Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's deeper in your tree, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

My best suggestion would be to have wifi allocate from a different IP block (it should probably by vlanned off from the rest of the network anyway) and set up the adapter priority so the wired connection takes priority. I believe that should happen automatically anyway because Windows gives priority to the connection with the higher link speed.
Yeah this is not something you have to worry about in most scenarios.
Also lol if you're not setting your WLAN in some kind of jail.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

Is it possible to manage the system PATH variable of machines using a policy?
badonk

With any PATH issue, be wary of append vs replace :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is there anything in particular differentiating those machines? Have you tried hooking a logger to a mirror port to see what's actually going on?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I did this, it didn't work, I went to lunch, talked to the head Windows guy that said it wasn't possible, came back from lunch, and the policy had applied itself.
That dude is a muppet why is he head of anything. Also if he's head of windows things why not let him worry about it?

But yeah always leave time for new policies to replicate. Force replication and gpupdate if you're in a hurry.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So deploy a shortcut to a list of AD printers and let users choose?

E: look at bangers being all useful and thorough!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Also can a drive mapping preference apply itself any time other than logon?
I'm going to go ahead and guess you can't mount a share without the user credentials you'll mount it with, so no? Or do you mean later?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gallop w/a boner posted:

This doesn't answer your question; but under what circumstances do people map a home drive using a method like this, rather than by just filling in the home drive field for the user object in ADUC? I have always just used the home drive setting in there and found that it mapped happily without my specifying anything anywhere else.
Doing it that way means you can move the folders without a care in the world, as opposed to your method where you have to adjust the drive path on top of moving the actual data.

Moey posted:

If you are interested let me know, I have a nice script that I found that will loop through subnets pinging and then pulling WMI info.

Post it anyway!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And on, you know, the actual AD printer objects?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

Somewhere in SHSC's history there was a guy who posted about his job, where everyone had laptops. If IT walked by your laptop and it was unlocked, they posted a note reminding you to lock it. There was no second note - IT would confiscate your laptop and you'd have to get it back from your manager after explaining why you couldn't follow simple instructions.
At my previous employer if you left your poo poo unlocked, someone would always email your whole group for coffee and cake at your expense under a bullshit pretense. Without fail.

Hell we would even pull that prank on coworkers at customer premises. No one forgot twice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sanchez posted:

I had a coworker who would put both user and computer settings in the same policy and then link it in two different places.
This is why they make alcohol. And guns.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Syano posted:

You're probably just going to have to just play with it until it works for you then. There never really has been a guideline saying 'x amount of GPOs is too much for y bandwidth' and thats really just due to the insane amount of variables in play.
Also a $200 proliant n40l solves you problem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Swink posted:

Remote policy refresh!
PWAIZE THA LAAAWD

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty sure your script could check for pending reboots instead:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-PendingReboot-Query-bdb79542

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Erwin posted:

It wouldn't be every server, only test environments, etc. What's the difference between me doing it manually during the evening, or them rebooting themselves after installing updates at 2am on a Sunday?
Depends on your monitoring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You build GPO's with groups of settings that belong together, for whatever reason.

Caged posted:

I tend to have each GPO achieving a 'thing' - so if I want to set the power policy on my desktops then all the various settings are one GPO. This makes it easy to toggle on and off since you aren't going to change anything else when you do that, and it's a lot easier than having to remember that 5 GPOs together achieve one objective.
The problem with this approach is that you end with literally hundreds of GPO's, and processing will take forever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lord save you if you test in production for complex changes, but the way to test is to copy whatever you have and makes changes. When you want to implement, link the copy. Boom.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hihifellow posted:

If GPO processing time worries you, the event log will time GPO processing in milliseconds by subsection
I really should have put that in the original post, thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

From what I remember what really kills GPO processing is group-based and WMI filtering. And I've always encountered the weird loving random setting here and there when diagnosing slow startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

So we have a 2008 domain that's hosting exchange, a fileserver, and a few other servers. It is primarily email as of right now, but we're looking to start joining up our myriad environment to the domain to provide centralized services. Right now our domain is a domainname.local, which is no good. I've never really tried changing a domain name from .local to our actual .edu domain name and I was hoping someone had done a name switch like that and could offer some advice.
Name it to a subdomain of your edu (like shitstinks.whatevs.edu) and start from scratch.

• Locked thread