Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Placed in my favorite case competition this year! Put on by Denver University, 90 percent of the team score is presentation, then 10 percent is fastest team times down a short race course in Breckenridge. The team that hosts it is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

grabulasa posted:

Submitted R2 applications for London Business School, Wharton, HBS, Kellogg, Stanford (both MBA and MSx) and Berkeley Haas. Taking a break this weekend then working on MIT Sloan that's due on Jan 22.

Now, the waiting starts. Will keep you guys posted if I get called for interviews, invites will be out by early Feb.

How did you fare?

I submitted R2 for HBS, Haas, Ross, Fuqua, Tuck, and Tepper.

Dinged by HBS and Haas, waitlisted at Tuck, admitted at Ross, Fuqua, and Tepper. 60k/year at Fuqua, 30k/year at Tepper. I have no need for the scholarship (GI Bill covers tuition) so I will likely choose Ross.

Any other R2 applicants care to share their decisions?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm curious to hear people's perspectives here. My girlfriend found our recently she got into Wharton with no scholarship, hut also got into a different top 10 school with a full ride. Obviously this is an amazing position to be in, but makes the choice tougher. Whartons a better school objectively, but for long term career prospects is it worth $150k?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What does she want to do? Her aspirations post-school would be a factor.

Is there a big reason to prefer wharton or the other school not directly related to the school itself? Family or location or anything? Stuff unique to her and not quantifiable.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Yeah, it really depends on what her career aspirations are. What's her financial situation? There are also scholarship options outside of the school that she can probably apply to to offset the cost a bit (think Women in Business, etc.)

If she really wants to go finance or banking (and doesn't mind the debt) then she really can't beat Wharton. Personally, I would go the debt-free route since the other school is a top 10 anyway but that's me.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah shes more interested in general management, marketing, tech, etc so she is leaning towards the other school because of the money. It's just hard to turn down Wharton when it's the dream for so many people haha

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Well what's the other school? Wharton can always call the next person on the waiting list.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
from the best of my knowledge outcomes within tiers overlap quite a bit. So if shes ambivalent and they're in the same tier - money could reasonably be a factor in choice.

I'm saying ambivalent because she isn't attached to Wharton or Wharton's strengths in job/industry.

To me its nice not to have a debt obligation while recruiting. Can prioritize other more satisfying things or take risks because you're not staring down that debt.

However, you only get one chance and it stays with you your entire life. Wharton is a name brand in a way some other top 10 schools are not (at least in my opinion). Its hard to quantify that value but it can matter.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Quandary posted:

I'm curious to hear people's perspectives here. My girlfriend found our recently she got into Wharton with no scholarship, hut also got into a different top 10 school with a full ride. Obviously this is an amazing position to be in, but makes the choice tougher. Whartons a better school objectively, but for long term career prospects is it worth $150k?

I'd say go with the free one. You could look at what the difference is in average grad salaries and do a net present value vs the debt... I'm guessing the free one is the way to go at that point.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

How high does she want to go? The educations would likely be similar. The social signifiers and alumni networks are not. As a undergrad I went to one of the Federal Military Academies, merely having done that gets one in the door. The education at the state school equivalents and ROTC programs was nearly identical or in some cases better. But doors I got to walk through, easily, professionally they'd have to beat on and it would take a great deal of effort to get to the same place for them. Quantifying that is very hard. But it's like being an A-list actor instead of B-list actor. It's the question of privilege.

Does she want the chance to buy privilege?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Quandary posted:

why not mention what the other school is?

Would you say your girlfriend is a really aggressive go-getter type? Like someone who could potentially be a CFO of a company? Someone who would work 100 hours a week at an investment bank? If that's her personality and aspirations then go to Wharton. If not, it doesn't matter.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks for everyone's input; the other school is Michigan Ross for the record. She is leaning towards Ross as her ambition isn't really to rule the world and be a CEO and make millions so much as it is to have a good job and comfortable life. In that sense, I think the delta between the two educations is much more marginal and makes the money a bigger factor. However, we are going to Wharton admit weekend just to see if that changes anyone's mind.

