Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Bookmarked, 5'd, I wish there was more I could do, your advice has already helped me out repeatedly in the past.

I love you, Bangers. I love you in my knickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Bangers,

So I set up a Vista SP1 machine with RSAT to play around with the sweet new Vista Group Policy options, but when I run it on my current domain all the options look exactly the same as they do on my other machines. Reading the OP again, am I correct in assuming that this:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You also want to make sure that the optional Windows Update Group Policy Client Side Extensions is installed across the entire domain for these new features to be usable on older system, but more on that later when I get to patch management.

means that the new extensions won't show up until the update is installed on the Server 2003 machines that currently govern my network? I just want to confirm before I go ahead and reboot our primary domain controller.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

I'm trying to use the new RSAT Group Policy options on my domain and I noticed that those updates have been pushed out to some machines but not others. (All of our clients are Win XP, but I'm running the RSAT tools on a Vista machine.) I checked our WSUS server because I could've sworn that I had set the Client Side Extensions update to install on all our client machines.

Unfortunately, a large number of machines are reporting the update as Not Applicable. Is there any way to override that NA setting in WSUS to ensure that KB943729 is installed on all machines?

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

There was some goofiness with SP3 and WSUS, where installing SP3 before the CSE's cause WSUS to think the update was no longer applicable. The MS WSUS team said that issue was resolved months ago through once the CSE's were verified to be fully SP3 compatible. Revision 1.03 of KB943729 released was on 11/25/09, do you have this version of the KB?

KB943729 shows up twice in my WSUS list with one saying it has expired, but I'm not seeing revision 103 (only revisions 100 and 101). This server synchronizes every evening... any reason why it wouldn't pick up 103?

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Which version of WSUS are you using? Is your upstream set to Microsoft or another WSUS server that might not be providing the update? I'm not too up on the inner-workings of WSUS, so if it is acting up I may not have anything more constructive for you than saying to dump the datastore and database and rebuild.

Currently running 3.0.6000.374, which as far as I can tell is just WSUS 3 without SP1. I'll update the SP and see if that makes any difference. It's the only update server we're running so the upstream is pointed at MS.

• Locked thread