Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

On the one hand, the piercing screams echoing across the caverns had made her job in finding the man quite a deal easier. While she knew the general area where he was supposed to be be the specifics were lacking, and it was beginning to look like the general wasn't exactly accurate either. While she wasn't fearful of anything that would dwell here, she did have better things to do with her time than to wander around the Underdark all day when this was supposed to be a simple matter. How hard is it to stay in one drat place so you can be found, anyway?

But on the other, all that screaming might only lead to his dead body by the time she got there. Which, while a useful result for some, would greatly irritate her. It's one thing to be assigned a task and then fail it during the course of the mission, drat near everybody has experienced that. It's a part of life to learn and get better from. Plus she can say she at least tried. But to have the whole operation implode before you even bloody well get there? Well that's just plain annoying. And then she'd have to put down whomever it was that killed him, meaning a mountain of extra work to with nothing to show for it. For all involved she hoped the screaming continued until she got there.

It had been a while since she had been deep in the labyrinthian tunnels under and around Erelhei-Cinlue like this, but it never took long for feel of the gloom to come back to a Drow around their home city. In a light jog she chases after the only noise that broke through the otherwise dead silent caves, Sszzt trailing close besides her on the wall. The moderately large spider, by Drow standards anyway, had been leading the way in tracking the man prior to the screaming. But now that there was something solid to follow he was pushed out of the way to let Ilminidia take charge.

As the two get close to the screaming a cavern seems to open up ahead, with a not insignificant amount of movement to go along with it. Thankfully though the first thing seen is the man they were after, trashing about and screaming like a child. Not graceful, but all she needed was for him to still be alive. Unfortunately, there was some rather hungry looking grimlocks behind him which might want to stop her from doing that. And it goes without saying that the huge, tentacled beast would not react well to somebody taking away its meal at all.

…and the reaction the human and elven half breed might have? Probably not good, simply by the fact they were in the Underdark and didn't look like they were hired for merc work. Perhaps they were more interested in killing the grimlocks than anything to do with Drow, but she wasn't going to go out on a limb for that. And under the frantic screaming she could hear more than just two people talking, so there had to be more of them. Like perhaps a dwarf, as a diminutive figure trundled out and bright flashes came down around the huge beast. Or maybe a minotaur, one who seemed to want to save the creature the trouble of trapping him first and charged head first into the pit.

Well, good for them. Throwing themselves right into the beast's maw, very nobel to feed such a hungry monster with their own corpses. It might give her enough of distraction to go drag the more recalcitrant dinner out of danger. At least for the time being.

~
Hi everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

A rather angry sounding eladrin slides down to the beast and manages to topple it over. Tentacles wiggle around in a distressed manner, and the ones around the drow catch and wind themselves around him as they trash about. Which meant pulling him free wasn't looking quite so possible as it was before. Nothing is ever so easy, is it? "See if you can help him." She tells Sszzt in a series of chittering clacks and squeaks that send the spider skittering off towards the struggling drow. He might not be able to get him free, but having him close by was better than nothing if those grimlocks decided they hankered some drow for dinner.

With the quick in and out unviable, Ilminidia is set on an unfortunately more direct route to stopping the drow from being eaten. By killing everything trying to eat him before they got the chance. "Yes, shout at the barely sentient rock. That will get it's attention." She calls out to the eladrin as she slides down the rocky slope, the shining white sliver of a sword in her left hand contrasted by the hefty lump of crystal and white gold encrusted wood in her right. Letting her momentum take her Ilminidia holds her sword down at her side as she charges towards the monster, bring it up to slash at the body and tentacles and leaving a lingering silver glow in the wound. "And the blind ones are probably more interested in your human than your shouting. Human is their favourite flesh."

~
Move: Ilminidia S24 -> N20. On the gravel so need to roll to not fall over Roll to fall flat on my arse: 1d20+11 27
Sszzt running S25 -> K22 going diagonally from M23 to L22 then through two fatestone squares Fatestones: 1d20 17

Standard: Can't reach the punk normally so I have to charge. I think I end up in M17. Moonfire Blade is my MBA for it, with +2 from CA and +1 from the charge Charge to hit: 1d20+18+2+1 23 then damage Damage: 1d12+21 24 e: also assassin damage Extra bonus assassin death damage: 2d8 11

Notes: If the target ends its next turn adjacent to me it takes +5 radiant damage.
If the target attacks me before the start of my next turn it takes +5 radiant damage.
I gain +1 shield bonus to AC/Reflex until SONT?

Robodog fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 23, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"You had better hope they don't mind mutton every now and then." The drow calls back to the human. "I'd much rather they gnaw on your arm than take him on a silver platter." She throws a quick nod up at the struggling man, lunging for a quick slash that sunk deep into the monster's flesh.

