Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan Landry
Oct 30, 2003
Stone Dead Forever

da sponge posted:

This doesn't make sense to me - the group the policy applies to is automatically delegated read permission when I add them to security filtering/apply the policy to it. Why does it need authenticated users delegated read permission for the group member when that member already has read & apply perms?

Could it be a token issue? Maybe the machines need a reboot to pick up their new group memberships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Landry
Oct 30, 2003
Stone Dead Forever

Erwin posted:

I think this would still give him access to network shares from that machine, no?

Couldn't you just drop him into a "Contractors" group and Deny Full Control on each file share for that group? You could script it out if you're talking about a lot of shares.

Dan Landry
Oct 30, 2003
Stone Dead Forever
Running Win7 with the classic interface just seems counterproductive to me, but to each his own.

I suppose some users are more amenable to interface changes than others, I guess it depends on personality types, etc. You'd be surprised how much the "Ohhh, pretty!" aspect of it can help ease people into it, though.

To contribute, we've run Aero since rolling out Vista. Most users prefer it, although some do still insist on the classic Start Menu. And others refuse to search for anything, even though it's a super powerful part of the OS now.

Also it just seems to run better/smoother on modern hardware. Graphics acceleration and whatnot.

The Office 2007/2010 interface was much more of a dramatic change, IMO. But people got used to it anyway. We'll be pushing out 2010 pretty soon.

Dan Landry
Oct 30, 2003
Stone Dead Forever

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

This probably came up before, but what monkeying around do I need to do to get printer drivers to install without an elevation prompting in Win7? I set the user print policy to trust our print server as a driver source and not give elevation prompts, and it works right for Vista clients, but Win7 doesn't like it. What a stupid pain in the rear end.

In order to get this to work, I had to disable the "Point and Print" restrictions on both the User and Workstation level, then use Group Policy Preferences (user context) to connect to the shared printers.

Also, make sure that the "Run in logged-on user's security context (user policy option)" option is enabled on each printer definition.

Without if configured like this, connecting to printers would stall in the background...and I'm pretty sure it was something UAC-related. It was a total pain in the rear end and required a lot of trial and error to get this working.

• Locked thread