Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Jairbrekr posted:

At my old job (Startec, now Americatel), I was able to single handedly support the entire Canadian network (two offices, around 250+ machines) thanks to Group policies. It is that powerful, and makes standardisation a breeze.

And listen, don't be afraid of calling vbscripts in the GPO during logon, logoff, startup or shutdown. There are valid uses for it. I wrote a logon script that would map drives, add ODBC links, add/remove printers, and copy links and files based on both group and OU membership.

Quoting this because it is great.

For everyone else, if you want to apply a user setting on a per computer basis (regardless of who logs on) set GPO loopback processing to MERGE (or overwrite depending)

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Group Policy -> Loopback Policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Also make sure you are adding the 64-bit drivers on the print server under the sharing tab if you haven't. 64-bit clients need a different driver that a 32-bit print server won't have by default.

Don't use the drivers built into Windows when sharing / adding a printer either. A total pain in the rear end unless they change it in R2, the drivers have to have the same name (no not the same printer driver, the same drat name!), I found it pretty nice to just use the HP generic PCL 6 for pretty much all of mine (64 bit and 32).

Bangers, I haven't looked it up (too lazy, so far) but if you know off the top of your head is there a way to get Vista (and 7? (not sure of the display on it)) to display the MSI package name while installing like Windows XP + 2000 do instead of just saying "Please Wait"?

Noel posted:

Is there no way to disable "Sticky Keys" via Group Policy? edit: to be clear, I should say I want to disable the hotkey (pressing a modifier 5 times) activation of Sticky Keys on a Computer basis (or loopback it, whatever works). I don't need to disable the Sticky Keys feature itself.
Would any of these work? Push it as a .reg to the computer

1. Disable Sticky Keys
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys]
“Flags”=”506″
2. Disable Filter Keys
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]
“Flags”=”122″
3. Disable Toggle Keys
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys]
“Flags”=”58″

I seem to remember using the Sticky Key disable last year

Edit: Bangers I also see you did a JRE rollout? How did it go? The registry settings you made though don't do anything if I remember correctly, they are just left over from previous versions (when you could disable the updates). If you did find one that works can you please update the technical notes on the JRE version at AppDeploy? Tried doing a QuickTime deployment yet? Another pain in the rear end.

If anyone is looking to turn off the update for Flash, it is controlled by a .cfg file (I forget where, I think %windir%/system32/Macromedia/Flash (no I am not joking even though it has been quite a while since Adobe purchased them it still uses that path, as always check AppDeploy for more info / changes). (Will update this tomorrow with more info)

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 16, 2010

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Mapped drives through policy have been known to be spotty and I don't believe anyone had come to a solid conclusion on the cause. You might be better off with logon scripts.

Haven't had a single problem

ozmunkeh posted:

%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg

Containing the following line:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

Yeah I forgot about getting back to the thread but this is pretty much it.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Shockwave: The shockwave msi is a broken piece of poo poo that won't install through policy. Nobody in their right mind uses shockwave for anything these days so why bother installing it?

Java: Download the offline installer and open it. Wait until the first window opens, then go to appdata\locallow\sun\java\yourversion and copy out the installer files. Delete the .mst it comes with. Use InstEd to make a transform for the package that sets the following properties to 0: AUTOUPDATECHECK, JAVAUPDATE, JU

Shockwave is fairly simple and easy (will have to look at my mst at work)

None of those Java properties have ever worked for me (well after 1u5?)

Moey posted:

Anyone know of a good guide to get me started with updating or uninstalling/reinstalling software through GPO?

http://www.appdeploy.com/ for all your package information need. Won't help you with the general skills though, a handy reference for a lot of programs though.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 23, 2011

• Locked thread