~
Forgot assassin bonus damage but MMA let me add it :woop: Extra bonus assassin death damage: 2d8 11

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Darkness envelops her. Not the familiar darkness of her home, but some rather vile foreign darkness that she didn't care for at all. "Ugh, rotten blind animals!" She makes her feelings known audibly, no doubt saying how the others caught in it felt as well. But there must be something said for living in such darkness, as even as she stood unable to see anything she was deftly dodging danger. She takes a step to her left, fading out of the way of the huge maul that shatters the ground where she was stand and popping back in a few steps away from the block of blinding dark.

"Oh typical." She sighs upon spying the throughly beaten Landra being dragged from the dark. "Full of bluster, all loud and righteous, ready to strike down those who cross you without hesitation; and you don't even last five minutes in the Underdark." She shouts harshly, sinking a boot into the prone Eladrin. "Come on, you're more use fighting the beast that being it's dinner! Get up!" She would have kept up her kicking if there wasn't such a fight around her to steal her attention. Shouting bulls and thundering dwarfs always tend to have that effect.

Holding her weapon out to her side, it seems to attain more of a soft glow than before. This gentle silver light travels through her sword and washes over Ilminidia's body, ebbing out from her to cover a few steps surrounding her. Then she thrusts her sword deep into beast's flesh and takes to hacking large pieces out of the monster. Though her slashes look haphazard, they start to form something of a glowing sigil into the side of the roper.

Loud clicks are directed at her chitinous offsider as she hacks away. "Make sure that other one doesn't eat him!" Sszzt scuttles off to intimidate the grimlock seeking to make Drow their dinner tonight. Who Ilminidia turned her attention to next. "Cebith! Get your rear end out of the fight while you still have your legs under you!" Her heavily accented Drow Elven bellows in no uncertain terms.

~

Move: Ilminidia is going to Ethereal Sidestep shift from M17 -> L16. Sszzt is going to haul thorax from K22 -> H21 to try and cover the loose benighter.

Standard: Going to use Well of Light on the roper. To wack the big meanier VS AC: 1d20+19+2 33. Damage to big meanie: 3d12+21 34. This also activates my aura 1 of vulnerable 3 radiant EONT.

Notes: Cloak of Translocation gives me +2 item bonus to AC/Reflex until EONT.
Defiant Rod gives me +1 shield bonus to AC/Reflex until SONT.
Well of Light gives me an aura 1 EONT, while in the aura enemies have vulnerable 3 radiant to my attacks.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 4, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"Tougher? Hardly." She corrects the human as he saunters up to give the air around the roper a drat good thrashing. "I just try to not get hit in the first place."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The situation is dire. Fights falling every which way. A huge monster trying to capture one to serve as dinner. Beasts racking claws across exposed flesh. Blind foul things salivating at the thought of feasting on fresh flesh. But to the warrior's eyes the most striking thing of the situation was the stout, proud Dwarf tripping on some rocks and falling over. "Ha!" She lets out a sharp and wicked laugh, as Borok wiggles on of harms way on his pudgy belly. That might just make up for having to engage in the fight to begin with.

The bull continues to rampage, as one would expect, and charges head first into the rather demonic looking creature. Which was kinda of funny, as coincidently it was summoned and bounded demonic creatures that usually rampaged for the Drow in fights. The theory stayed the same though, and looked no less effective here. It also provided some cover for the downed Eladrin to crawl back up to her feet, providing almost as much amusement as the Dwarf had. "Had a nice nap, did we?" Ilminidia answers back the glare, mildly surprised as she follows this by disappearing entirely.

"Yes, yes. You lot just love showing that trick off, don't you?" The Drow persists, stepping out of the gloom next to Landra. But the darkness itself is quickly cast aside as the white light glows from her sword again. Though this time, seeing that the vast creature was clearly labouring, she forgoes any semblance of style or grace and just stabs the bastard of a thing. A powerful and deep drive, she gets herself elbows-deep as she cuts into the gullet of the monster. Dark, sticky ichor starts to spurt out over the ground and the Drow as the Roper falls into its death throes. But as the creature loses strength and slumps over Ilminidia is suddenly nowhere to be seen, replaced by a short burst of silvery light. "But you don't even know how to do it right." She chides from some ways away, reappearing again on the other side of the pit.

Now, she could have decided that the risk to Cebith was over and booked it. She still had the job at hand to do after this fight, after all. But with all the Grimlocks still alive and looking hungry, leaving now might only spur some to give chase. And the group she fell into the fight with was a little bit intriguing as well, certainly for the amount of magic they seemed to still freely wield. Strange bedfellows and all of that.

In accordance, a sudden blizzard breaks out in the cave. It was just a tiny portion of what a miserable, frozen elemental plane could offer but it was enough to batter two of the blind ones. Huge frozen balls of hail and jagged shards of ice pelt the pair as irresistible gusts of icy wind blow them off balance. Though they keep their feet, Ilminidia whips the maelstrom around to corral both of them in closer to the main fight. As they tumble down the gravel and fall down into the main fight, she slides down the ramp to meet them with her own blade.

~

Move: Shadow Step L16 -> K19 falling on my arse with the gravel: 1d20 3

Sszzt move: Shift H21 -> H22

Action: My second Well of Light on the roper. to hit roper: 1d20+18+2 38 and then to hurt roper: 3d12+21+4+3 41 booooosh 1 ded roper.

