Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mute
Jul 17, 2004

IT Guy posted:

Can I create a single GPO that looks at the M:\ Drive for the file? When I goto set it up, it wants me to choose the file which I'm scared that the second branch will download and install from branch 1's server.

I remember dealing with something similar to this--I'm sure there is a better way, but I worked around it and cheated by calling a .bat file that points to the mapped drive/executable due to lack of time to get it solved. I don't know if that would work for your specific situation, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mute
Jul 17, 2004

quackquackquack posted:

For those of you in environments where it should not be run (in my case, lab computers using an autolog account), how are you blocking things like DropBox? Group Policy Software Restriction? Firewall?

I would rather the installer not run, instead of the program not running. And I have no problem with people going to the DropBox site. Users just forget to unlink their account when they get up and leave the computer.

Software Restriction for everything in %APPDATA%\DropBox\* was one idea, but was similar to the firewall option (can't block ports) in that they can install it to a different directory, or I have to keep the file hash up to date.

Can I just ban any exe from running in %APPDATA%? Is there a reason I would want anything to run from %APPDATA%?

We rolled out (are still rolling out, rather) full whitelisting via AV product (Sophos), so nothing runs anymore (in theory) unless it's preapproved.

Before that, I'd set SRP to only allow execution from Program Files/Windows, disallowed running any executables/links from user folders.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Sounder posted:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a way to prevent users from writing to the C drive except for places I want them to write to (My Docs, Desktop)? It looks like, by default, even unprivileged users can create folders in C:\, and that just won't fly in a company where everything MUST be backed up regularly from our file servers.

I've yet to do this with complete success due to many users having local admin, but for a starting point, we do the following:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download Directory - set this to what you want the user's default directory to be

2. Admin Templates-> Windows Components -> Hide C drive from explorer (you can restrict access to it as well, but Office will complain.)

This took care of a majority of our issues with this. It doesn't take care of someone going into Docs and Settings/Users and saving in there.

mute fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 6, 2011

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Drumstick posted:

Im trying to deploy a shortcut through GPO. Im under Computer> Preferences > Shourtcuts

The targeted file is accessible to everyone, but it is not appearing on the users desktops. The GPO is getting applied to the pcs.

Do the machine accounts have access to the path/directory as well?

mute
Jul 17, 2004

psexec -s -i cmd.exe
This will open a command window as the SYSTEM account of your local test machine.

Then try to access/copy as below:
copy \\your\share\file C:\Some\Directory\path\

mute
Jul 17, 2004

IT Guy posted:

I could condense the GPOs but I find it more organized to keep certain things separate.

Condensing causes issues when one system needs one thing but not another. I re-did all the policies here and they ballooned from 20 to something close to 180 right now. But now everything is logical and predictable (at least as far as that goes) and I don't have to wonder where something is being set. And I know without having to look it up exactly what's being applied when I use GPRESULT.

And definitely, as others have said, naming is key for your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Honey Im Homme posted:

Anyone know if using %logonserver% in folder redirection is going to break anything? Think I can clear up a few gpos across a couple of our sites with this.

I think you can probably do this, with caveats (users must only authenticate to one DC, or you must have DFS sync on all the DCs, which sort of eliminates the gains from multiple sites)

Non-answer: Unless you're hurting for $$$ for a Windows license, I'd at the very least virtualize onto ESXi free and have 1 DC and 1 FS per site.

Separation is good.

• Locked thread