Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'm in a crappy situation where I've got to try and convince the current network admin, who is a sperging "Install linux problem solved" old lady, that we should actually move to using Active Directory and Group Policy on our network of ~60 users. What's the best one-paragraph explanation of why we should take everyone off the various workgroups and put them into a domain and start using Active Directory to manage them?

(I TOTALLY want to do this and feel the network is an epic disaster, but I'm also not as experienced as I'd like to be with AD, see my "Baby's first server migration" thread for more details on what I'm dealing with)

Do users do dumb things with company computers? If so, would you like to stop them from doing dumb things with company computers? Thanks to the magic of group policy you can centrally administer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Are PowerShell scripts only guaranteed to run on Windows 7/2008 R2? That's what the property page for logon/startup scripts implies but I would think that as long as PS is installed they should run.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe it's been posted here before, but any advice on a base set of policies for my quickly impending Win 7 rollout?

I've setup a policy to set Win 7 Aero as the default theme for a newly created profile (otherwise nobody will ever be using it). I also enabled rdesktop and poked a hole in the firewall it, and disabled the ability for users to shutdown or put their computers to sleep.

I'm going to look into disabling the some of the "Solve PC issues" popup about setting up a backup. I also probably need to do something about setting the wired network as a Work/Domain network (or does being on a domain take care of that?) Are there any other policies I should use to keep the computer from nagging users about things that are my problem?

Off the top of my head, the most important thing you should manage is Windows Update. Even if you don't run a WSUS server you can control how much UI the updater shows and when it runs.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a head-scratcher. I'm converting our printer deployments from the XP-style "printer connections" list to preference items and on some machines - but not others in the same OU, with the same GPOs applied - it fails with an error in the event log: "The user '<printer name>' preference item in the 'D230 printer {<guid>}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8007000a The environment is incorrect.' This error was suppressed." On the machines with that error, the printer ends up deployed, but not set to default, which is rather important in our environment. Machines that end up with it set to default do not exhibit that error. They are all running Windows 7.

The most useful information I could find online suggested disabling background processing for printer items, and that didn't help.

I can only think of one difference between the machines - they're all locked up with SmartShield (a Deep Freeze-like program) and it's possible that the failing machines got locked up with different versions of the policy already on the system. I don't think that would have any effect though, since the policy is re-downloaded at boot time. At any rate, in my testing, it didn't seem to make a difference if I logged out and logged back in as the same user or a different one, the printer would be present but not default. Any ideas? I'd like to avoid using logon scripts if possible.

edit: Just found an old reference to one of the printers I need to deploy in the default domain policy, under Computer\Windows\Deployed Printers. It didn't show up at all on the DC when I went to edit the GPO :wtc: I had to use a Windows 7 workstation to even find that that setting existed.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 9, 2011

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Yep, adding the print server feature made the deployed printers show up in GP Management. Looks like I had gotten the last settings when I went from the Windows 7 machine, I'll see what the impact is on the clients next time I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Swink posted:

Which runs first, a User GPO login script, or a script in the startup directory?

As in the Start Menu directory? Pretty sure the GP scripts run as part of GP application and therefore are executed before Explorer is started, but depending on how long GP processing takes, they could be still be running by the time Explorer is done with the Startup directory. Remember that you can change the order of execution of GP scripts and of processing the GPOs themselves.

• Locked thread