FREE TELEPORT 8 FOR KILLING A DOOD: K18 -> H13

AP for second attack!: Roaring Storm of Cania with blast 5s all over GB1 and GD. Roaring Storm of Cania to hit GD first then GB: 2#1d20+16 20 20 miss both of them, so half damage. Roaring Storm of Cania to hurt baddies: (2d8+18+4)/2 15

Effect: I get to slide both those guys 3 squares. Sliding GB1 to K12 and sliding GD to K13. They both also need to make acrobatic rolls to not fall over when they pass the gravel.

Tadrel bein' a bud: I'm an ally who spent an action point to attack, so I get to shift up to Tadrel's WIS or INT which means 5 squares. H13 -> J12

Notes: Cloak of Translocation gives me +2 item bonus to AC/Reflex until EONT.
Well of Light gives me an aura 1 EONT, while in the aura enemies have vulnerable 3 radiant to my attacks.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 12, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Ilminidia took particular umbrage at being snarled at by the Grimlock. Some might have been scared, others angry perhaps, but for the Drow is was an affront of that grubby worm even daring to talk to her. She doesn't let her eyes stray from the creature as the light suddenly dies, something that wasn't exactly troubling for her. She was going to make sure it knew it's rightful place was beneath her heel.

"I doubt your spirit would ever get too comfortable if you fall here." Ilminidia notes to the Dwarf as he blusters on and on. "The Queen of Spiders is not known for Her mercy." If that wasn't enough encouragement for the Dwarf to keep blood inside his body, nothing would be.

"Good boy!" Ilminidia clatters out across the cave as her pet took a chunk out of the Grimlock's leg. "Now come back, Mummy needs you." With that the critter skitters his way back towards the Drow, spotting the trouble rather quickly. He pounces the direction the Grimlock had been backing off, cutting off the room to breathe the wicked thing thought it had. "I'll be back with you in a moment." She holds up a finger and excuses herself from the spellcaster, unnervingly nonchalant about it, before drawing her sword and levelling it towards the one who ran away.

It was no doubt ready to defend itself against the Drow having run away from her. It knew she was there, and wanted blood. It stood there, thinking of how it would be able to nimbly dodge angry sword thrusts with ease. But before it came to that a funny sensation rolled across it's back. Without eyes other senses had developed to compensate but not one of them could nail down what was happening. There was no noise, no smell, no touch, nothing yet for the Grimlock there was an undeniable sensation that somebody was standing right behind it…

It was enough of a distraction for Ilminidia to charge up and and sever a good portion of the Grimlock's left arm.

~

Move: Slowly meandering to M13

Sszzt Move: Moving to I14 and getting all up in GD's face.

Minor: Summon Warlock's Ally in Q17 for flanking. And just in case MMA is a dick and insists on that counting as entering the gravel square Warlock Ally trippin' gravel: 1d20+11 16

Standard: Charging to O15 To hit the bad grimlock and keep navy alive: 1d20+18+1+2 from flanking 26. Moonfire Blade as my MBA. Hurting GB1: 1d12+21+3+4 35

Notes: If Grimlock Benighter #1 somehow dies to Lorn or Taldrel (PRO TIP KILL IT OR NAVY WILL DIE IRL) while I am next to it, I will teleport to K14 to cover GD.
If Grimlock Benighter #1 ends its next turn adjacent to me, it takes +5 radiant damage.
If Grimlock Benighter #1 attacks her before the start of her next turn, it takes +5 radiant damage.
Enemies adjacent to Sszzt can't gain CA against his allies.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"I never intended to speak ill behind your back." The Drow replies in Elvish, heavily accented though it was. "If I did I wouldn't get to see the indignant looks on your face." She smiles cordially to Landra as she splits right and attacks the Grimlock. It was a good move, one which Ilminidia was about to pursue hersel-

There is the sound of wood striking carapace, and the telltale squeal of a spider in mild pain and some discomfort skittering away. "Hey!" Ilminidia bellows at the spellcaster, staring into where eyes should be on the blind creature. She grips her sword in both hands and walks steadily towards the Grimlock, forgoing subtlety, grace, positioning, stealth, care, or any tactical advantage at all bar pure strength. The deep purple of her hands turn white around the knuckle as she strengthens her grip on her sword, pulling it back to make a fierce strike. The Grimlock could do little but watch as the Drow approached, in what seemed an easy and calm stride, and drove her sword right through its stomach.

With that single, powerful thrust the white blade was squarely planted in the Grimlock's stomach. The glowing, slivery tip of Ilminidia's sword can be seen by Landra, jutting out of the back of the beast and now covering in dripping blood and guts. Somehow though it does not lose lustre or shine, and the faint glow remains. "Don't touch my spider!" She hisses in the monster's face, before planting a solid kick in his chest to help free sword from gullet. Blood and bile spray up from the now open wound and covers what was left of the Drow's chest that had been left uncovered by roper blood, and drench her arms as well.

