Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
Currently at FAANG in a finance data infrastructure role. Currently into Wharton and was denied a deferral to next year. Want to get more into the strategy side of things - either via consulting or an internal strategy role at another company other than my current one. Should I enroll this year? COVID’s job market scares me to death, and my current role is secure but is slowly making me into a miserable person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jhoge posted:

Currently at FAANG in a finance data infrastructure role. Currently into Wharton and was denied a deferral to next year. Want to get more into the strategy side of things - either via consulting or an internal strategy role at another company other than my current one. Should I enroll this year? COVID’s job market scares me to death, and my current role is secure but is slowly making me into a miserable person.

Why wouldn't you enroll this year?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

CarForumPoster posted:

Got anywhere I can read about getting in to and succeeding at top MBA programs (HBS, Sloan) as a working adult mostly on resume?

I have an an engineering MS and a decent resume that I can sell well (engineer @ two prestigious previous employers, currently CEO of a YC startup). I'll prob do meh on the GMAT. I've thought about an MBA for years and I feel like I'm learning a lot of lessons in my startup the hard way where some more formal training in running a company would benefit the company a lot.

I'm curious to know how people expect programs like that to weigh options and whether they'd be in my reach given I already have a masters and a decent amount of experience with a good resume.

Your background is fairly similar to mine. I did part time at Booth, PM me if you'd like to talk about it. My opinion is that the work experience would be a definite plus as in spite of their entrepreneurship focus lately they could still use more people who know how to actually build things.

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
Edit: double post

Jhoge fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 10, 2020

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Why wouldn't you enroll this year?

Three general reasons:
1. I have (roughly) the same current total comp of folks I see coming into my company in similar roles with MBAs. I’d guess I have a 50% chance of promotion early next year (but in the same role, with the same responsibilities).
2. I’m worried about internships next summer given the job market.
3. COVID is going to make fall semester very tough and go - I’d be surprised if we make it more than a month with “hybrid” classes before just going all virtual.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jhoge posted:

Three general reasons:
1. I have (roughly) the same current total comp of folks I see coming into my company in similar roles with MBAs. I’d guess I have a 50% chance of promotion early next year (but in the same role, with the same responsibilities).
2. I’m worried about internships next summer given the job market.
3. COVID is going to make fall semester very tough and go - I’d be surprised if we make it more than a month with “hybrid” classes before just going all virtual.

I dont have an MBA and was in here asking about one but this seems like really short term thinking to me. Next semester can go all virtual, you'll still get an MBA and still start racking up relevant working years post MBA. Youre at FAANG so whatever comes next youre an exFAANG {{job_title}} with an MBA and X years experience. AKA a primo candidate. Your next promotion may come externally. Your total comp RN isn't very relvant. Its whether you expect an MBA to help with that in the future (if total comp is a key goal for you.)

If you have FAANG work experience and an MBA why are you saying the word internship?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If he wants to pivot to strategy he'll def need the internship. Both to prove experience and because most offers go to returning interns.

It's pretty unlikely your roi from a purely $ pov is going to be great. Two years of lost wages + tuition to get prob your same pay. You can model it yourself and see.

However, if you don't like your field, then maybe it's worth it to find more satisfaction. There's also hard to quantify long term benefits via network and school prestige.

Dollars aside I think you'd regret not doing it versus say graduating and having to get a other finance job.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 10, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CarForumPoster posted:

If you have FAANG work experience and an MBA why are you saying the word internship?

It is normal (and basically required) for full time MBAs to do an internship between their first and second years.

Jhoge, if you want to go strategy I suggest you recruit for bigfirm consulting. That process usually starts right when your first year starts.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Coming out of Wharton + tech experience will make you a great candidate for strategy consulting if you want to try that. Post-MBA total comp ranges from $165-230ish (skewed by top firms) but can grow quickly if you stick with it.

Whether that comp justifies the cost, time, and risk/uncertainty of attendance is a trickier question.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Anyone have an opinion on EA vs GMAT for EMBA admissions?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

CarForumPoster posted:

I dont have an MBA and was in here asking about one but this seems like really short term thinking to me. Next semester can go all virtual, you'll still get an MBA and still start racking up relevant working years post MBA. Youre at FAANG so whatever comes next youre an exFAANG {{job_title}} with an MBA and X years experience. AKA a primo candidate. Your next promotion may come externally. Your total comp RN isn't very relvant. Its whether you expect an MBA to help with that in the future (if total comp is a key goal for you.)

Please don’t give advice if you have no idea of how things work

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I completely forgot I signed up for the online GMAT until the reminder email 48 hours before. I rushed horribly on the quant because in the one practice exam I took the day before I ran out of time on the section.

Scored 720 based on 96th percentile verbal 57th percentile quant.

Should I retake it in a month and study up? I'm very certain I could raise that quant into the 95th percentile if I got my pacing right.

But 720 is also above median for the program I'm looking at... so good enough? I'm well above the median on all other admissions measures as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
720 is pretty good. Common wisdom is that once you're over 700 there's less marginal gain for raising your gmat versus other areas like putting in some volunteer hours or something.

