Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Gozinbulx posted:

I just need to throw this out there since its a networking question:

At the network I manage, I put a computer on the domain which we use. As in, instead of having that XP screen where you click a series of pcitures representing a fixed set of users, it converted into a login prompt for a login and password.

all good.

for whatever reason (kinda stupid) I wanted to switch it back. in retrospect I think i should have just gone to my computer/properties/change ID or whatever it is and just deleted the domain name. instead i switch it to WORKGROUP and put it in some improvised name and when asked for a login, put it one from the network and for some reason it worked.

now im stuck with a login prompt that isnt for the domain and I dont seem to have any of the logins for it. everyone i tried failed, as if i were trying to login to a workgroup that has no members.

how in gods name can i get it back to something i can get into.

There are linux boot cds that will let change the password for local accounts.

This has nothing to do with group policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
Since this seems to be the Windows Admin/GPO thread, guess I'll post my question here.

I've got a majority XP environment, but have added a few Win7 machines lately - mostly because those machines have SSDs and I wanted the TRIM support. Anyway, I've been using a simply batch file for years and it works just fine on XP but the 7 machines lose all drives pretty regularly. It's set to run as a logon script inside a GPO. Here's the script:

code:
net use * /delete /y

net use i: \\servername\sharename
net use k: \\servername\sharename
net use n: \\servername\sharename
net use p: \\servername\sharename
I've searched around and apparently in 7, login batch files run with downgraded permissions. I couldn't find a good workaround online, though. Just a bunch of people with the same issue.

Anyone run into this? Have a good workaround? I don't have 7 or 2k8 on an admin machine to use the new drive mapping GPO, is that my only option?

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

sanchez posted:

Install the admin tools on one of those random 7 machines, use that to create the GPO? They're much nicer than login scripts, may as well give it to your XP people too. (install client side extensions first)

I thought of that, problem is they're all for higher ups or power users so if there's any issues with a GPO it might be tough to get in front of the 7 box due to traveling, etc.

I'll probably end up rolling a 2k8 server on our ESX box for testing out stuff like Lync that requires it, just wondering if anyone had an alternate workaround.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, you don't actually need a 2008 server to implement, them, there's a patch for XP and it's built into 7 and that's all you need.

I know that, but thanks :)

• Locked thread