The silver light left behind that distracted the now dead Grimlock, the same sort of glow that came to the Drow's sword, begins to coalesce. It forms into a figure of some sort… maybe vaguely Elven? Or Eladrin? Or Drowish? It definitely had ears larger than what one would see on a Human, for sure. As it comes together into something recognisable as a person, it seems to turn towards where Ilminidia was impaling the Grimlock and watches impassively. Whatever the figure it didn't seem too enthralled by the confrontation. Having seen enough after a few moments, it takes time to look down at the ground. And the prone figure of Lorn. Bending at what might be the knee, the figure reaches out to offer the fallen priest a hand up.

~

Minor: Handmaiden to help Lorn get back to his feet.

Move: Walking suavely over from K14 -> I14.

Sszzt move: Shift to H15.

Standard: Moonfire Blade on this dumb blind wizard face. To hit dumb wizard: 1d20+18+2 40 And to show Landra how a real pointy ear does it I crit. To crit hurt dumb wizard: 12+21+3d10 51.

Notes: Defiant Rod gives me +1 shield bonus to AC/Reflex until SONT.
If Dark Caller ends its next turn adjacent to me, it takes +5 radiant damage.
If Dark Caller attacks me before the start of her next turn, it takes +5 radiant damage.
Enemies adjacent to Sszzt can't gain CA against his allies.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The hulk dies and the day is saved, horray for the cave diving heroes. But as much as Ilminidia wanted to stay and chat, she still had a job to do and killing the Grimlocks was only half of it. Cebith had already managed to run into one group of nasties, who knows what he might run into if left to his own devices again. And if he wanted to run off and get himself killed he could do it after she was finished with him. As the huge beast hacks it's last breath and falls over, the Drow disappears from sight. The eerie figure of glowing silvers and whites fades just as sudden as it had appeared. The large spider scuttles away as well, though trailing behind as it lacked the teleportation ability of his mummy.

~

Hulk is dead, so I will use my blackleaf gloves encounter power to add an extra +3 onto my soul step for a total of teleport 11. Going M15 -> V26. Minor to dismiss the warlock ally summon, Sszzt moves to follow and he can get to about N23 with a run. Normal move for Illminidia and she is off map, going to make sure Cebith is A-OK.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

She didn't need to go far to find him, thankfully. It did mean that she had to stay around that ragtag band of adventurers, but that also meant that he probably wouldn't be killed killed soon either. The trade-off was probably worth it.

"Underdark treating you well, I see." Ilminidia tells him in Elven, observing the ragged state of the man. "But, considering it is your wife with the martial skill, you certainly could have done a lot worse for yourself." She concedes in a fashion that lets her sympathy with Cebith's situation be known. Sszzt finally catches up with his Mummy, earning him a kiss on the pedipalps. "Good boy." She gives him a few scritiches as well, much to the spider's approval, allowing Cebith to circle around them and back towards the pit. She gives him some room before she follows.

"If I had been sent by the Matriarch I wouldn't have rescued you from being killed by those Grimlocks, would I?" She matches eyes with the man before following behind him. She wipes her silver sword clean on her blood and gore drenched clothes, letting the soft glow shine through again before putting it away. "It's Alauniira she wants to make a show of, not you." It was really only on principle that he was in danger in the first place, the method wasn't really important so long as 'out of the picture' was the result.

The non-sequitur took her a little by surprise. She does spot what he might have been talking about, mumbling about mushrooms as he was, but that wasn't what got her attention from the mumbling. Get back to her. "Where's your little one, Cebith?" She asks, looking back from the mushrooms to Cebith. "Where's Shali?"

~
All in drowy elvish fyi. Diplomacy on Drow: 1d20+18 32

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Focusing on Cebith and her actual work here, she pays the half-elf only a portion of her attention. "Well done keeping the ancient Dwarf from rejoining the dirt." Ilminidia commends Taldrel with less than full sincerity, speaking in the common tongue. "If you are planning to get any closer to Erelhei-Cinlue, take this to heart." She actually turns his head to the man and tells him, dark eyes boring into him. "Drow. Not Elf." She doesn't seem particularly aggravated herself, but she seems serious about the correction. "Guard Captain?" She raises an eyebrow. "So Niemund has extended the city borders to reach all the way to Erelhei-Cinlue, have they?"

Robodog fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 30, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"I'm sure your friend there can enlighten you on the difference should you need it." Ilminidia nods towards the Eladrin swordwoman with an impish smile, spotting her reaction to it. "An unhinged wizard, you say? Chased all the way into the Underdark?" She repeats, sounding mildly disinterested. "He must have done something quite extraordinary for you to not leave him to the Matriarch's guard to slaughter."

"Any aid I rendered upon you was completely unintentional, I assure you." She talks down to the Dwarf, being so short. She internally ruminates for a moment or two on the old man's request. "Ilminidia." She slowly comes to, reaching down to pat the spider at her side. "Sszzt."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

He looks up at the short, thick, bearded, ancient creature in front of him just days away from death. "Good eating on one of those." Sszzt hisses and clacks, only Ilminidia understanding him. And chuckling.

