Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016

antiga posted:

Does your spouse work? Think carefully about whether you're OK with being on the road 4 days per week with children that age (because that is the standard at most firms, even when based in a large city). No judgment, but I personally won't continue this career when I have kids.

Edit: At the risk of having this post sound like a total jackass, I'm happy to chat about it if you're interested. I just want to share the blunt truth, because recruiters might not.

My spouse does work and he is used to my current traveling schedule. This is the one thing that is deterring me. I have a friend in management consulting who has young kids and he hates it, but it is all he's known and the $$ is good.

I also think it is different for a woman (which is also a deterrent). Being a young mother with a job away from home 4 days a week isnt a good look. I'm away from home a lot already because I'm a fundraiser. I get all the time "what do you do with your kids, what does your husband do"? .... "ugh, I leave them in a dog crate?" haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I wrote a long effort post about the struggle I have with deciding whether or not I want to go into MC and what is helping me make the decision (not to), so if you want to hear that story I can share, but looking back that didn't exactly jump out from your posts so I'll can it.

I went to school in Boston but live some distance outside of the city, so really I've been on my own in applying to jobs post-MBA. If I was in the city, probably the only other novel thing I could think of is reach out to your professors. A lot of them consult with companies in the area, so they should have the inside scoop on what some good ones are.

As for the $$ thing, I have been staying in my industry (defense/aerospace) and have found that my MBA has helped during interviews in some specific things I've done, but in general the industry doesn't really attribute a hard value to it over core skills, so if you want that "MBA bonus" make sure you consider how much the industry itself values them.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Just took the GMAT today. I expected to get 650-700 with an instant cancel since I got 680-690 across 6 practice tests. I just wanted to eliminate the top 10 MBA -> finance option and go back to my comfortable life in a tier 2/3 strategy & implementation consulting shop with an 'at least I gave it a shot'.

But they went and gave me a 760, so I guess I'm obligated to keep shooting..

Do I have a fair chance of getting into Stanford / HBS / Wharton with my profile?

I'm pretty confident that these points are fine:
-Singaporean male
-3 years work ex in strategy consulting (CDDs in Healthcare / Tech, growth strat and implementation across CPR in Asia and the Middle East, one PMI) come 1/2020, 3.5 including a 6 month internship post graduation in PE when I was figuring out wtf to do with my life - I'm planning to apply for 2022 intake cause I definitely didn't plan to need to get all my application ducks in order by this year

But I'm a little concerned about these bits:
- I turned 30 this year, 3 years older than HBS' average; partly because of my country's mandatory 2-year conscription but mostly because I chose to do a complete my degree in 4 years (additional major plus honors) instead of 2 (course credits) at a middling (~100 ranked globally) Australian uni so 2 more sweet years waking and baking. My GPA was 3.9 but every academic transcript before this reflects the ADHD addled under achiever I was; I plan to be open about this in my essays / interviews because a minute in a room with me and you'll know I was never close to valedictorian; majors were in political science & IR, and economics
- I've done some rando volunteer experience (Habitat for Humanity plus usual poo poo they make you do in school), but I'm not really inclined to start volunteering regularly just to put it on my CV, feels dishonest and a little wanky

My goal is to get out MC (too much BS masquerading as analysis, google search results as customized advice, no stake in the outcome) into something where what I do has more immediate and tangible value, but without the routine of industry, hence MBA to finance (PE / VC / hedge fund)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Don't worry about age, you're in range and have a good reason.

I don't think anyone is a lock for any one of the m7, especially hbs and Stanford. So you might as well try them plus some set of other good schools you align with.

Also I think your voice in the post above is good. Humility is in short supply sometimes in MC and business schools. So maybe a helpful aspect in interviewing and essays

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 28, 2019

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think you have a very realistic shot for a HSW school, though as xguard mentioned there's never a guarantee. Happy to look over essays if you are interested, feel free to PM me.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks guys! Yeah I did do some googling and someone estimated HBS's acceptance rate at 760 to be 12% so by no means do I think scores are even >50% weighted in the admissions process past whatever typical bar they have internally.

Will post updates when I start the journey, and thank you Quandary for the offer- might take you up on it :)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'll likely be starting an MBA next year. Online, either University of Florida or FIU. Paid for via job stuff. As far as I'm aware, these are pretty good schools but not the best ever. But also, the only way an MBA is happening with me is online and I need to keep working in the mean time. Are there any red flags I'm not aware of about this kind of program/these places? I'll be doing a track that takes slightly more than 2 years, alternating between 2 and 1 classes every 8 weeks. How intense is this kind of thing, in ya'lls experience? What kind of hours do these classes tend to take to do well if you are historically good at classes?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Are you doing it to move up where you're at?

