Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I just signed up for Comcast and got them to setup the Cablecard for my Tivo. It works great actually, although the installer gave me two S-Cards from 2006 that the guy found in a box in the warehouse. WTF? He said they were out of M-Cards but I think he just didn't know where to look since who keeps stock from 2006 around?

It beats the hell out of the Comcast DVR I have sitting next to it. Why would they make HD DVR that shows the channel grid in SD resolution? That just makes no sense. (Pretty dumb, but Comcast DVR was included on this package and it's useful as a 3rd tuner.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

smackfu posted:

Why would they make HD DVR that shows the channel grid in SD resolution? That just makes no sense. (Pretty dumb, but Comcast DVR was included on this package and it's useful as a 3rd tuner.)

Tivo's guide isn't a true HD guide because it's still stuck at 90 minutes of displayed information. AFAIK, only Dish Network has a true widescreen guide with >90 minutes of info displayed.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

smackfu posted:

I just signed up for Comcast and got them to setup the Cablecard for my Tivo. It works great actually, although the installer gave me two S-Cards from 2006 that the guy found in a box in the warehouse. WTF? He said they were out of M-Cards but I think he just didn't know where to look since who keeps stock from 2006 around?

If Comcast is like Cablevision they will charge you the same amount for an S Card as they do for an M Card.

So, that Comcast installer is making you pay twice as much as you should be for Cablecards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

complex posted:

If Comcast is like Cablevision they will charge you the same amount for an S Card as they do for an M Card.

So, that Comcast installer is making you pay twice as much as you should be for Cablecards.
I haven't gotten my first bill yet so they may do that, although I'm pretty sure the first card is included.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I don't remember if it was covered earlier (or if I already asked it), but is Tivo smart enough to handle situations where a tv show starts late due to a sporting event?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

brc64 posted:

I don't remember if it was covered earlier (or if I already asked it), but is Tivo smart enough to handle situations where a tv show starts late due to a sporting event?

No. The guide data just isn't updated fast enough to catch a show delayed because of a football game that goes into overtime.

The best you can do is to add padding. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/351

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

complex posted:

No. The guide data just isn't updated fast enough to catch a show delayed because of a football game that goes into overtime.

The best you can do is to add padding. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/351
I sort of figured that was the case. If by some miracle it did, I was really curious how.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smackfu posted:

I haven't gotten my first bill yet so they may do that, although I'm pretty sure the first card is included.

Yeah Comcast is first card free, we pay like a buck for the M card in our second Tivo HD. Well, in Houston it's like that anyway, I know practices vary.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

brc64 posted:

I deal with this with The Amazing Race every other week or so. I have it padded by an hour, then, if I'm around, I always turn it on when it starts to see if 60 minutes (the hour-long program preceeding TAR) is on. If it's not, then I know I need to add more padding.

If you can't be around to verify then add another hour to it, if possible.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Just an additional comment on the utility of the addon drive: The girlfriend is out of town for ten days. She's been gone for 7, with 3 remaining. I haven't deleted any program we watch together in that time, which can be several hours of HD a day. Yet we still have 150+ in our deleted folder (the only metric for seeing how much space is left)

So, the addon drive gives you peace of mind. I really can just leave it for a week and not lose anything, whereas without it, I'd be constantly babying it, making sure to keep certain things, cancel certain recordings, etc. When we leave for another week-long trip in a month, it'll be nice to know that, barring my Tivo's temperament, everything we miss will be recorded.

Captain Haddock
Dec 14, 2004

So over the past few months my HD Tivo has been randomly restarting itself. This seems to happen at random times, and occurs every couple of weeks or so. Has this happened to anyone else? It's loving annoying when I'm in the middle of a show and it has to go through the 5+ minute startup cycle.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

First, check the temperature. Have you recently moved it to a new shelf or location where it could be hotter? System Status should also show the internal temperature.

If not, then it is probably the drive. Use WinMFS to backup the drive. Use the truncated backup (to lose all your shows, but saves everything else). Then restore that backup to a new drive.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Captain Haddock posted:

So over the past few months my HD Tivo has been randomly restarting itself. This seems to happen at random times, and occurs every couple of weeks or so. Has this happened to anyone else? It's loving annoying when I'm in the middle of a show and it has to go through the 5+ minute startup cycle.

I had a problem with this, you can see my saga a few pages back. Be sure to run the diagnostic on your internal (and external, if you have one) drive.

For a Tivo HD:

1) Restart the TiVo
2) As it reboots (I could never remember the exact moment to do it; try different ones) start holding PAUSE while aiming at the TiVo.
3) Hold it down until the lights on the front of the unit do weird stuff. "For TiVoHD users: you'll see a flashing green light, then amber and red lights."
4) Now enter "54". I don't recall if you need to hit enter or not.