"Thanks which I shall treasure always." She enthuses in a way that makes her fakery clear. "Stormspeaker?" She asks. "I'd be careful with that if you plan to enter the city. The Spider Queen doesn't well like praise being given to others." Hearing what this wizard has done, she laughs. "If that's the case then the houses might be trying to buy his services!"

Ilminidia turns back to Cebith, not wanting him to manage to run off again. "Close is a relative term in the Underdark." She tells the Dwarf. "The direct route is often only faster in seeing you to your deaths. But there are paths that lead to the city, yes. But why should I aid you?" She asks of the Dwarf pointedly.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"Calderos Flowing-Rock of the mountains. My people would only be interested in forging relations with your people if the slave pens of Erelhei-Cinlue were particularly empty, I am sorry to say." She kindly informs the bull, her words surprisingly bereft of mockery to the keen observer.

"What? Him?" Ilminidia looks to Cebith, still making sure to stay close by him. "In the guard? Clearly you haven't dealt very much with Drow." She shakes her head with a small chuckle. "I would say, in fact, that to have come this far into the Underdark, this close to Erelhei-Cinlue, without already having a grasp on the situation would mean you are beyond help." She suggests. "So what of the situation exactly do you wish of me?"

"No no." She corrects, stepping out of the way of the exhaled breath. "Were my aim to fight them them all then yes, I would have been in a great deal of trouble were it not for the intervention of you and yours. But to simply rescue him and make off again? Hardly a bother." Truth or bluster, none can discern.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow does not look terribly impressed by Lorn's levity. Not one bit. "While the creatures that dwell here may be a terrible novelty for you, Human, they are simply a fact of life for those of us who live here. And, in fact, you should thank the Spider Queen that your aimless wandering had you stumble only upon some blind and hungry beasts. There are far from the worst things that dwell in the darkness." The caution was no doubt heard by the group, but it was pointed at Lorn.

"A woman doesn't come to be my age unless she is skilled-" Ilminidia seems to suddenly disappear from view. "-and well versed in many tricks to keep herself alive." The words come from directly behind Lorn, but before a solid gaze can be levelled at her she is gone again. "I would have been spirited him away and to safety, were the fight not foisted upon us." She makes a point of to Lorn, back where she started from. "And, if you care to see, none of this blood is mine." The Drow gestures to herself, with something of a smile. She declines the drink.

"A guide?" She asks of Lorn. "To take you to the city safely?" She turns it to Taldrel. "I don't just stroll about the Underdark looking for unfortunates in need of help, you know. I have my own work to do here," Slight gesture to the other Drow. "And it is not something I can just drop."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

For all it mattered to Ilminidia, Cebith could think she was constantly moments away from stabbing him in the back. So long as he went along with what she needed.

"No matter how safe it is, it's won't be wise to delay returning to her." She tells him, disregarding his attempt to keep distance from her and Sszzt and trailing him. "Sick?" She repeats, concern in her voice as well. Though not nearly as distressed as Cebith was for his child. "Sick how? Venom? Poison? Injury? Infection?" Mushrooms and alchemy were two things that hadn't ever snagged her interest, so she could only hope he know better. "Calm down, Cebith. A panicked Drow helps no one and your little one needs you to be strong. I'm here to aid you, Shali will pull through." She does her best to assure him, though full-well knows her words would mean little. "And Alauniira hasn't been thrown to the grand arena just quite yet."

"This is the situation you know so little about." She follows Cebith's limited Common with her own accented version, not sounding that happy. "But the political movements are irrelevant for now, his little one is sick and needs help." She looks to the Half-Elf. "You kept the Dwarf from death, yes? So you can heal?" She looks beyond him to the rest of the group. "Are any of you healers?" The Drow sighs. "If you need a to guide to Erelhei-Cinlue then I can take you," She relents, bargaining for what she needed. "But I need to see to the safety of him and his child before anything else."

Spotting the eladrin stoop down among the dead brings a small smile back to her face. "If you really want to profit from the dead," She calls to the eladrin as she groped around the fallen corpses. "Cut open the roper's belly."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"The Human and Dwarf are healers. They'll help Shali." She helps Cebith with the Common, just to expedite matters. "They need me to get them to the city, they won't get unless they help." It might help him agree to it. Might. "Human says they look poisonous too, for what that's worth from him." She says of the mushrooms, ending with a shrug.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"She may have contracted something while you were on the run, we all know it's not just the slavering beasts out here that are deadly. And knowing her mother is marked for death probably isn't helping any." Ilminidia guesses. While a Drow's life is rife in death, poison, backstabbing and intrigue, children were usually spared from the full force of it until they came of age. Not exactly a huge feat of skill and power to murder a child, is it? "Or, poison. Though the best sorts of poisons don't actually look like they're acting like a poison. Or are made to purposefully show you are poisoned if you need to make a point about it. And with the Matriarch's ire it could be either, or anything in between." She shrugs, realising that it didn't actually help narrow anything down.