How's the rest of your profile? GPA on target?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is normal (and basically required) for full time MBAs to do an internship between their first and second years.

Jhoge, if you want to go strategy I suggest you recruit for bigfirm consulting. That process usually starts right when your first year starts.
Out of curiosity, is this an American thing? I'm up in Canada and when I did my MBA there was no internship (suggested or otherwise) between first and second year, but all the schools wanted several years of full time work experience before they considered you.

edit - wow I didn't realize this post was from July, sorry about that.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 6, 2020

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

720 is pretty good. Common wisdom is that once you're over 700 there's less marginal gain for raising your gmat versus other areas like putting in some volunteer hours or something.

How's the rest of your profile? GPA on target?

Vitals:
3.73 GPA Bachelor of Arts from University of Washington (sociology)
11 years experience; 6 years consulting, 5 years industry
Current title: Director of Analytics, 206k base salary, two direct reports and two matrix reports

My main worry is that while 720 is fine, the 57th percentile quant is not.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I've never had them ask beyond the overall score. I got a 700 first try which I heard was good enough to not get you eliminated from anywhere so that was good enough for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Out of curiosity, is this an American thing? I'm up in Canada and when I did my MBA there was no internship (suggested or otherwise) between first and second year, but all the schools wanted several years of full time work experience before they considered you.

edit - wow I didn't realize this post was from July, sorry about that.

I can only speak to America so yes, an American thing. Most MBA programs in the US also encourage several full years of work experience. What did you do in the summer between first and second year?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can only speak to America so yes, an American thing. Most MBA programs in the US also encourage several full years of work experience. What did you do in the summer between first and second year?
I took classes. Most (all?) Canadian MBA programs have a summer semester which is identical to the fall and winter semesters. You’re encouraged, but not required, to take classes during the summer. Most MBAs do that and graduate in 16 months instead of 24.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 7, 2020

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Mr. Apollo posted:

I took classes. Most (all?) Canadian MBA programs have a summer semester which is identical to the fall and winter semesters. You’re encouraged, but not required, to take classes during the summer. Most MBAs do that and graduate in 20 months instead of 24.

Full time programs also last about 20 months here. Sept-May for year 1, then intern for a few months, then Sept-may to finish up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Big Jesus posted:

Full time programs also last about 20 months here. Sept-May for year 1, then intern for a few months, then Sept-may to finish up.
I meant to say 16 months. Two semesters for each scholastic year. I started in September and graduated the following December.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

@SlowMo I'd say it comes down to how set you are on your target(s). If you apply broadly with that profile, good chance you get in somewhere you're happy with. If your heart is set on one place and you get dinged you'll be mad you didn't retest.

Also whether you are going PT vs. FT which I might have missed from an earlier post.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Slow Motion posted:

Vitals:
3.73 GPA Bachelor of Arts from University of Washington (sociology)
11 years experience; 6 years consulting, 5 years industry
Current title: Director of Analytics, 206k base salary, two direct reports and two matrix reports

My main worry is that while 720 is fine, the 57th percentile quant is not.

Yeah as above are you PT or FT? Because putting aside your app, your current title/comp are beyond most FT exits. So you might be disappointed with your opportunities coming out of even a top FT program.

That aside. Your profile is pretty drat good. I've heard only rarely do they care about breakdown at all and quant is super competitive. You are also working in/leading analytics which should assure any adcom you can keep up with business math.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah as above are you PT or FT? Because putting aside your app, your current title/comp are beyond most FT exits. So you might be disappointed with your opportunities coming out of even a top FT program.

That aside. Your profile is pretty drat good. I've heard only rarely do they care about breakdown at all and quant is super competitive. You are also working in/leading analytics which should assure any adcom you can keep up with business math.

Part time for sure. I have a mortgage in Los Angeles that wouldn't survive a two year gap.

My target program is Wharton SF and back ups are UCLA and USC. My whole reason for wanting the thing is to let executive search committees tick the "prestigious MBA" box when they consider me.

The Wharton EMBA admission page specifically called out a desire for a quant percentile about 75 which is what has given me pause.

I think I'll retake it; with the GMAT Online it's pretty stress free to have a sitting. Quant section pacing would seem to be the very most responsive skill to practice. I think two weeks of a couple hours a night would really do wonders. As antiga noted I wouldn't want this to be the fatal flaw.

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 7, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

That all makes sense. Best of luck! Quant def does respond to practice.

Surprised they have specific gmat targets for an emba. Often those programs don't care too much about the gmat. Many even waive it completely, I think.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 7, 2020

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
The prep classes help, esp. with the quant section. I did the Kaplan one although that was a long time ago now so not sure if they are still good / what others there are.

Agreed that a section minimum is odd, I've never heard of that either.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Anyone here go to MIT Sloan? I am applying for the January deadline.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Not that it will be remotely helpful to anyone: I took it two additional times.

Second GMAT Online sitting got the same drat 720, but this time with even better verbal and even worse quant. Also a 7 instead of an 8 on reasoning so gently caress that poo poo. I swear I studied hard for that and got a 760 on the second official practice exam the day before. I registered for a testing center two days later.

