Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hulu (and WWE) are now available on the Bolt.

Looks like Hulu also has the ability to output 24fps like Amazon and Netflix which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Got an offer from TiVo for $700 for a 500GB Bolt w/ lifetime service. $800 for 1TB. Thinking of pulling the trigger. My TiVo HD w/ an expanded 2TB drive is still quite servicable, except for the PSU dying a few months ago. Bought a donor TiVo on eBay to cannibalize that part.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

complex posted:

Got an offer from TiVo for $700 for a 500GB Bolt w/ lifetime service. $800 for 1TB. Thinking of pulling the trigger. My TiVo HD w/ an expanded 2TB drive is still quite servicable, except for the PSU dying a few months ago. Bought a donor TiVo on eBay to cannibalize that part.

I'm not great at math but my estimate is that if you are willing/able to keep your Tivo for more than 4 years, that's a good deal. Otherwise not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rick posted:

I'm not great at math but my estimate is that if you are willing/able to keep your Tivo for more than 4 years, that's a good deal. Otherwise not.
Correct. A (500GB) Bolt regularly costs $300 and comes with one year of service. Service costs $150/yr or $599 for lifetime.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Rick posted:

I would not count on a TiVo lasting for 4 years, almost every one I have had has barely made it two. Last time I called to cancel service after my 3rd, seriously, 3rd Roamio died (Granted one was DOA and the other lasted a day) I said I would keep service but only if they gave me a free replacement, that I wasn't paying even the $50 they offered to sell me one for.

They gave me a free one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've only ever had an HD die, and it came to me with problems. I've had every generation except the bolt and they've retired gracefully, although I did just have to put a new fan on our 4 tuner premier.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I would imagine most tivo failures are hard drives which are easy to replace.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For those of you into MoCa, it looks like 2.0 hardware is becoming available. I had three Moca 1.x adapters, and one of them died, pretty much screwing my home network. I was able to get 3 ActionTec Bonded MoCa 2.0 adapters and they are seriously 10x faster than the old stuff.
I have two premieres using wired Ethernet over these (along with a whole mess of other connected devices and wifi routers and oh god) and browsing the other TiVo and streaming stuff has zero lag, it's perfect. With 1.x there was a little lag.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've been wondering if it was ever coming out!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was reading the CNET review of the Bolt and they say that 4k is streaming only. Not, a super big deal since there isn't really any other 4k content that I'm aware of at the moment but if by some miracle the networks start producing 4k content and Cox starts showing it, would the Tivo support it?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

I was reading the CNET review of the Bolt and they say that 4k is streaming only. Not, a super big deal since there isn't really any other 4k content that I'm aware of at the moment but if by some miracle the networks start producing 4k content and Cox starts showing it, would the Tivo support it?

Should be able to, just feed the decoder mpeg packets from RF rather than IP. The CPU in the bolt isn't horribly underpowered for once.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I swear that I was once able to change the order of the video providers on the "Find TV, Movies, & Videos" menu on my Roamio, but I can't find it now. I have found where you hide providers, but I can't reorder them. Am I not remembering correctly?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My 2.5 year old roamio seems to be acting up. I just have a black image. Only way to recover is to unplug and reboot. It has a 3tb hard drive i put in it. If i get a replacement roamio, and swap in the same 3tn drive, will the dvr content be erased?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That's happened to me on occasion with a one year old roamio. After a reboot it's fine for 2-5months, and haven't seen it yet since the latest software update. I've also got a self added 3tb drive.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

My 2.5 year old roamio seems to be acting up. I just have a black image. Only way to recover is to unplug and reboot. It has a 3tb hard drive i put in it. If i get a replacement roamio, and swap in the same 3tn drive, will the dvr content be erased?

Yes, the encryption key will be different. Only way to save them would be to buy a new 3t drive and have both roamios active for a month and use the built in transfer ability to copy them over the network.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Qwijib0 posted:

Yes, the encryption key will be different. Only way to save them would be to buy a new 3t drive and have both roamios active for a month and use the built in transfer ability to copy them over the network.

Good to know. Ill just use kmmtg and pull everything to a Hard drive.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Are the older models (I think I have the premiere that came out right before the Roamio) getting a software update to enable commercial skipping or is that a Bolt hardware only thing?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

beergod posted:

Are the older models (I think I have the premiere that came out right before the Roamio) getting a software update to enable commercial skipping or is that a Bolt hardware only thing?

Premieres aren't getting commercial skipping, or quick mode, I don't think. Bolt has both, and Roamios have Quick everywhere, but Skip only in certain markets.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Is the general consensus that TiVo downloading to iOS just garbage? It was the main reason I just got a Roamio Pro and I can't download anything to the iPad without getting errors every 5 seconds. Tried rebooting everything including the Roamio, the router, the iPad, etc multiple times. Roamio is on gigabit ethernet directly to a wireless AC router to an iPad Air 2 that is sitting next to the router and plugged in/unlocked.

I think the software methods behind the streaming/downloading are just awful.

TiVo support forums show lots of people complaining about it but no solutions that worked for me. I'm sure tech support will be a waste of time.

I do have a warranty so I'm debating getting a swap. It almost seems like the integrated stream unit just craps itself and reboots almost immediately. Hard to tell. From what I can gather it is a seperate board inside the roamio pro that has to be rebooted seperately from the main roamio board.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 12, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I never download, but I do stream to my phone whilst at home to watch some of the less interesting games and I have to say I've noticed the performance get better over time. It used to crash if I tried to buzz all the way through a commercial break, which it doesn't anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've downloaded multiple videos and movies for offline viewing without a problem. This is using an iPhone 6 and Roamio Plus.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Hmm interesting, maybe I do have a bad unit.