A screen will come up with various HDD diagnostics. Check the SMART tests, and check the specific tests for each drive you have. I don't know about the long ones, the site linked recommends the overnight, but if the short ones report errors then you know what you're dealing with.

Site with the code information: http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like Moxi is stepping up their game against Tivo.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/moxi-fall-update-comes-with-a-lower-price-and-a-new-3-tuner-model/

They've released a 3 tuner model and dropped the price on both the 2 tuner DVR and the Moxi Mates. You can get the 2 tuner 500gb one for $499 now which is $100 cheaper than a refurbished 160gb Tivo with lifetime service (Moxi DVRs all have lifetime service.)

Hopefully this will prompt Tivo to put out some newly competitive hardware soon.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Moxi is stepping up their game against Tivo.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/moxi-fall-update-comes-with-a-lower-price-and-a-new-3-tuner-model/

They've released a 3 tuner model and dropped the price on both the 2 tuner DVR and the Moxi Mates. You can get the 2 tuner 500gb one for $499 now which is $100 cheaper than a refurbished 160gb Tivo with lifetime service (Moxi DVRs all have lifetime service.)

Hopefully this will prompt Tivo to put out some newly competitive hardware soon.

Heh, Moxi.

Good luck with that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing I want Tivo to compete with Moxi on is that tiny little box that can go in another room and stream whatever I want from my main DVR in the living room.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Philthy posted:

The only thing I want Tivo to compete with Moxi on is that tiny little box that can go in another room and stream whatever I want from my main DVR in the living room.

So you don't want Tivo to release a new product with a faster processor and more storage nor do you want them to reduce hardware cost?

It's getting silly, there are nettops with a full windows 7 licenses that are only $20 more than the Tivo HD. The whole point in using a SoC design is to reduce costs and footprint but now we have general purpose computers with more power and take less space for basically the same price.

DVRs have been stagnant for over 2 years now. I can't be the only one who wants to see competition heat up in this space.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

bull3964 posted:

DVRs have been stagnant for over 2 years now. I can't be the only one who wants to see competition heat up in this space.

Lately the big thing has been adding new video sources, like Pandora, Blockbuster, Netflix, Disney, etc.

It hasn't really been that stagnant. I bought the Series 3 when it first came out and since then, there's been at least 2 more different models that have come out. In addition to the new video stuff.

Now they've been making them so you can easily add more storage through an external drive. I don't see more people buying a new system that only has more storage when they can upgrade their existing one by plugging in a hard drive externally.

Faster processor? I can't really think of any issues where a faster processor would help me at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

It hasn't really been that stagnant. I bought the Series 3 when it first came out and since then, there's been at least 2 more different models that have come out. In addition to the new video stuff.

Yes, it really has. The series 3 came out in 2006 and the HD came out in 2007. The XL is just an HD with a larger hard drive and a THX label (and a disproportionate price tag), it's not really a major hardware revision.

quote:

Now they've been making them so you can easily add more storage through an external drive. I don't see more people buying a new system that only has more storage when they can upgrade their existing one by plugging in a hard drive externally.

Why are you looking at things though the context of current owners? Only 443,000 cablecards have been deployed total. Out of 63 million cable TV subscribers, that's a LOT of potential customers to bring on board. The HD landscape has changed a lot since 2007 when the Tivo HD first came out. 160gb of storage base is just silly when someone can easily have over 100 HD channels available to them now. It's really hard for people to swallow the capital outlay for a device like this, especially when their cableco DVR is 'good enough' from a functionality standpoint.

Look at it this way. A simple cost analysis of Tivo compared to my verizon DVR shows that it would take 4 years to break even (assuming refurb Tivo HD at $199 + lifetime service). So, I'm looking at buying a 2 year old device with the intent of using it for an additional 4 years to just break even on cost? There are some benefits in a slicker UI, better guide data, and some online video sources. But the real sore spot of my current DVR, storage, requires an additional investment from me which extends the ROI period even longer. I would also be giving up my current extensive VoD library. Also, the value of the online services that Tivo offers are declining at a rapid rate as hardware that revs revisions much quicker (such as blu-ray players and TVs) are adding in these features to their latest product.

Now, shrink the ROI to something more reasonable like 3 years and give me a substantial upgrade over my existing cableco DVR (DLNA streaming of recordings and live TV, larger storage, smaller physical and electrical footprint, true HD (greater than 90 minutes) guide) and I would be calling Verizon right now to order an M-card.

quote:

Faster processor? I can't really think of any issues where a faster processor would help me at this point.

Tivo still lacks a true HD guide and one of the reasons for that is available resources. The newest broadcom chipsets give more than a speed boost though. It would bring to the table DLNA, MoCA (which would allow access to VoD services that are delivered through IP like Verizon), Flash acceleration, and even 3d acceleration (which could really increase the responsiveness of the UI).

