Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

KickStand posted:

Whats this CableCARD business?

CableCARD is actually your friend and will be referred to as CC from now on. CC allows you to record encrypted digital cable from your local cable company. Two different CCs exist. Single stream and Multi stream. A single stream card will only allow you to record one channel unless two single stream cards are installed. A multi stream card will allow you to record two channels using just the single card.
I'm a little confused on this. If you want to be able to utilize two channels at once, you need either 2 single-stream cards or one multi-stream card? Does the Tivo have two card slots, then, or if your cable company doesn't have multi-stream cards (no idea how common this is), are you out of luck?

quote:

I can't get all my channels, whats going on?

Some service providers are using Switched Digital Video to relieve some of the bandwidth so they may provide you with more HD channels. Currently there is no way for you to pick up these channels however TiVo is working with cable companies to release an SDV converter so you may enjoy these channels as well.
This is the main thing keeping me away from Tivo right now. When they solve this problem, are they just going to release some kind of crazy little adapter, or are you going to have to get a whole new unit? Or have they said, yet?

KickStand posted:

Mr. Kickstand sir can you please explain all this business about TiVo drive capacity?

Sure can buddy. Different TiVo DVR units contain different internal hard drives and in turn have different recording capabilities. Heres a quick rundown for you:

TiVo Series2 DT DVR:Has a 80GB hard drive and can record up to 80 hours of SD programming. (no HD supported)
TiVo HD:Has a 160GB hard drive and can record up to 20 hours of HD or 160 hours of SD programming.
TiVo Series3 HD:Has a 250GB hard drive and can record up to 30 hours of HD or 300 hours of SD programming.
TiVo HD XL DVR:Has a 1TB (1,000GB) hard drive and can record up to 150 hours of HD or 1,350 hours of SD programming.
Wait, so if the Series 3 is HD, what is the regular HD? Do they both offer dual channel recording? Other than the size of the harddrive, what differences exist between the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Probably the most common setup is to connect the AV inputs to your cable box, then coax to the coax input.
I thought one of the goals of TiVo was to replace your cable box and simplify everything? Maybe that's what the Series 3 is for. How does it handle two separate inputs like that, anyway? If you're feeding TiVo straight A/V output from a cable box, it wouldn't have any way of knowing what channel you were watching or have any way to change the channel to set up a new recording, would it?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I don't remember if it was covered earlier (or if I already asked it), but is Tivo smart enough to handle situations where a tv show starts late due to a sporting event?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

complex posted:

No. The guide data just isn't updated fast enough to catch a show delayed because of a football game that goes into overtime.

The best you can do is to add padding. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/351
I sort of figured that was the case. If by some miracle it did, I was really curious how.

• Locked thread