Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm definitely not getting the Pro, just trying to decide between the Bolt and the midrange Roamio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah I'm really annoyed that the iOS beta is tripping their jailbreak detection.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Unless the only thing important to you was hard drive space I'd go with Bolt.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Thinking about upgrading my Premiere to a Bolt, but I rather like being on some ancient rate plan that's "only" 12.95 a month. Is it possible to get the new hardware yet keep the older monthly payment?

(Yes I know I should get Lifetime but I can't really spare $800 or whatever it would cost with the Bolt.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

HBO Go was added to my Bolt today.

Full DD+ and 24p support.

Does the Roamio OTA do Netflix at 24p?

I never use my TiVo for Netflix (or any apps, that's what my ATV is for), but I might start if it gives true 24p playback.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Oh, Skip Mode appeared on my Roamio today, drat it is great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Thinking about upgrading my Premiere to a Bolt, but I rather like being on some ancient rate plan that's "only" 12.95 a month. Is it possible to get the new hardware yet keep the older monthly payment?

(Yes I know I should get Lifetime but I can't really spare $800 or whatever it would cost with the Bolt.)

When I went from a series3 to a roamio, they let me keep my $12 month to month plan. The agent put up the tiniest struggle then let me do it. Worth a call.

Three Olives posted:

Oh, Skip Mode appeared on my Roamio today, drat it is great.

yeah it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does the Roamio OTA do Netflix at 24p?

I never use my TiVo for Netflix (or any apps, that's what my ATV is for), but I might start if it gives true 24p playback.

No idea, but I know the Bolt does on Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, and now HBO Go.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
HBO go supports dtv Puerto Rico but not US

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have the keyboard slider remote? I don't really need a keyboard, but I really want backlit buttons.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Just got skip mode on my base Romiao. It's pretty sweet.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Is anyone having trouble with the built in Netflix app regarding buffering? My Roamio Plus can't stream any episode or movie on Netflix without rebuffering constantly and with quality degredation. It doesn't seem to matter what episode or movie (trying to rule out CDNs) and no matter what time of the day.

What is odd about the Netflix rebuffering is my Apple TV (3rd gen) has zero issues with Netflix and plays @ 1080 all day long.

I am starting to wonder if the Roamio CPU isn't enough to handle the streaming apps. Would a Bolt be better?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have a roamio plus and do not have that problem. What's your local network connection on the ATV and the roamio?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dogen posted:

I have a roamio plus and do not have that problem. What's your local network connection on the ATV and the roamio?

Hmm. Odd. It used to work but a few updates ago it started losing the ability to continuously stream.

Both the Apple TV and TiVo are on hardwired connection. Even my wireless connection devices work fine. I blamed COX cable for a bit then realized Roamio is the only device having an issue.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I have the same basic problems with my Premiere, both for Netflix and WWE Network. I was assuming it was the CPU, since the Premiere is six or seven years old, but I would hope the Roamio would be better. :ohdear:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I was going to say if it was wireless maybe that's the problem, but if they're like on the same wired network (especially if on the same switch or something) then I have no idea. Mine is on moca and is fine. I also have a roamio plus. I also have an old premiere 4 upstairs but I use the roku 3 up there for streaming.

Hulu app loving sucks though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I wish TiVo had skip mode on the nightly news

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/29/rovi-acquires-tivo-in-1-1-billion-deal-tivo-will-be-the-new-company-name/

TiVo completes its final transformation into a patent holding company, by being acquired by another one.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
oh boy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Now that the Roamio OTA is $399 with lifetime service, it's not worth considering a Channel Master DVR+, right?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Has anyone ever experienced a tivo mini suddenly not having the Netflix app show up? A reboot did nothing. One day it's there and next it's gone. Works fine on the Bolt main unit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TiVo bolt is now finally getting out of home streaming and premium content downloads.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/06/03/now-tivo-bolt-owners-can-stream-tv-anywhere/

I'm excited for this in combination with Android Apps on ChromeOS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So...uh...this whole Rovi guide data thing has been a complete disaster eh?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

hwat?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what that is either but I'm guessing it's the reason all the movies in my guide are now described with punched-up ad copy in place of the hilariously prosaic language they used a few days ago.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Has it? I've noticed a few program descriptions missing (Although that's not new) and a fictional channel added but beyond that everything seems to be working fine on my end.

Although I live in the 5th largest media market in the US so maybe they are more on the ball here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After the Rovi merger closed, they overnight switched from Gracenote guide data to Rovi Guide data.

There's missing descriptions, wrong original air dates, some data is just flat out missing. It's a clusterfuck.

I've had to keep a hawk-eye on my to-do list and compare it to what I see in Series Guide, because some stuff has been missing. I just now noticed that it didn't record tonight's Colbert and isn't slated to record it all week since it's not marked as new and there's no description for the shows. I've had a few other 1passes that I've had to invoke recordings manually due to incorrect data causing them not to be recorded as they should.

It's really dire and only going to get worse as more and more fall stuff premiers. If they don't straighten this out soon, it's going to completely kill Tivo. I've already had more missed (or near missed) recordings in the past week than I had the entire time I had a FiOS DVR.