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm just venting my frustration in the current DVR market. We should really be having much better and cheaper products available to us right now and we simply don't.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I've made this no secret: The biggest upgrade TiVo could make is to the interface. I don't care how many secondary sources they add; if it takes me 2 minutes just to navigate the screens to enter a name of a youtube video, I'm just going to go to my computer and type it. This isn't about using the remote as a keyboard, either; it takes seconds just to switch between options and letters.

So yes, faster processor would be grand. For this, and for an HD guide.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

So you don't want Tivo to release a new product with a faster processor and more storage nor do you want them to reduce hardware cost?

I certainly wouldn't mind, but I've been more than perfectly happy with my Tivo HD and HD Expansion since I got the thing. A higher res guide, faster interface, faster nic would all be on my list, but what is most important to me is being able to watch what is on it more than anything else. I'd be able to watch more TV if I could get a little box to stream from the Tivo in the living room to my bedroom without having to buy a second Tivo that has fans and makes noise, and a second subscription/lifetime. I just want a $50 box that is the size of my fist jacked into my bedroom TV.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 12, 2009

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Does anyone else have a Tivo that has a hard on for certain shows you've never even rated?

Mine records channel 100 at 9pm almost every weekday.

The show?

Johnny Quest.

It's been recording it for at least most of this year.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
For me, I think it's even worse that it records some shows that I have rated. I'm a nerd, Star Trek got a couple thumbs-up points. That doesn't mean I want my TiVo to record every episode of every Trek series - mostly because I've seen 'em all plenty of times already. If I could tell it to use a given rating for recommendation purposes but not to record that specific show, I'd be so very happy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have all that turned off and just browse recommendations and select to record them on my own. That way you don't end up with 50 shows about making cakes or someshit just because I watched an episode of No Reservations.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Philthy posted:

I have all that turned off and just browse recommendations and select to record them on my own. That way you don't end up with 50 shows about making cakes or someshit just because I watched an episode of No Reservations.

One of the things I like about Tivo is having random stuff recorded and seeing new things. I think the suggestions aren't based on what you watched but how you rated something. Just because you watched a suggestion doesn't automatically mean you liked it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

chemosh6969 posted:

One of the things I like about Tivo is having random stuff recorded and seeing new things. I think the suggestions aren't based on what you watched but how you rated something. Just because you watched a suggestion doesn't automatically mean you liked it.

When you record something, it gives it a single thumbs up.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Philthy posted:

When you record something, it gives it a single thumbs up.

I'm talking about the suggestions that it automatically records. If I record something and don't like it, I always bump it down before I'm done, otherwise I start getting tons of shows of the same variety.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

For me, I think it's even worse that it records some shows that I have rated. I'm a nerd, Star Trek got a couple thumbs-up points. That doesn't mean I want my TiVo to record every episode of every Trek series - mostly because I've seen 'em all plenty of times already. If I could tell it to use a given rating for recommendation purposes but not to record that specific show, I'd be so very happy.
Yeah I'd like a "thumbs up but don't record this" setting ever since I gave Law & Order a thumbs up. Hell sometimes I give shows I like a thumbs down just because I don't want 15 reruns a day.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I switch my TV to the Tivo input, I get a bright green screen and a horribly loud buzzing sound that I take to mean that the HDMI handshake failed. Is this the sort of thing that can be fixed by a reboot, or do I start worrying?

(I haven't rebooted it yet because it's in the middle of taping something.)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

When I switch my TV to the Tivo input, I get a bright green screen and a horribly loud buzzing sound that I take to mean that the HDMI handshake failed. Is this the sort of thing that can be fixed by a reboot, or do I start worrying?

Only one way to find out - rebooting's always fixed the random problem with video output.

I've been getting a lot of two second A/V freezes lately; safe to say that the drive is starting to take a bath?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deathlove posted:

Only one way to find out - rebooting's always fixed the random problem with video output.

Yeah, it did, but I also discovered that the tivo had been entirely frozen for all that time and none of last night's shows were recorded. Doh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Golbez posted:

I've made this no secret: The biggest upgrade TiVo could make is to the interface. I don't care how many secondary sources they add; if it takes me 2 minutes just to navigate the screens to enter a name of a youtube video, I'm just going to go to my computer and type it. This isn't about using the remote as a keyboard, either; it takes seconds just to switch between options and letters.

So yes, faster processor would be grand. For this, and for an HD guide.

Yeah. My current solution to the typing poo poo in problem is an iphone app which is pretty slick and controls your tivo through your local network, so you can just touch type in whatever it is you are looking for on the iphone screen instead of struggling with the stupid move cursor around with remote style of working.

