Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
I just bought a TiVo HD, and looking through the specs, it seems it has 2 tuners for an antenna connection. Does that mean that it essentially has 4 tuners total, 2 antenna and 2 cable in (cablecard)? Can I record 4 programs simultaneously, 2 from cable and 2 from antenna?

I have Comcast Digital Preferred and an old indoor HDTV antenna that looks like this one, which will probably only receive a couple of channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Yes, I just bought it for $99 along with a Sony 32" HDTV for $377.99

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
The Comcast technician came and installed the M-Card on my new TiVo HD on the 3rd. Everything went perfectly during the installation, he brought an M-Card instead of the feared S-Card and I was receiving all my channels. Today, my bill became available on comcast.com, and just as I feared, Comcast had found a way to screw it up, but this was by far the most creative Comcast billing screwup I've experienced.

CableCard rental: $49.99/month!

For some reason, Comcast started charging me double for cable TV service ($99.98 instead of $49.99) as a result of the CableCard installation, as though my house was 2 different houses, both with Comcast cable. They even applied the extra charge to the previous month. My taxes had more than doubled, from $5.85 to $12.07.

I called up their billing support and got it fixed in like 5 minutes. They reduced the $99.98 for Digital Preferred back down to my promotional rate of $49.99, deleted last month's second Digital Preferred charge, and gave me a $20 credit since the CableCard tech arrived at 11:45 instead of 8-11. I assume that my $6.00 in extra taxes will be credited back to me next month. They refused to give me a $3.40 monthly credit after I turned in my SD digital converter (which the TiVo HD replaced), which is included in the package and ordinarily costs one $3.40/month, however.

This is why I always watch my Comcast bill like a hawk. Good thing I caught it, or Comcast would have gladly let me keep paying almost double forever.

This month's screwed up CableCard error Comcast bill ($205.22):

Click here for the full 1163x1133 image.

Last month's regular (correct) Comcast bill ($112.98):

Click here for the full 1181x1184 image.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Wow, Comcast is ripping off your area slightly more than they're ripping off mine. I think it's like a $3.00 charge for each digital additional outlet over here, even though it says $9.95 or so in the price pamphlet. I wonder why they don't just have standardized national prices?

Depending upon how much that extra $6.95/month is irritating you, I'd call up their billing department and tell them that the technician was supposed to install an M-Card, not 2 S-Cards, and that the 2 S-Cards are being used in a single device, so could they please limit it to just one $6.95 digital a/o charge. If that doesn't work, ask them to send the tech out again with an M-Card, assuming it's only an $18-$25 charge. Tell them the tech didn't do the install right the first time, and ask if you could get the next tech visit for free.

Or if the $6.95/month is bothering you less than dealing with billing and installation would, and you just don't want to deal with it, that's cool too.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
By the time the TiVo Series 4 comes out, it may be irrelevant, with ceton quad-tuner cablecard tuners and 3-tuner Moxis with Moxi extenders and media center extenders and such. If TiVo wants to stay in the game, they'll have to come up with not only a TiVo Series 4 (with a 3+ tuner model available as well), but TiVo extenders too.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 13, 2010

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Yeah, if they're able to successfully license their software. We were supposed to be able to get Comcast DVRs with TiVo software years ago. Comcast seems to be perfectly happy to continue renting plain old DVRs with terrible software that everybody hates.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

bull3964 posted:

It's simple for me. Release a 640gb product with a true HD guide and affordable multiroom viewing for under $300 for the base unit and they'll have my business. The longer they wait, I'm just getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a hub/spoke setup using a server with a cablecard tuner and nettops to deliver the content to where I want it.

Right now, I pay $507.60 a year just in equipment rental fees. That covers TiVo service for a TiVo HD, a Comcast DVR rental, and a Comcast HD STB rental, plus Comcast's digital additional outlet fees. I've been considering getting a Ceton quad cablecard tuner when they come out, to install in my HTPC and use with Media Center 7, plus 2 media center extenders (assuming they will stream all my channels, including premiums, plus recorded shows), and MoCa adapters if the 802.11n wireless isn't fast enough to stream HD to 2 extenders simultaneously.

I look forward to the day when you can just walk into any Best Buy and buy a DVR for $200-$300 with no monthly fees that can be used with any cable or satellite service, or an extender for that DVR with MoCa for $100, or an HD STB for $100.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

Brock Landers posted:

Have you considered the Windows 7 Media Center + Extender (XBOX 360) route? You get a full-on computer, guide with no subscription, and the ability to watch live and recorded TV through the XBOX. You also can use things like Boxee, Hulu, etc. and decode any format video file, listen to music, look at pictures... you get the idea. I'm walking down that path myself. You can build a capable HTPC for ~$500 and if you want digital cable support, $400 for a Quad-tuner CableCARD device by Ceton coming out in March. Add as many XBOXes as you have TVs and you're set.

I'm almost there, I'm just missing the ceton tuner. Everything else is in place.

Xbox 360s are noisy and use too much power. Use a Linksys DMA2100 Extender instead. I got 2 of these for $100 each at ecost when they were on sale a month ago or so. They're noiseless and use very little power.

You'll need 4GB of memory on the HTPC before Windows Media Center will allow you to go the cablecard route. And 160GB+ HDD space and a 2ghz+ dual core cpu, but that's not too big a deal.

Don't count on your extenders playing every format from your movie collection on your HTPC. I can't get mine to play MKVs right, though AVIs seem to work fine. MPG files with AC3 (from my TiVo HD) play with no audio. Hours of messing around with decoder filters and such and googling for answers doesn't help much. Just consider your Windows Media Center + Extender setup a dedicated TV recording, pictures, music, and probably netflix player, and if you get some of your movie collection to play on an extender, that's a bonus. I was really hoping for the kind of compatibility you would find on a popcorn hour or a WD TV, but what can you do?

So far, for 225ft of Cat 6 cable in varying lengths, a 5-port gigabit switch, an Arrow T-59 staple gun and the staples for running Cat 6 (your HTPC can't be connected wirelessly and also transmitting wirelessly to the extenders, aka "no double wireless hops"), HDMI cables, 2 Media Center Extenders + 3 year squaretrade warranties on them, a new WD 1.5TB HDD and SATA cables and 4GB DDR2 memory and a quad ceton cablecard tuner for my existing Media Jukebox and soon to be HTPC, it looks like my total will end up at around $927. If you're starting from scratch and have no existing Media Jukebox PC like I did that you can quickly convert into an HTPC, then the Moxi + 2 extender package will probably end up cheaper, but 3 tuners may not be enough for a whole-home setup.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
This TiVo Premiere announcement is such a letdown. Rather than focusing on Netflix/Youtube/Blockbuster On Demand, it would have been nice if they'd found some way to include the On Demand services people already get included in their cable packages, via tru2way. A TiVo Series 4 without tru2way, jesus christ. I certainly won't be waiting another 3 years for one to come out.

The future of DVRs is probably in Windows Media Center (or maybe not, with the extenders having been discontinued a year ago) and Moxi. And, ironically, in rented cable company DVRs which use TiVo software, just locked down and stripped of features to gently caress and back.

• Locked thread