All things considered, not a bad problem to have however.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Fwiw cities in that area seem to do well in quality of life surveys. So if y'all like that area, something to consider as it negates some of the difference in name.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Quandary posted:

Thanks for everyone's input; the other school is Michigan Ross for the record. She is leaning towards Ross as her ambition isn't really to rule the world and be a CEO and make millions so much as it is to have a good job and comfortable life. In that sense, I think the delta between the two educations is much more marginal and makes the money a bigger factor. However, we are going to Wharton admit weekend just to see if that changes anyone's mind.

All things considered, not a bad problem to have however.

Ross and Wharton are equally ranked for marketing coursework, FWIW. I'm leaning towards Ross myself, so PM me if y'all decide to go there. My fiancee and I would love to connect if/when we both arrive.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

TK_421 posted:

How did you fare?

I submitted R2 for HBS, Haas, Ross, Fuqua, Tuck, and Tepper.

Dinged by HBS and Haas, waitlisted at Tuck, admitted at Ross, Fuqua, and Tepper. 60k/year at Fuqua, 30k/year at Tepper. I have no need for the scholarship (GI Bill covers tuition) so I will likely choose Ross.

Any other R2 applicants care to share their decisions?

Great results, congrats on your admit!!!

Dinged by Wharton, Haas and Stanford MBA. Dinged after interview by Kellogg.

Admitted at HBS, LBS and Stanford MSx. Waiting for MIT Sloan now but it's gonna be hard to say no to HBS :)

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

grabulasa posted:

Great results, congrats on your admit!!!

Dinged by Wharton, Haas and Stanford MBA. Dinged after interview by Kellogg.

Admitted at HBS, LBS and Stanford MSx. Waiting for MIT Sloan now but it's gonna be hard to say no to HBS :)

Awesome, 'grats to you as well!

This whole process seems so random to me: admitted by HBS and LBS but dinged by those others without interview? It definitely seems like a dice roll in many ways.

I paid my deposit for Ross and am so excited that I can barely concentrate at work now. Good luck with your decision, but like you said: advantage certainly goes to HBS.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
MBA job offers seem to go the same way re: randomness

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

TK_421 posted:

Awesome, 'grats to you as well!

This whole process seems so random to me: admitted by HBS and LBS but dinged by those others without interview? It definitely seems like a dice roll in many ways.

I paid my deposit for Ross and am so excited that I can barely concentrate at work now. Good luck with your decision, but like you said: advantage certainly goes to HBS.

Haha, I do have my own theories as to why I got dinged/accepted. I thought the quality of my application was quite uniform across the board but I guess different schools are looking for different things. It's all a crapshoot really.

Have fun rockin it up at Ann Arbor!!!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The MBA appears to be slowly dying because they have priced tuition too high

quote:

The University of Illinois' Gies College of Business has become the latest school to announce that it is getting out of the full-time, on-campus MBA market. Instead, Gies will focus more aggressively on its online MBA option, the $22,000 iMBA, which has seen big growth since being launched in 2015 (see Illinois To End Full- And Part-Time MBA Programs On Campus).

Why is Gies giving up on its full-time MBA? For one thing, the school admits it is losing money on the program. While it may surprise many observers given how high tuition rates are for MBA programs, many of these programs are actually loss leaders or "show" programs to get a U.S. News ranking. Secondly, applications to most MBA programs have been declining for years, evidence that there is less interest in the degree.

Just look at the numbers at the University of Illinois' full-time MBA, ranked in the top 50 by U.S. News. Applications to Gies' full-time program fell to 290 this year from 386 in 2016. The school actually enrolled fewer than 50 full-time students in each of the past three years. Even when apps were nearly 100 higher in 2016, Gies was only able to enroll a class of 47 students.