Having a faster box would be real nice though, I mean, I can't imagine it would be tough at this point... I'm sure the CPU they're running on is ancient.

haveblue posted:

Sometimes a reboot will fix, sometimes your HDMI port has eaten it. The HDMI ports on these things are terrible.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 18, 2009

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
I'm moving into a new place and I'm considering getting a new tivo to go along with it. I currently have verizon FIOS and one of their DVRs and I hate it. I had Tivo two years ago and I loved it.

The problem is we're going to get verizon FIOS at the new place, and I remember a while back Tivo didn't work so well with verizon. Changing channels was awkward because tivo would have to send a signal to the cable box and there was a 1-2 second delay until it would actual change the channel, and this was even if you just pressed channel up/down. Are these issues gone with the new CableCARD thing I have to buy now to get it to work.

Apologies if this is all a bit scattered. I guess I'm really just looking for some input from someone who has Tivo and FIOS.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

I have FIOS and a Tivo HD and they work fine together.

There is no interaction between the cable box and the Tivo. The Tivo has CableCARDs (either one M card or two S cards; in operation both behave exactly the same) and tunes its own channels. It can and usually does replace your cable box.

In my case I decided to keep the cable box. The Tivo goes to HDMI input 1 on my TV, the cable box to HDMI input 2. One reason is in the rare case that 3 things are on at the same time I can have the Tivo record 2 of them and watch the third on the cable box. I'd say this happens maybe once a month.

Second is the FIOS cable box is actully kind of cool. The on-screen guide is pretty nice. The widgets are sometimes fun to play with. Also, the cable box can order movies and even new channels on-demand, things the Tivo cannot and probably will not ever be able to do.

On my Verizon bill the STB rental fee is $5.99, but then I get a Free Rental credit of $5.99. In effect it costs me nothing to keep the box. Not sure if your plan is similar. I am on "Verizon Flex".

The CableCARDs are $3.99 each per month. Try to get an M card to save $3.99/month.

Hope this helps.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

complex posted:

I have FIOS and a Tivo HD and they work fine together.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. If Tivo can tune the channels, then that pretty much fixes everything. Thanks man.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
I just bought a TiVo HD, and looking through the specs, it seems it has 2 tuners for an antenna connection. Does that mean that it essentially has 4 tuners total, 2 antenna and 2 cable in (cablecard)? Can I record 4 programs simultaneously, 2 from cable and 2 from antenna?

I have Comcast Digital Preferred and an old indoor HDTV antenna that looks like this one, which will probably only receive a couple of channels.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

I just bought a TiVo HD, and looking through the specs, it seems it has 2 tuners for an antenna connection. Does that mean that it essentially has 4 tuners total, 2 antenna and 2 cable in (cablecard)? Can I record 4 programs simultaneously, 2 from cable and 2 from antenna?

I have Comcast Digital Preferred and an old indoor HDTV antenna that looks like this one, which will probably only receive a couple of channels.

No.

Think about it this way, when you setup the guide, you pick which service you get so it displays what shows you get.. You'll either pick Comcast or OTA. Plus you can only switch between 2 sources with the guide.

Just curious, did you get yours from Best Buy? There's a deal where the HD is only $100 if you buy any HDTV from them and $199 without the TV.

First thing you'll want to do when you set it up is install pyTivo on your computer to stream stuff to the Tivo.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Yes, I just bought it for $99 along with a Sony 32" HDTV for $377.99

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I kind of feel like a moron but I dont know exactly how to install pyTivo on my computer. I went to the wiki and I clicked on the current release page and it took me to a GIT page and I have no clue what I am supposed to do from there lol. Cany anyone give me a hand?

Ok I downloaded PyTivo and python however now I really don't have any clue what I am doing

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

KickStand posted:

Ok I downloaded PyTivo and python however now I really don't have any clue what I am doing

This is where I grabbed my version of PyTivo from
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/updated-windows-installer-2009-03-21-t512.html#3957

and the download link from that post
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/download.php?id=170

I installed python 2.4 and a zip file from

Once you have python, it's other stuff installed, then run pyTivo-wmcbrine-2009.03.19-RC1(note: I didn't upgrade it like the post says to do. I did run into a bug saying there wasn't any files in a folder that had a ton of files. I think there was some limit I hit.).

Once that's installed, you can go to your start menu, programs and find pytivo. 2 ways of doing things:
1) configure - pytivo.conf
2) configure - admin web

For now, just do the conf link.

As an example, here's my rifftrax folder that I share to my tivos

code:
[Rifftrax]
type = video
path = o:\rifftrax
The first line is what will show up in the Now Playing. Keep the brackets, just change the title to what you want.

Second line is because it's video and not audio or pictures.

Path is the path to the folder.

If you want to do it through the web admin, click that link, choose web configuration. There's some simple instructions on the right.

Hit Add Section, give it a name(like Movies or in my case Rifftrax). Hit save, it'll do a restart, then select the name you did, type would be video and set the path to whatever folder you want.

If you need anymore help, let me know.

• Locked thread