To be fair, Ilminidia didn't trust the surfacers. I mean, jumping down into the Underdark chasing some crazed mage, and leaping into fights that weren't theirs? Clearly they were all mad. But the situation dictated what she needed to do, in spite of this. The Drow nods, waves for the others to come with, and walks after Cebith. Sszzt falls besides his mistress, clambering up the walls and following.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 7, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Clearly Cebith hadn't spent much time out of Erelhei-Cinlue. A wise move all considered, but it was obviously showing now to his detriment. Ilminidia sighs loud and annoyed on the more than one occasion Cebith needed to stop and get his bearings. Good thing she found him if this was how things were three days into living rough.

Though credit where credit is due, the hiding place was a fine on indeed. "Out of the way, tiny entrance, no way anything could slither in there easily. Good eye." She commends, as she followed Cebith inside. Unfortunetly there wasn't much to be said about the interior decorating. It was largely rocks, more rocks, the overstuffed rucksack that probably belonged to Alauniira in some fashion. And bloody vomit around where Shali lay in obvious pain, heartbeat weak and skin going cold to the touch. Poor child.

"drat it all!" She curses under her breath, barking something guttural to Sszzt that caused the spider to ever so quickly evacuate the hideout. Ilminidia squeezes out behind him, staring daggers at the surfacers. "She dies and the only place you'll be led is the Drop." She hisses at them, specifically Borok and the Human. "Help her." The Drow grabs Lorn and the Dwarf and shoves them both towards the small hole that was the entrance. Ever so helpful, she even aided the more rotund Dwarf to squeeze his frame into the hideout before going in herself. With the two fatter healers it was a bit tight, but Ilminidia wasn't going to leave them alone with Cebith or the little one. Sszzt stood watch outside, perched on the wall above the entrance.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

And poison. Obvious, deadly poison. "Looks like you hadn't made a clear escape from the Matriarch after all." She mutters to herself, looking down at the child as the Dwarf looked her over. Cebith's common tongue seeming lacking even while he was moderately calm, Ilminidia translates the Dwarf's words for the Drow. She adds her own embellishments in places, but all the information Borok said was translated across. "That is all you can do?" She puts to the pair of surfacers. "To remove this death sentence and replace it with the ire of Lolth is only delaying the inevitable until she steps foot back in the city."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

If the rituals succeded then the little one would be alive and touched by Kord. All things considered, staying as far away from the city was a sage suggestion. Ilminidia nods to the father, seeing it a wise move. "Alauniira was part of the rebellion, she did not tell you of safeguarded boltholes outside of the city walls?" She puts to him. Though she may not have cared for the man particularly, the child deserved more than this. For her at least she would try to help them. But first the matter a hand, keeping them alive.

"The Matriarch was making moves to kill you both already." She surmises the look on Cebith's face. "How did you manage to escape unscathed while you wife and daughter did not?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"At least she trusted you with it. Many wouldn't." It painted a picture of a close and friendly family unit, which was not exactly the universal thing in Drow society. "The image of being all seeing is just as effective as the real thing. It wasn't as if you gave her allegiance up. It was the Matron Mother Ilmirinza who threw her to the Matriarch, after all." Though the minutia of what happened might not be terribly helpful with the result still being what it was. "Good. Keep to your instincts when knowledge fails you." She tells him. "Perhaps indeed. Though irrespective of Alauniira, the Matriarch wants you both dead and that is reason enough for many to want you to stay alive."

"I ask why the child was poisoned and the adult was left to spirit her away." She clarifies with a slightly stern tone. To be fair Cebith was also probably right to an extent. "A hard life is better than a swift death, for both you and the little one. But yes, I suppose with Alauniira captured her male and child were not thought of as dangerous or troublesome targets. If that is the case it will come back to bite them." She says with a quiet confidence in her voice. "Was going poorly. Now that I am here this will not continue."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The severe expressions stays on the Drow's face. "They may have expected you to be there with her, and you being late by a few steps threw out their coordination somewhat." She supposes. "Whatever the cause I doubt they missed you by accident or overlooked you. You were still trusted and held dear by Alauniira, reason enough to take you down with her." It would just be plain sloppy otherwise. "Perhaps it was because you saw a squad of Xaniqos soldier coming to take your wife. But your survival, as pressed as it is, should be commended. Many would not have made it even as far as you did. Providing the fat Dwarf can heal the little one." The reserved gratitude would have been tearful hugging in surfacer parlance. "I know how your plight feels and I accepted the task, nothing more."

"Does it matter who I am? Would a stranger's name really settle your nerves any? I am here to see that you and Shali stay alive, doing so for those Alauniira supports. And I wish to see the Matriarch suffer as she falls from power and dies." It occurs to her for just a moment that she may be a little hard on the distressed man. His health didn't need it. "Ilminidia." She gives up somewhat reluctantly.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Cebith seemed to turn his attention to the ritual as it went on. Hearing her name from outside the hide away, the Drow shifts her way over to the opening. "The best laid schemes of spider and Drow go often awry, and leave us nothing but grief and pain for promised joy." She tells the Elf.

