Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
At my old job (Startec, now Americatel), I was able to single handedly support the entire Canadian network (two offices, around 250+ machines) thanks to Group policies. It is that powerful, and makes standardisation a breeze.

And listen, don't be afraid of calling vbscripts in the GPO during logon, logoff, startup or shutdown. There are valid uses for it. I wrote a logon script that would map drives, add ODBC links, add/remove printers, and copy links and files based on both group and OU membership. Unfortunately, not many corporate clients are using Vista and its places like that there that can truly take advantage of what GPOs have to offer.

Jailbrekr fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You don't need Vista clients to use the new group policy features, only a Vista machine to build the actual policies. So long as the group policy extension update is installed on the XP or Server 2003 system they will apply there just fine, which is why I was trying to shift focus away from using VBScript and batch scripting.

That right there just eliminated around 40-50% of the crap I had to script using vbscript at my former employer. I'm still a script monkey at heart but god drat this tutorial is awesome. It almost makes me want to go back to being a Windows sysadmin (I'm a unix sysadmin now). Well, almost... ;)

I'm not sure if this was covered yet (I'm still reading and digesting), but you might want to mention how GPOs are deployed over slow connections and how to diddle the rules surrounding what gets deployed when.

• Locked thread