There are a surprising number of schools in this same predicament. They have sub-optimally sized programs that cannot support the expenses required to deliver a quality program. And that is why we have seen a number of schools drop out of the full-time MBA market. The list includes the Univesity of Iowa, Wake Forest University, Thunderbird School of Global Management, Virginia Tech, and Simmons College.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/poetsandquants/2019/05/26/why-business-schools-are-shutting-down-their-mba-programs/

I wonder how much this will extend to other programs and undergrads degrees as tuition becomes increasingly out of reach for anyone but the rich.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Seems to me that the roi just isn't there for a lot of these places and people are realizing it. Particularly full time where you can't offset any of the cost.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Xguard86 posted:

Seems to me that the roi just isn't there for a lot of these places and people are realizing it. Particularly full time where you can't offset any of the cost.

thats because there are less than 10 schools in the world where going full time has real value. I cant believe people were going full time to so many of these places what the hell

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Time posted:

thats because there are less than 10 schools in the world where going full time has real value.

ROI of an MBA program is not only related to brand name. It depends just as much on the participant's motivations and determination. It's certainly not binary enough to make a statement like that.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sits on Pilster posted:

ROI of an MBA program is not only related to brand name. It depends just as much on the participant's motivations and determination. It's certainly not binary enough to make a statement like that.

its absolutely binary enough to say "all but a few top schools are not worth 2 years of given up income + 250k in expenses" and tons of data has backed this up

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Please enlighten us

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Name a tier 2 school where it wouldn’t be better to do their part time program rather than give up 500k

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I can't because there are too many variables involved, specific to the individual participant. This is my point. Your assumption that all non-top 10 full-time programs cost $250k and all participants would be foregoing $250k of compensation by enrolling is a gross generalization.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Going to a program like Carroll full time will actually hurt you in the recruiting process vs someone who went part time and got two years of experience in a field. The latter is getting an interview at Bain, the former is not. Also 500k is a conservative npv estimate for accepted applicants at places like this, most assumptions have it north of 750k

There are certainly outliers to this but it’s a small percentage of full time people at these type of schools. Which is why there has been a contraction in both these types of programs and the recruiting that goes on there

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

What's the 500/750? Lifetime earnings?

Edit: oh tuition plus salary. Idk seems high but I think the point is good that you need to be really intentional about this degree

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Imma go with 750k being a bogus loving number lmao

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It’s just a tvm calc for the opportunity cost of definitely giving up money to maybe in the future recoup that money, relative to the cost of going to a part time program. If this is hard not even a full time program with domodaran will save you

edit: this was very flippant and I apologize. to be less of a dick about it I want to take a cost thats reasonable for the amount of salary given up for two years + tuition and expenses above what would be needed to live if someone didn't take the full time program. I'll use 200k as this number. What do you think the value of this money is assuming a decent ROI over the relavent timeframe of a career. What do you think that money is worth then? Using any reasonable inputs it is well north of 500k. Will future increased earnings also reinvested make up that cost? maybe. Will future earnings above what a part time program would have gotten as an increase be worth that additional cost? less likely

Time fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 1, 2019

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Time posted:

It’s just a tvm calc for the opportunity cost of definitely giving up money to maybe in the future recoup that money, relative to the cost of going to a part time program. If this is hard not even a full time program with domodaran will save you

edit: this was very flippant and I apologize. to be less of a dick about it I want to take a cost thats reasonable for the amount of salary given up for two years + tuition and expenses above what would be needed to live if someone didn't take the full time program. I'll use 200k as this number. What do you think the value of this money is assuming a decent ROI over the relavent timeframe of a career. What do you think that money is worth then? Using any reasonable inputs it is well north of 500k. Will future increased earnings also reinvested make up that cost? maybe. Will future earnings above what a part time program would have gotten as an increase be worth that additional cost? less likely

The median salary increase post-mba is something around 70-80%. Figuring that in, a lot of MBA candidates are seeing a positive ROI after ~5 years. If you get scholarship, company sponsorship, or otherwise don't pay tuition (GI Bill, etc) the positive ROI can kick in as soon as 2-3 years.