The ROI for unranked online is pretty low. Even if someone else is footing tuition, you're doing the work and you can only get one degree.

It makes sense if there's an explicit promotion waiting or there's a company supported path this is part of. I would be hesitant to recommend without one.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I did my mangement degree online only (it was an MS not an MBA). I ranged from 2 classes at a time to a full load while working. Depends on how much you've got going on and your ability.

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016
I am finishing my MBA and now my husband is applying to programs. I chose my program because I work at a university, so I helping my husband with the application process.

He has an undergrad 3.18 GPA, MS in Information Systems technology GPA 3.9 and will be taking the GRE in a few weeks because his original scores expired a few years ago. Will the 3.18 GPA really hurt him even though he has a graduate degree GPA of 3.9?

We live in the Philly area and he is looking at temple, Penn State, Villanova. I want him to branch out and look at better schools, but it is hard unless they have an online program. He is pretty bright and I would love for him to get into wharton, but a 3.18 GPA doesn't look good.

He also has 14 years of work experience.

Does he have a shot at a top tier school? Im pretty sure he can get into temple, penn state and villanova, but I would like for him to try for a better school.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

What is the goal you are trying to achieve by having him go to a higher tier school? And does he have that same goal?

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016

Crazyweasel posted:

What is the goal you are trying to achieve by having him go to a higher tier school? And does he have that same goal?

He really doesn't care where he goes, but he's smart, so I think he should take advantage.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
If he doesn't care where he goes then I'd have to ask why he's going in the first place? What's his goal?

politicomama
Feb 12, 2016

The Big Jesus posted:

If he doesn't care where he goes then I'd have to ask why he's going in the first place? What's his goal?

He is the dir. of IT at a local government and he's trying to get a better job at a larger organization. He is the only IT person and lacks management experience.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
The higher tier schools Are gonna put a lot more weight on the “prestige” of your current job than your undergrad gpa

Edit; not implying his job is poo poo or Whatever just saying that would be a bigger hurdle than the gpa

Vomik fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 21, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Working on Round 3 applications for top MBA programs. I've got a 680 GMAT score but I'm hoping my profile will be strong enough to overcome that, wish me luck goons.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

CharlestonJew posted:

Working on Round 3 applications for top MBA programs. I've got a 680 GMAT score but I'm hoping my profile will be strong enough to overcome that, wish me luck goons.

Good luck! My first 6 months have been incredible; you're going to get into a good school and love it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I’m doing an MBA through AGSM (Australia) and looking at exchange options to do three months at a b school in the US. Has anyone done an exchange like this or does anyone in the US have any views of how exchange students are treated? I’m looking at NYU Stern or Kellogg, but there are some other options too. Curious on people’s view of the value of the experience vs the costs.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Got an interview with UVA today, wish me luck goons

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
You got this. I think an interesting question to them would be what they've done from a career services standpoint with helping students who have lost internships due to this covid situation.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Big Jesus posted:

You got this. I think an interesting question to them would be what they've done from a career services standpoint with helping students who have lost internships due to this covid situation.

Ah that would have been a good question, I asked something similar, just in a more general sense of what the college is doing in response to this whole mess, like other colleges are allowing students to take classes after their graduation as a consolation.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
update on my current status:

Rejected by Columbia
Waitlisted by UVA
Currently waiting for a response on the other 2 schools I applied to
Accepted by Cornell :toot:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice! Quarantine would be a good time for me to start studying for my GMAT again.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Read all your posts, took the GMAT in January, got accepted to a part time program in March, and start my first class Tuesday. 100% paid for through work.

13 years of work history and a 640 GMAT offset my 2.7 undergrad GPA.

