterday seems to have been an error in our judgment."

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagand

Alagand shrugs. "I don't know about you, but I'm not a good enough rider to fight from the back of a terrified horse. Anyhow, I think we should investigate this copse, see if we can't get a better understanding of where those fey beasts came from."

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

She's been up for a while already, standing last watch: as the others awoke and struck their camping kits, she had been working through her morning stretches, testing herself after the battering she had taken. Petra's comment draws her eyes as she rises to her feet, and she shrugs languidly - Alagund had beat her to saying what she wanted.

"Alagund is right: it was either keep the horses or win the fight. We aren't cavalry, and those were hardly warhorses. If we're lucky, they haven't run too far yet. If not..." She shrugs again. Little enough to be done about it. "But we'll see. With all that rain, at least they're leaving tracks. As for investigating..."

She pauses, tilting her head in thought: she can see the need to do so, but she hardly wants to waste time. "It will take us some time to round them up, but I doubt it'll need all of us to do so. I know I'm better used running down horses, but if anyone wants to stay here and indulge their curiosity about last night...well, we can kill two birds with one stone. Apologies, Petra," she adds with a sly grin.

oh god suggesting splitting the party

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

A nights rest does the Warlock a world of good, her arcane self inflicted wounds scabbed over, though she seems to be a bit cautious about the small split in her lip, she happily goes into her rations, wolfing the dried meat and hardtack down with perhaps far more glee then the food truly deserved. "So, round up horses or look see at the spot the buggers came in from? Seems to me the two options. While splitting up would save time, it could also be rather risky."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

"We are a hand, one from many. We should stay together. I'll begin tracking the beasts; they can not have run far. If you wish to scout, don't go far."

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

Petra grins at Landra's jab. "Certainly, Alagand and Landra," he begins lightly, "to stand our ground and stop those creatures was a priority. I mean only that, had it been possible to keep our mounts, our journey would have been made easier. Forgive me the occasional bout of foot-in-mouth disease."

"I doubt that I will be terribly useful either for tracking our mounts or for obtaining insight into the portal," he suggests, "but should we split up, I will go wherever Landra doesn't. If either group is attacked, we'll be in need of warriors to draw fire."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

Roland trots off lightly, in search of the horses.

Nature and Percepton both +16

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

"And shaving a few hours off the first leg of the trip isn't really worth the risk, hmm?" She nods, then turns to jog off behind Roland. "All right, let's go horse-hunting. At least this place will be easy to find again. Gods, those things can trample."

Aiding Roland, Nature +7 and Perception +9.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel watches incredulously as Landra and Roland trot off into the distance, seemingly oblivious to the wide swath of forest they had made camp in that was completely leveled by yesterday's foes. There could be more, and they were hard pressed to fight them the first time, and down two fighters would make any more encounters that much harder. But off they went. So it goes.

"Do they expect us to just wait here? How much good will the horses be if we're riding through wild forest?" Taldrel asks nobody in particular. Turning to the mages, "Is that magic light in the distance the same as it was yesterday? How far off do you reckon it to be?"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Roland and Landra head back the way they came the evening before and out of the woods. Beyond the battlefield, tracking their horses turns out to be a simple enough task; with the morning mists having mostly lifted, they can even spot them around the valley in the distance, the beasts having clustered together in small groups of two or three. It takes a while to collect them all, but there are no further surprises while the warrior and the archer do so.

Ever since the fey monsters appeared the previous evening, no traces remain of the light in the forest or of the arcane emissions sensed by most of the party in one way or another. Apart, perhaps, from the path so brutally ploughed through it, it appears to be a perfectly ordinary copse again.

Stormtrooper
Oct 18, 2003

Imperial Servant

Coreladdabar of Lockhaven IV

Coreladdabar concentrates at attempts to discover the answer to Taldrel's question. He also stays behind as the others to run off after the horses.

Arcana +14

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

She returns, leading half the horses in with a quizzical look on her face. "I thought you'd all be coming along. Decided it wasn't necessary after all? Unless you thought I was just trying to sneak off with Roland, but I assure you...I do not sneak." She smiles drily at the other four, then shakes her head sharply, tossing her hair about.

"Enough of that. We have horses, for whenever we wish to leave...unless something else the size of a house comes trampling out of that forest. Have any of you noticed anything odd here?"

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Taldrel Darlhunt

Taldrel shakes his head, "Been quiet since you left - and Coreladdabar and Annetta don't seem to sense whatever was here yesterday. Appears to be a perfectly normal copse." Taldrel looks around at the others.

"Well, if there's nothing keeping us here, we'd best be off," Taldrel addresses the group, "I'm assuming Roland is right behind you? Or did you leave him with his pants around his ankles?" Taldrel says with a smirk.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

"Pah," she snorts at Taldrel. "An open field in sight of the road? If you will assume I have no standards, at least leave me a measure of pride."

Laughing, she continues. "No, he should be right along. Unless he stopped to have a chat: I heard a bard once, suggested he had a way with animals, could almost speak with them...or my memory might play tricks on me again. I hear so many songs."

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2008 around 14:24

Nimlach
Jul 22, 2008


Alagnad

"Well, their trail is easy enough to follow - let's see if we can figure out where they appeared - if that's what they did. Maybe that'll give us a little more to go on."

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)


Petra M'orderial

Petra grins at the exchange between Taldrel and Landra, but he bites his tongue. "Remember, Alagand, that time is not our ally. I'll leave it to the magically inclined to decide whether we should stay to investigate, but otherwise I suggest we move on."

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

Annetta shakes her head sadly before remounting her horse. "There's nothing here that I can pick through. Maybe if I had days and some items to conduct some proper experiments, I might find out more, but as has been noted, time is something we can ill afford to waste. I say we move on, maybe we'll find something of interest or an explanation somewhere else. And with a little luck, it might not try to stab us first. I do think that if there is another attack like this one, we try and keep one of them alive to study, or ask questions of if they have the proper mouths to intellect ratio."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

While the others busy themselves with this and that, Roland sees to his mount. The saddle had been on her too long, she needed brushing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landra

She nods, as she listens to the others in turn. "But I think we can at least spare a few moments to follow their trail back into the copse where they came from, before we leave. It took less time to find our mounts than I thought it would, and we won't reach Farding before tomorrow morning whatever we do. If we get a hint of what's going on here, it's worth the extra time."

While tying up the horses she's leading and moving towards the trampled trail of trees, she glances across at Corel: he hasn't said anything, and he looks to be preoccupied by something.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.


Roland

Brushing his horse, Roland calls over. "If we are the weapon to deal with this problem, then knowledge is our ammunition and we are in short supply enough. If our arcanists feel it best to pursue this matter, I will not presume to disagree."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008
I should put something funny here.

Annetta

"Might be an idea, though who or whatever is doing this seems to be quite intent on their secrecy, so I am personally doubtful much, if anything will be found. But, worst comes to worst, we spent a few minutes and can say we tried at least."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«98 »