I was just watching Smithsonian Channel and they mentioned the new season of Air Disasters starts on the 18th. I thought it was odd because nothing has shown up in my To-Do list. I fast forward in the guide and I see the evening for the 18th and everything after is listed as "Smithsonian Programming/Previews." That's only 5 days from now and there's no (useful) guide data.

Just looked up 11:35pm-12:37 on CBS and that slot is listed as "To Be Announced" with a duration of 24hr. It's also apparently Blackout and rated R.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 13, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, now that I'm checking I see several shows are missing episodes and just have "<channel> Programming" in their time slot. And I'm in the largest US media market so everywhere else is probably super hosed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Man this explains a lot. Since the deal
Just closed maaaaaybe they should have spent a little more time testing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Man this explains a lot. Since the deal
Just closed maaaaaybe they should have spent a little more time testing.

They probably weren't allowed by the shareholders since gracenote is a direct competitor. That agreement probably had to be severed immediately after takeover.

My one year of ownership comes up next month which means I'm faced with renewing my service for another year.

My ROI compared to FiOS Quantum was only like 18 months so I would be really tempted to cut back to the FiOS DVR if they don't get this poo poo sorted soon. As it stands, it's almost getting unusable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

So is now a terrible time to hop into first-time Tivo ownership with a Roamio OTA? Bad program guide functionality is enough to ruin a DVR.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The program guide is literally how TiVo justifies it's monthly subscription. They'll get the problem figured out.

I haven't seen a problem with the guide on Comcast in Atlanta yet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did we talk about the Bolt+? It doesn't look like we did. I imagine the press release is, "Finally, a year later, everything you could do on a Roamio, for more money!" 3GB is nice but it ain't like storage is expensive.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Roamios have 4K output?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Bolt+ is actually another symptom of the Rovi issues. It's exactly what TiVo said they didn't want to and WEREN'T going to release last year.

The said there would be a new pro model, that they weren't interested in dropping 6 tuners in a bolt with a larger hard drive. Well, the pro model never materialized and we got a Bolt with 6 tuners and a bigger hard drive...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Roamios have 4K output?

I meant the return of deleted features that took a year after the initial release, obviously 4K is new

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TiVo's SEC filing posted:

Gracenote (formerly known as Tribune Media Services, Inc.) is currently the sole supplier of the program guide data for the TiVo service and we are transitioning the TiVo service to program guide data supplied by Rovi Corporation. Gracenote is the current sole supplier of program guide data for the TiVo service. Our current Television Listings Data Agreement with Gracenote expired on May 19, 2016. On April 28, 2016, we entered into an agreement with Rovi Corporation to supply program guide data for the TiVo service after the expiration of our agreement with Gracenote. Our agreement with Gracenote provides us with a wind-down period post-expiration to allow for the transition of the TiVo service from use of Gracenote to alternative program guide data. Gracenote has indicated that it is unwilling to provide a short term extension and that any longer term extension would be at a significant increase in cost. If we are unable to transition the TiVo service to use program guide data from Rovi by the end of the wind-down period (or if Gracenote ceased providing program guide data to the TiVo service prior to the expiration of the wind-down period and prior to our transition to Rovi program guide data), we would be subject to a period of time in which we are unable to provide the TiVo service to our customers and certain distribution partners, or alternatively, we may be unable to provide certain features or functionality which are currently part of the TiVo service for a period of time for our customers and certain distribution partners. In any of these events, our business would be harmed through the potential loss of customers, distribution partners and the associated revenues as well as potential contractual penalties and damages.

Seems safe to assume that Gracenote told TiVo that if they are going to merge with their biggest competitor and transition to their data system any extension between the end of their current contract and whatever contract they would have negotiated with them as a relatively small player in the set top box game to one of the biggest would come with a giant gently caress you fee.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

The program guide is literally how TiVo justifies it's monthly subscription. They'll get the problem figured out.

The problem is, Rovi guide data has always been this bad. Just ask any WMC users who got shafted after that switched.

So, the only real hope is that the noise of TiVo owners will be enough for them to get their act together. But I'm doubtful. This isn't really a temporary blip, this is SoP for Rovi.

Maybe a dedicated team at TiVo will scrub the data to ensure the boxes get correct results, but I doubt they are going to stick that many resources on it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, Rovi guide data has always been this bad. Just ask any WMC users who got shafted after that switched.

So, the only real hope is that the noise of TiVo owners will be enough for them to get their act together. But I'm doubtful. This isn't really a temporary blip, this is SoP for Rovi.

Maybe a dedicated team at TiVo will scrub the data to ensure the boxes get correct results, but I doubt they are going to stick that many resources on it.

Man this really feels like it could be the beginning of the end. Which, if Rovi just bought Tivo for their patent portfolio, I guess they don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Apparently the Plex DVR is getting program guide information from Gracenote, but a lifetime Plex Pass license ($150) plus a computer capable of storing / hosting plex ($300 minimum optimistically) and one of the TV tuners from the only product line that Plex DVR supports ($100) comes out more expensive than a Roamio OTA and is still more complex to use.

• Locked thread