Thanks thread.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 25, 2020

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Was originally planning to apply for next Spring but due to COVID-19, the school I had in mind extended application deadlines to July.
Now I'm out here trying to cram for the GMAT (SAT flashbacks) and get a decent score to offset my lower undergrad GPA as well (3.0). I don't have nearly as much work history but a good 5-6 years. Do schools take into account the details of your work history? My current employer is a pretty big tech company so any brownie points would be nice.
It's not a super prestigious school (probably like top 25 for MBA) so hoping my chances are decent.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

hmmxkrazee posted:

Was originally planning to apply for next Spring but due to COVID-19, the school I had in mind extended application deadlines to July.
Now I'm out here trying to cram for the GMAT (SAT flashbacks) and get a decent score to offset my lower undergrad GPA as well (3.0). I don't have nearly as much work history but a good 5-6 years. Do schools take into account the details of your work history? My current employer is a pretty big tech company so any brownie points would be nice.
It's not a super prestigious school (probably like top 25 for MBA) so hoping my chances are decent.

They definitely do take the details into account. When I went back to my top 25 program I was a similar situation as you. 6 years work experience, 2.8 undergrad GPA (at one of the top engineering schools, but still). Just do well on the gmat and interview prep and you'll be alright.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

They most def do. Big names are always nice but not mandatory. What is important is showing progression and a through-line. By that I mean promotions, leading projects or job changes that have an upward trajectory.

The higher the tier of school the more impressive the WE will probably be but that pattern applies everywhere.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Thirding that work history is very important. Your essays and interviews will focus a lot on that, stories of times at work where you've demonstrated x concept or value

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Thanks for the replies all. I'm applying for the part-time professional track so no interview but will make sure to nail the essay and GMAT.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CharlestonJew posted:

Thirding that work history is very important. Your essays and interviews will focus a lot on that, stories of times at work where you've demonstrated x concept or value

Got anywhere I can read about getting in to and succeeding at top MBA programs (HBS, Sloan) as a working adult mostly on resume?

I have an an engineering MS and a decent resume that I can sell well (engineer @ two prestigious previous employers, currently CEO of a YC startup). I'll prob do meh on the GMAT. I've thought about an MBA for years and I feel like I'm learning a lot of lessons in my startup the hard way where some more formal training in running a company would benefit the company a lot.

I'm curious to know how people expect programs like that to weigh options and whether they'd be in my reach given I already have a masters and a decent amount of experience with a good resume.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

There's a lot of resources but first: why get an MBA? It's important for the application but also something to ask yourself.

You've got what sounds like the makings for a top applicant but also sounds like an MBA wouldn't necessarily do much for you?

A lot of what is taught in the class you can learn for free or for way less time/$$$. You might even consider part time or an executive program so you can keep working.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xguard86 posted:

There's a lot of resources but first: why get an MBA? It's important for the application but also something to ask yourself.

You've got what sounds like the makings for a top applicant but also sounds like an MBA wouldn't necessarily do much for you?

A lot of what is taught in the class you can learn for free or for way less time/$$$. You might even consider part time or an executive program so you can keep working.

I would def need to keep working. Logical reason is really the one I posted, I feel like I'm making mistakes that people who are running their first company make. While we're fortunate enough to have raised money to cover them I really want to shake the 1 year ago me sometimes. The part that interests me outside of that though would like to understand more about sales, marketing, accounting and value investing in securities.

Sure I could read the intelligent investor and follow a bunch of quickbooks tutorials but I dont get to causually name drop which school I went to at parties where no one cares or asked.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 4, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You are a candidate for part time or executive since what you're describing is what people in those programs are there to do.

Full-time wouldn't work w/ running your biz and TBH you're past the point where you'd get a return unless you wanted a specific pivot like consulting or finance.

Part time cares less about gmat gpa and more about work experience. You're also more bound by geo since it's unlikely you move for a PT program. Fewer maybe 0 international applicants too.

All that adds up to a generally less competitive app process because the potential pool is much smaller.

If you post schools you're interested in or just like what city you're in we can probably give you a short list. Not all schools offer part time too, FYI.

My background:

I am a graduate of a t20 part time program and had the same idea regarding learning more faster and sprinkling a little prestige on my name. Without giving up my good job or 2 years of pay. I also work in tech but not in SF or startups.

I enjoyed my experience. Learned things, made some true friends, even switched to a better job at a great company (luck).

Make sure you aren't expecting too much or overcommitting with class + a demanding job. MBA is not hard especially if you don't need a good gpa but it takes time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xguard86 posted:

You are a candidate for part time or executive since what you're describing is what people in those programs are there to do.
Full-time wouldn't work w/ running your biz
You're also more bound by geo since it's unlikely you move for a PT program. Not all schools offer part time too, FYI.

If you post schools you're interested in or just like what city you're in we can probably give you a short list. Not all schools offer part time too, FYI.

