Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

taiyoko posted:

Is there a way to push out these changes without having to grant student accounts admin rights and manually have to change every laptop?

I realize this is an old question, but in case anyone else is interested, yes there is a way to push GPO settings remotely. XP doesn't have settings for GPO based power management, but Energy Star has released some packages to make this possible. I just pitched doing some power saving things at work yesterday, and they went over fairly well. Most everyone wanted to just disable sleep modes altogether but I was like :colbert: save some green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Moey posted:

Users don't know how to restart/shutdown...

There's probably a few things you could do to help this out without pushing policies too far. You can disable shutdown for the users via GPO. That's pretty easy and doesn't affect anything unless they are logged in. If you're worried about systems being off at a certain time you could look into some wake-on-lan stuff. Some of the implementations will allow a wake from power off.

It would probably help if you explain what you want your users to do and for what purpose and someone can make better suggestions about how to achieve your goal.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

chizad posted:

Is there a way to disable wifi while the wired connection is active without having to use any vendor specific software like Lenovo's access connections?

My Win7 Dell laptop does it by default. I think that's a Windows 7 feature and not part of the Dell toolset, since I only have the drivers installed.

My boss swears up and down that the wifi is still enabled, but an ipconfig shows no address on the wireless.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

This didn't work for me the once I tried it, so I just disabled it and didn't think anything of it.

I just allowed the entire domain and followed someone else's suggestion on here: you have to put the settings on both the computer and user level for it to work. Some drivers (mainly HP's Universal driver) still have issues and prompt for admin access, but there's workarounds (HP needs you to install 32 bit drivers from a 32 bit machine, and 64 bit drivers from a 64 bit machine).

• Locked thread