First testing center GMAT: 750, 47/46 quant/verbal with another 8 on reasoning. I'm good with this. I didn't study at all. I honestly just think the second online gmat was inconsistent in content with the other two sittings.

Now I have to wonder if I shouldn't throw a couple full time program apps out there just to see if they want to give me money. I doubt I could be tempted away from by current job but you never know.

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 31, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anybody here go through McCombs at UT in Austin? It will be my only choice due to various reasons, so I obviously want to maximize my chances. My undergrad wasn't very great, Baylor with a 2.9 GPA (4.0 in partying), but I am 37 with many years of work experience with the last 8 years being in IT Project Management with a PMP cert on fairly large and complex projects. I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I am quite confident I can get a decent if not great score. I also have some pretty good contacts with strong ties who would put in a good word behind the scenes, which I know this is supposed to be fully merit based, but I can't imagine wouldn't help.

I am not even sure if this is something I will move forward with, but I am just trying to get a feel for how hard it is to get in. If anybody went through it I would love to pick your brain about the experience. I'm looking at the full time program.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I went to McCombs but PT and via one of their other TX city programs. So, only sorta helpful.

I work in tech and I did go through OCR and got a job.

Edit: just saw the last part about getting in.

Well 2.9 is below the average by a decent margin. I think something around a 3.5 is the mean. Can check on UT's admission page for the most recent number. Maybe you catch a break if it's a STEM major but its not favorable to your profile.

If you haven't taken the gmat yet I would take one of the practice tests. Rule of thumb is that you can improve by about 100 points if you really study. Math is easier to improve than verbal. With your gpa looking at needing above the average score which means 700+ .

Project management is prob "okay". It's not going to get you any points for uniqueness or blow anyone away in prestige but it's also not a question mark on if you can cut it in a white collar job.

You're also a little old. Which isn't a problem with a compelling story but again, just not going to pop off a page compared to some of these 20 something wunderkind.

What is your reason for wanting to go and wanting to go FT? Having a compelling reason is big.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2020

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Agree with all the above. Stats-wise, you'll need to SLAY the GMAT. Admissions will want to ensure you can hack the quant courses, so I would advise something at least 20 points higher than median, and definitely above 700. I also had a 2.9 in undergrad, but had a good reason (finished school over 8 years of being in the military) + 740 GMAT and got into a top 10 program. Use any optional essay they offer to explain it, and try to find a better reason than partying. It's doable, but it will be an uphill battle.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I also got into the McCombs Part-time MBA (via Dallas) with a somewhat low GPA (3.1) but was able to score a 700 GMAT. I also focused mainly on my work experience during the interview and I think that helped so you have a lot to pull from on that end.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone have any knowledge/experience around INSEAD, specifically the campus in France? I've just started looking into options for a 1-2 years down the track and it's currently the one that's caught my eye the most.

Background: I'm 33, Finance major, working in a Strategy & Planning role for a large Australasian defense organization (that's as specific as I'll get) and about to move into a team lead position. Currently thinking about the next 5-10 years and MBA seems to me the best way to move up into upper management level positions down the track.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you trying to stay with your current company or not? sounds like you want to stay with your current company based on your post. if so you should figure out what they do for advanced degrees first, there may be an opportunity for them to fund it etc.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Jomo posted:

Anyone have any knowledge/experience around INSEAD, specifically the campus in France? I've just started looking into options for a 1-2 years down the track and it's currently the one that's caught my eye the most.

Background: I'm 33, Finance major, working in a Strategy & Planning role for a large Australasian defense organization (that's as specific as I'll get) and about to move into a team lead position. Currently thinking about the next 5-10 years and MBA seems to me the best way to move up into upper management level positions down the track.

2014 grad here, with the majority of the time spent in Fontainebleau.

AMA!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CarForumPoster posted:

Anyone here go to MIT Sloan? I am applying for the January deadline.

Welp, applied to the EMBA. They have said that people in my scenario have a roughly 0 chance of getting in to the EMBA program, but I applied anyway. Should know in a month or two.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

In at Wharton :toot:

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Grats!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slow Motion posted:

In at Wharton :toot:

W2G!!!!!!

I’m waiting to hear from the Sloan EMBA. I’m hilariously unqualified but I’ve landed more competitive things before so we’ll see. Prob won’t make it but eh I’ll be fine regardless.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

W2G!!!!!!

I’m waiting to hear from the Sloan EMBA. I’m hilariously unqualified but I’ve landed more competitive things before so we’ll see. Prob won’t make it but eh I’ll be fine regardless.

I hear Sloan is a great program and Boston is a fun city. Fingers crossed for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slow Motion posted:

I hear Sloan is a great program and Boston is a fun city. Fingers crossed for you!

TY! They say they're firm on 10 years post undergrad as a minimum, which I don't meet, so I'm realllly trying not to get my hopes up. The EMBA structure is sweet though: 2-4 days per month and 4 week-long modules, done in 20 months. No way I can do a full time with running a business.

EDIT: Didnt get in :eng99:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 26, 2021