I haven't done much research as I'm basically kicking tires here, but there aren't any schools worth going to within 5 hrs driving distance of me. Ideally I'd figure out a way to make HBS, Stanford or Sloan work. Mass is a 3hr flight for me so...distance learning would be best if possible.

In my imagination, the most likely scenarios where having an MBA matters for me are:
1) I do much better as a leader of my current company
2) I want to raise a lot of money in a priced round,
3) I start another company and want to raise money for it.
4) Company flatlines, I say gently caress it I want a regular job again but at a much higher pay and title than what I used to do or I become a *shudders* consultant

IMO:
In scenario 1, name doesn't matter as much as a good school.
In scenario 2 school name and having an MBA is helpful and can prob give a decent bump to the valuation, terms and my job security when I start having a real board.
In 3 its super important.
In 4 it depends on the job but it can be the difference between getting me in to an interview and not for certain high competition jobs.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 4, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

I haven't done much research as I'm basically kicking tires here, but there aren't any schools worth going to within 5 hrs driving distance of me. Ideally I'd figure out a way to make HBS, Stanford or Sloan work. Mass is a 3hr flight for me so...distance learning would be best if possible.

In my imagination, the most likely scenarios where having an MBA matters for me are:
1) I do much better as a leader of my current company
2) I want to raise a lot of money in a priced round,
3) I start another company and want to raise money for it.
4) Company flatlines, I say gently caress it I want a regular job again but at a much higher pay and title than what I used to do or I become a *shudders* consultant

IMO:
In scenario 1, name doesn't matter as much as a good school.
In scenario 2 school name and having an MBA is helpful and can prob give a decent bump to the valuation, terms and my job security when I start having a real board.
In 3 its super important.
In 4 it depends on the job but it can be the difference between getting me in to an interview and not for certain high competition jobs.

Well, you're in a tricky spot. Let's first get out of the way: Harvard and Stanford don't offer PT programs. MIT has an executive MBA but not distance.

Here is a list of top PT programs to give an idea what's out there: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/part-time-rankings

It generally matches the FT list although you'll notice some of the very top are not present since they are FT only.

Rankings are nebulous, PT rankings even more, so don't get too caught up in number 6 vs number 8. It's generally best to bucket MBA programs in loose tiers:

M7: top 7 schools, this is an actual group. Like these 7 schools are an association and share information. It's what you'd expect, Harvard, Stanford, Wharton etc.

Top 15 (sometimes top 20): really great schools about equal to m7 at the upper end. Still great for anything that isn't hedge fund, PE or like special unicorn 1% poo poo. A lot of the top PT programs are here since m7 is more FT only.

People love to debate where the line is between 10 15 and 20 but generally it's close enough to treat these as a group.

The rest: sometimes people distinguish top 50 but TBH now you're looking way more at a city or particular employer to see a return. Very easy to waste your money and time but not always a mistake.

Not to be too bougie but for PT: around rank 10 is where I don't recognize most of the schools and those I do it's because they're in my region.

Second: I would not recommend an online program. Most top schools don't offer them and I doubt you get much value from those that do, given what you're looking for in the degree.

Your school's brand and network is pretty determinate to success for all but scenario number 1, which again could be some accounting classes at a community college and some online finance courses.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Got anywhere I can read about getting in to and succeeding at top MBA programs (HBS, Sloan) as a working adult mostly on resume?

I have an an engineering MS and a decent resume that I can sell well (engineer @ two prestigious previous employers, currently CEO of a YC startup). I'll prob do meh on the GMAT. I've thought about an MBA for years and I feel like I'm learning a lot of lessons in my startup the hard way where some more formal training in running a company would benefit the company a lot.

I'm curious to know how people expect programs like that to weigh options and whether they'd be in my reach given I already have a masters and a decent amount of experience with a good resume.

Find Subjunctive on these here forums and PM them with your story.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Another thing you may want to consider is if you want the ability to transition from a part time to a full time program as a hedge against your company's volatility. Where this can be important is with some schools, part time/evening/executive students get little help from career services as they're expected to keep their jobs, but full timers get a lot of help/access to jobs.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 4, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

True. My program was big on unity so I had access to everything a FT student could do but I know some are very siloed.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

crazypeltast52 posted:

Find Subjunctive on these here forums and PM them with your story.

Why who they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I officially accepted the Cornell offer a few days ago, time to start my 2 year transformation into the bad guy from Robocop