This is all for a top 15-25 (minimum) full-time program, of course.

Edit: clarity

TK_421 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 6, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pushing my applications back another year. Gonna be applying at 30, starting at 31 and graduating at 33, but past that probably don’t want to push any further. My job is actually very not-bad, but I just don’t see a j-curve in my future here.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
The other thing about the U Illinois one in particular is that you have both Booth and Kellogg 2.5 hours north in an actual city, and those both have evening/weekend options as well which would make far more sense to do even if you lived in Champaign. Not suprised that their program wasn't sustainable, those two schools pull students from all over the Midwest.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

TK_421 posted:

The median salary increase post-mba is something around 70-80%. Figuring that in, a lot of MBA candidates are seeing a positive ROI after ~5 years. If you get scholarship, company sponsorship, or otherwise don't pay tuition (GI Bill, etc) the positive ROI can kick in as soon as 2-3 years.

This is all for a top 15-25 (minimum) full-time program, of course.

Edit: clarity

Yeah I was gonna effort post and actually do the math, but my situation was:
Before school, 70k base salary with a little OT.

Two year full time program where I worked as a research assistant so that covered base tuition and gave me a monthly stipend of 1.2k. Also interned over the summer for three months making something in the 25-30k range. So not really 'losing' money here, just kinda treading water.

Post-graduation job is 150k base salary, 25k signing bonus, and annual performance bonus starts at 40k, which (assuming I net the annual bonus) means I almost tripled my gross pay.

Not bad for a program in the 25-30 range. Now I get the argument is that I could've done part time. However, my past job had a lot of travel so that wasn't possible, I would've had to actually pay for school, it would've taken longer, and it would have been much, much harder to switch to a new field without having the internship and much less time to apply/interview.

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016
I am going into my last term as an MBA student. Luckily it is being paid for because I work at the university. I currently work in advancement (fundraising), but I am trying to branch out to make more $$. I have looked into management consulting, but everyone keeps telling me how hard it is to get into a good consulting company. I live in a big city (Philly) so there are a lot of large companies in the area. I cannot move because I am married with two young children (under 5).

Which conferences would you suggest attending for job placement opportunities? Any tips for job hunting in my last semester? I'm so happy that I'll be finished soon.

If anyone has questions about applying, and b-school itself, ask away.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

politicomama posted:

I am going into my last term as an MBA student. Luckily it is being paid for because I work at the university. I currently work in advancement (fundraising), but I am trying to branch out to make more $$. I have looked into management consulting, but everyone keeps telling me how hard it is to get into a good consulting company. I live in a big city (Philly) so there are a lot of large companies in the area. I cannot move because I am married with two young children (under 5).

Which conferences would you suggest attending for job placement opportunities? Any tips for job hunting in my last semester? I'm so happy that I'll be finished soon.

Your MBA school career center should be helping you with this if it is a halfway-decent MBA program.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I'm sure you've considered this, but management consulting almost certainly means you won't be seeing your young family most of the time. Obviously everyone's different, but I was in a similar situation with this option on the table and am very happy that I went in a different direction.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

politicomama posted:

Consulting recruits hard from top 25 (esp. top 10) programs. If you fall in that range you can end up somewhere decent, even if you don't make it into MBB. I while caution against though, as others said, due to work life balance concerns.

What industries recruit a lot of grads from your program? If you're full time, there should be plenty of company presentations to help judge your circumstances.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Does your spouse work? Think carefully about whether you're OK with being on the road 4 days per week with children that age (because that is the standard at most firms, even when based in a large city). No judgment, but I personally won't continue this career when I have kids.

Edit: At the risk of having this post sound like a total jackass, I'm happy to chat about it if you're interested. I just want to share the blunt truth, because recruiters might not.

antiga fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016

Mandalay posted:

Your MBA school career center should be helping you with this if it is a halfway-decent MBA program.

I actually reached out to them and they have been really helpful.