Blüff: 1d20+18 26

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Her piece said to the Elf and the Bull, the Drow retreats back inside once she hears the Dwarf begin to make a noise like he was gargling tar. She watches his work with interest, not having seen such a ritual performed before. It goes to the fact that Lolth was not at her fullest, letting the power of another God be summoned while in Her domain. The results cannot be argued with though, as a thick toxic goo is violently expelled from the child. "And this poison isn't one used lightly." She opines to the old man, looking at the black stuff as it bubbled on the floor.

Shali looked… not better, really, but far more alive than she was before. It appeared the Dwarf had managed to save her life. "Can you talk?" She asks the little one in a softer tone.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Eyes opening and the young one looking around at the group, she lived. Now with both Cebith and Shali pretty well alive, she had succeeded in the first part of her job. Now it was just a matter of seeing them stay safe, which was a whole different problem to be faced with. The girl didn't seem to be able to talk yet, but she could listen just fine.

The Drow gets down on a knee to look at Shali straight on. "You were poisoned." Ilminidia tells the little one rather bluntly, not mincing her words. "It seems that your duelling teacher had more on her mind than just instructing your swordplay. Your wound festered with a poison that few survive. And were it not for the Dwarf and his God Kord you would be dead." She nods over to the Dwarf, perhaps in a move to help the child get that they weren't here to kill her. "Your eyes have changed along with it. Is your sight weaker?" Anything that couldn't be answered by a nod or a shake of the head was out, so she had to limit her inquiries.

She casts a quick eye over at Cebith. "Strange. But he still saved your daughter's life. I wouldn't question what he chooses to mark her with. Lolth wouldn't have been so kind as to leave with just your little one's eyes changed." She tells Cebith, strangely agreeing with the Elf's sentiment. Speaking of… "Yes." She gives her a big, broad smile. "I just wanted to make sure they were alive and well before I hauled them back to Erelhei-Cinlue to get executed." She drops the smile in favour of a much more natural expression of mild scorn. "Idiot."

I just wanted to make fun with that saying! You meanie! Down with MMA! Raah raah raah!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow woman crosses her arms and leans against the rock wall as the uppity Elf pontificates about this than and the other. Good thing she waited until after the child was cured, because if it was before she surely would have died waiting for her to finish talking. And from Ilminidia's scornful look, once Landra had finished, a smile breaks out. "Heh." She chuckles to herself, pointing at Landra. "If only more Elves were like you. You're fun."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Ilminidia turns her smile onto Taldrel. "Keep your weapon at your side, half breed." She half-heartedly tries to assuages his frustration. "The Dwarf saw to the little one, and I'll see you all to Erelhei-Cinlue." She turns her looks back to the Elf. "Though I would advise that you stay clear of the duelling rings. Elves have a truly dreadful record in them." Her smile and possible good cheer, it being difficult to tell on Drow for surfacers, lessens somewhat as Taldrel continues talking. "The girl has just come closer to death than you ever have." She informs in a very certain manner. "She'll get the time she needs."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"I believe that's the highest compliment a Drow can expect from your kind." Ilminidia nods slightly to Landra with that smile again. "It shall be a delight running you through."

But she wasn't there to spar with Elves, the girl needed her attention as well. The girl seemed to have a remarkably level head on her shoulders for her age, which would only be a good thing considering how worked up Cebith had been. "Good." She says bluntly, continuing to look into her eyes. "They look different though, like they're cloudy. It may be difficult to cover up should anybody be looking." When she demands answers off of the Dwarf she leaves her to it. She had a right to know, after all. So Ilminidia turns to talk to the father.

"These are strange times, either you adapt or you die." Ilminidia directs at Cebith, not even attempting to defend his comment of her. He didn't have a choice about it anyway. "Those forced or exiled from the city support the resistance, I'm taking you further into the Deeps to meet with one of their camps." She nods vaguely out the entrance to the small hidey hole. "You will be safe there for the interim."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow crosses her arms as the Dwarf talks about that which he did not know. "The Spider Queen will fault whomever she likes for whatever she likes. An untold number have died a most awful death for much less than living the virtues of another god in Her presence."

If the girl don't know common well enough to follow Old Dorf rambling then I'll translate.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"Don't listen to him Sszzt, he doesn't know what he's blathering about." Ilminidia hisses and clacks out to her arachnid pal, who was no doubt deeply offended by the quite frankly racist remarks.

"I think you'll find that the young ones get much more enthusiastic about theology when murder is not only encouraged by Her, but wantonly practised as well." She dutifully informs the old man. Perhaps his thunder god could start causing cave-ins or something. "If I promise to run you through if you continue discussing my faith, will you cease?" She sighs.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Well the girl seemed alive, well enough to stand, and had her faculties and tongue about her. A remarkable recovery from certain death if Ilminidia had ever seen one. And from a God who was lost to the world, too. It was truly remarkable.