On the plus side, holy hell is kmttg awesome. The windfall of looking into kmttg totally makes this TiVo hassle worth it. Trying out comskip too which looks cool. I think running kmttg on a server and using the Infuse app on the iPad may just be the way to go.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the story on the Bolt? My wife and I have folded and gone back to cable, and I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2010 vintage two tuner Premiere. It's lifetimed, though, so it's going to have to be quite a bit of value to sway me.

The main thing is I'm looking at buying a Stream, and I'm not sure if it's worth dropping $130 on the Stream versus just opting for the Bolt.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I picked up a used stream on eBay for $70, so you might check that out.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Did they just do an entire redesign of their guide/everything else or do I have some bizarre bug? I hard reset it and etc.But the guide is like transparent blue now and looks like it is in SD. The List also takes up the whole screen and doesn't divide shows into folders anymore (they're listed by episode).

If this was intentional, I don't think it was a solid decision. Can anyone assist?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My Roamio and Mini UI look exactly the same as they have for months.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

beergod posted:

Did they just do an entire redesign of their guide/everything else or do I have some bizarre bug? I hard reset it and etc.But the guide is like transparent blue now and looks like it is in SD. The List also takes up the whole screen and doesn't divide shows into folders anymore (they're listed by episode).

If this was intentional, I don't think it was a solid decision. Can anyone assist?

My Premiere XL4 (or whatever it's called) reset to the SD menus after an update, I think the update that added the channel logos to the guide. So maybe check to see if that happened to you?

Does anyone know if there's a point to that "add an app" thing that brings up a window to enter an i.p. address? I googled but I haven't been able to find any use for it, but it's still present in the latest software update and also on my dad's Roamio and we can't figure out what we're supposed to do with it.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Ev posted:

My Premiere XL4 (or whatever it's called) reset to the SD menus after an update, I think the update that added the channel logos to the guide. So maybe check to see if that happened to you?

Does anyone know if there's a point to that "add an app" thing that brings up a window to enter an i.p. address? I googled but I haven't been able to find any use for it, but it's still present in the latest software update and also on my dad's Roamio and we can't figure out what we're supposed to do with it.

That fixed it. Thanks so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HBO Go was added to my Bolt today.

Full DD+ and 24p support.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For info, it's on the Roamio too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

It's a little amazing to me that as TiVo has become almost a dream cord cutting device they added HBO Go but not HBO Now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TiVo's users are still very much primarily cable subscribers. Most cord cutters would rather subscribe to Hulu and get most of what they would otherwise record OTA.

HBO Go was the better choice simply because TiVo users are giving up OnDemand when they go TiVo over their cable company's boxes. Because of that TiVo should be prioritizing adding individual network apps on to their devices to plug that hole.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

TiVo users are giving up OnDemand when they go TiVo over their cable company's boxes.

Both cox and comcast have ondemand apps for TiVo now. cox's is mostly worthless though since they disable skip and ffwd.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

TiVo's users are still very much primarily cable subscribers. Most cord cutters would rather subscribe to Hulu and get most of what they would otherwise record OTA.

Ehhh, I can't speak to the actual demographics but as a subscriber to Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Now using such services with the TiVo all integrated into one place with a good remote with OTA recording is a dream. Local news, a never-ending amount of syndicated shows, I was honestly shocked when I disconnected cable how digital subchannels had blossomed, YouTube (Including Play movies and TV shows through YouTube), TiVo is now a monster device for a cord cutter like myself.

If TiVo managed to get a CBSN app (Should be relatively simple) and Sling TV app (Much more complicated) I would say it would be a no brainer instead of cable for most users in major media markets. And how does CBSN not have at least a secret Opera app for TiVo? Is there one?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing the FCC unlocking cable boxes would be a good thing for TiVo?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For info, it's on the Roamio too.

It's on my Premiere too. That was a nice surprise this morning.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Supposedly skip mode should be on all Roamios by 2/24. I'm visiting my parents' and it had mysteriously appeared on theirs, so I delved into the TiVo community forum and that's what they're saying In there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm finally fed up with my antediluvian Series 3 and looking to replace it, but I'm confused by Tivo's current product line. The Roamio Pro is way more DVR than I need but the Bolt seems to have a lot of extraneous features (all I want it to do is record digital cable) and I hate the curved case. Other online stores have a listing for a much cheaper non-Pro Roamio but it's nowhere on the official site, was this discontinued or something? What subtle things would I give up by getting one based on the last-generation architecture?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I'm finally fed up with my antediluvian Series 3 and looking to replace it, but I'm confused by Tivo's current product line. The Roamio Pro is way more DVR than I need but the Bolt seems to have a lot of extraneous features (all I want it to do is record digital cable) and I hate the curved case. Other online stores have a listing for a much cheaper non-Pro Roamio but it's nowhere on the official site, was this discontinued or something? What subtle things would I give up by getting one based on the last-generation architecture?

The non-pro Roamio has 4 tuners instead of 6 and half the storage space. I think it's otherwise the same.

Not sure if TiVo is still selling it. When I bought mine last summer all were available, but they may have axed it in favor of the Bolt.

EDIT: yeah, like he said. It has streaming built in too. Which worked fantastic for me until I joined the iOS beta program and now my devices look sketchy AF to TiVo and shows won't transfer.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pro also has TiVo Stream built-in but reviews seem very mixed if it is worth a drat.

• Locked thread