Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I wouldn't worry about it. There are logon scripts that do a fuckton more than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Erwin posted:

Is there a way to create or change the password for a local account on a machine through GP? The other day one of our desktop's clock was off enough to prevent logging in under a domain account and nobody knew the local administrator password (machine was set up before I got here). I'd like to standardize the local administrator account on all of my machines.

Any reason you couldn't just have a logon script that does 'net user administrator password'?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Phuzion posted:

It's insecure as hell.

Open Run

\\domaincontroller\sysvol\Domain\SCRIPTSDIR

Open the login script.

Hey, there's the local admin account password in plaintext.

It totally defeats the purpose of a password.

The way I would suggest standardizing the local administrator account password would be to use psexec and use a batch file that does the same thing.

psexec @complist.txt -u domainadmin -p password net user administrator password

That should run 'net user administrator password' over every computer listed in complist.txt in the current working directory.

Considering the local admin password can be changed with a boot disk...but yeah, psexec is a better idea.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
And you thought this thread had died!

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Drive Mappings portion of GP in Server 2008 to map a drive to a WebDAV location (specifically, a Sharepoint library)? The client is XP SP3. I've tried entering the URL, but the clients don't seem to pick it up. Standard drive mappings work fine in the GPO, and I can manually map the drive using 'net use z: http://sharepoint/library'.

Well, apparently the third time's the charm. It's working fine.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2010

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

IT Guy posted:

Our site servers are Windows XP boxes :ssh:

Username/avatar/custom title/post of the year.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

chizad posted:

Got a question about GPP drive mapping. How do clients (specifically XP) react/behave if the same share/drive letter combo is mapped multiple times via different GPOs?

I've got a user that occasionally (once every few months) loses access to one of her mapped drives; it still shows up in explorer, but when you browse to it no files/folders are displayed. If you disconnect the drive and then remap it everything goes back to normal, but eventually the problem comes back. I'm wondering if having the multiple drive maps being applied is part of the problem or if it's something else. Both preferences are using the Create action (rather than Update or Replace) and are doing inclusive drive mapping.

That sounds like more of an offline files issue. If offline files is enabled, next time that happens try forcing a sync and see if the files show up again.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

n8r posted:

I am helping set up some computers for a small tennis club that in my opinion has a network that is far too complex. I'm sure I'm missing some very simple step here and I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm not experienced with AD stuff at all, so this has been more of a learning experience than I expected.

Server 2k3
c:\users
Each user has their own subdirectory called *username* in this folder. In theory this is supposed to be a folder only the user and administrators can access. Right now if you browse the network neighborhood, you can see everyone else's files. Additionally the login script that is in place puts the new Windows 7 machines in the users\ root directory instead of their own username subfolder.

As it is configured right now each user in their profile has their home directory defined as \\server\users\username

In addition the login.bat file has a line that is:
net use h: \home (or something very close to that)

I really have been googling around for an answer to this issue, but I think I'm just not either looking in the right places or something. Thanks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274443 will get you on the right track for security. You'd have to post the login script so we can see what's going on for the Win 7 issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

KS posted:

We have a bunch of GPOs filtered by security group membership: mostly software installs, where the software install GPO is attached to the OU that contains all our computers, and the helpdesk can add the computer to a security group to install the software. It works rather well.

A very small subset of computers are not applying group policy because the computer security group membership is not refreshing on reboot. Event viewer also shows that the computer cannot contact a DC while booting, and NTP throws errors about not contacting the time server, and the NIC actually gets an APIPA address before it starts normal operation and contacts DHCP. All of this happens in the normal <30 second XP boot process.

Just wondering, has anyone run into this before?

If you're using managed switches, make sure portfast is enabled. The switch may not have the port up by the time the networking components start in Windows.

• Locked thread