"Alauniira aligned her goals with theirs, they don't wish you any harm. Be thankful you have anything remotely close to a safe port considering your circumstances." She pretty well tells Cebith. She wasn't going to change her plans, so it was good he accepted the inevitability of the situation. The little one seemed less keen on following the ideas. But of course she gave her father no care, who'd ever listen to a man? Shali certainly seemed to have been given the best Drow tutelage available.

She sighs, and follows the others out of the hidey-hole. There was little to be packed and carried out, so she offered no help in it. Outside, she elicits a series of hisses that summons her spider to her side once again. Another short, sharp hiss and Sszzt scuttles over Shali's side while Ilmindia moves to cover both the little one and her father. Nobody was going to get close to them on her watch. "Shali." She calls to her after observing her stance for a few moments. "Who taught you swordplay?" She asks, also noticing that she was far from steady on her feet. Slowing down to accommodate would be nothing but a risk, and Ilmindia had already seen her plans dashed more times than she cared for this day.

After she had addressed the Minotaur and gotten an answer, or gotten whatever the hulking monster had to offer, Ilminidia looks the tall girl in the eyes to take her attention. This was women's work. "I remember being a stubborn little girl who didn't know what was good for her. I also remember learning the hard way that pride does not equal savoir-faire. Being conceited does not give you the intelligence, strength, or ability you need to survive. Now, I am in charge of your life and safety whether you like it or not. You will be carried so you will not slow our pace down any, or I will beat you unconscious and have the bull haul you along. I am happy to oblige either choice." To those who didn't understand the language the cold, even intonation still carried a measure of menace.

Intimidte hte kid: 1d20+18 25

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow looks up at Calderos. "The arena." She sighs at him. "The Great Spider is Erelhei-Cinlu's arena."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

It was a good thing that endearing herself to the little one wasn't strictly required, because Shali looked a little like she wanted to kill Ilminidia. But she did do as she was told, letting her father pick her up, so in the end it didn't really matter. The bigger potential problem was that her father wouldn't be able to keep up carrying the little one, but he refused help on the mater so she left him to it.

A swordsman from House Aleval? House of politicians and diplomats? And a man? Hardly what Ilminidia would have guessed, herself. "I am hardly a master duellist, he may well be." Ilminidia concedes to Shali, taking one side of her and Cebith while Sszzt took the other. "But I can fight with more than just my sword." She was hardly boastful or defiant as Shali was, indeed having to match it with a child would say more about her than anything else. What got her mind was the fact she seemed fond of her teacher, even after being poisoned by him. That was a folly Ilminidia was unfortunately familiar with, right down to the near death experience.

"Come on." She bluntly throws to the rest. "We need to move." She orders them, heading off towards the camp.

Streetwise to know Demon Slayer: 1d20+16 26

Streetwise to know Drizzt: 1d20+16 31

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

The Drow woman just shakes her head and chuckles knowingly to herself.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"Just because you're jealous for not having a glow doesn't mean there isn't a glow." Ilminidia smiles, gently joining in the chiding of the eldarin. Which largely constituted all she has ever said to her thus far. "Outright slaying a pupil in class is terribly bad form, as well. One must show decorum." Ilminidia opines, though she doubt that ones so unfamiliar with the ways of the Drow would really get it. "But if anybody could manage a counter-blade it'd be a Shadowstep." She snarks off to Cebith with a smile.

"Bjorxus." Illminidia corrects the young one, her tongue well used to dealing harsh and inhuman sounds. "Harsher from the throat, like House Xaniqos." In another life she could have been a teacher of peerless renown, but alas. "Of course they kill each other. Clans, tribes, families, Houses. Drow, human, dwarf, bull. They all turn on one another when the time comes." Ms. Claddrret, taking History of the Surface and Beginner Brutal Dismemberment.

"Oh, you shouldn't have said that." Ilminidia tsks and tuts, nodding her head Landra's way. "Now she's going to positively turn green with envy." She chuckles, holding a hand up in front of her face and studying it. No blue glow. She shrugs as Shali vents her frustration in Drow. "If the only side effect of coming back from the dead is seeing some people glow I wouldn't complain too much, little one." She advises.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"Well then." The drow responds simply to the Dwarf's sudden realisation, turning her attention to Shali again. "You should try and avoid Lolth's Temples then, little one. If just us glowing annoys, having a temple full of priestesses lit up like the surface will no doubt infuriate you to no end." She smiles in a calm and collected way. "Obvious. The little one has been chosen by your thunder god to be his Messiah."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"I believe it is the case with your gods that even if he wanted to tell you why, he couldn't."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

Guiding the group expertly through the caverns, Ilminidia is rather laid back. She is certainly not on edge and worried about some abyssal beast leaping out of nowhere. Nothing like a brisk walk through the Underdark to get the blood pumping!

"Aren't I?" She asks the little one, ridiculed with faux-dissapointment. "Well, isn't that a shame."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Ilminidia

"Nope." Ilminidia casually dismisses Taldrel's philosophising. with one careless wave of her hand. "It's still a mystery. While your gods are all in absentia, Lolth still rules over the city."